Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One more silly question, with netflix in the car do you just login using your normal home account? No issues with not being at home etc?

Yep just login using your own account. It counts as a screen.

Unfortunately what Tesla does not have, despite Elon suggesting 4 years ago they would develop it, is a media player, to play video files from USB stored content. It only has a USB music player.

I know it’s a bit old school (some people are astonished I don’t have a Spotify account, I play all my music from USB) but it would be handy for times internet coverage is poor or nonexistent, or you just want to play your own stuff.

Reactions: dronus and Dayreg

Unfortunately what Tesla does not have, despite Elon suggesting 4 years ago they would develop it, is a media player, to play video files from USB stored content. It only has a USB music player.

I know it’s a bit old school (some people are astonished I don’t have a Spotify account, I play all my music from USB) but it would be handy for times internet coverage is poor or nonexistent, or you just want to play your own stuff.
I just download my main spotify playlist to my phone, most modern phones have more than enough storage (playlist is something like 18 hours of music), means I never have an issue with coverage.

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok and dronus

Ohh very cool, thank you!

I can see where having offline music/video would be handy, i just got back from country victoria and even on telstra, internet was sometimes patchy.

I just download my main spotify playlist to my phone, most modern phones have more than enough storage (playlist is something like 18 hours of music), means I never have an issue with coverage.
I dont really use spotify so ill try the inbuilt apple music, or worse case scenario bluetooth from phone etc. i listen to some podcasts (try and use windscreen time to learn something) so will have to work that out too.
Or, just enjoy the quiet serenity :)

Reactions: sishome and Jules22
on that note are you guys going to continue with premium connectivity for the $10 a month, or do you feel you can get by with just BT and hotspotting from your phone.

Cheers
Im just going to use the premium connectivity, id pay $10 to not have any hassles. Car can connect to my home wifi for updates when its home.
I was watching a review this morning and they were saying that in marginal signal areas the car still had one bar where the phone was out of signal, which was interesting,

Im just going to use the premium connectivity, id pay $10 to not have any hassles. Car can connect to my home wifi for updates when its home.
I was watching a review this morning and they were saying that in marginal signal areas the car still had one bar where the phone was out of signal, which was interesting,
Thanks for that, yeah I'm thinking of getting premium, since its only $10 a month, just wondering with premium can the car then hotspot its signal, so my kids can connect to its 4g wifi via their ipads?

Saves me having to turn on/off my hotspot each time they want wifi on their ipad on road trips

Reactions: dronus
Thanks for that, yeah I'm thinking of getting premium, since its only $10 a month, just wondering with premium can the car then hotspot its signal, so my kids can connect to its 4g wifi via their ipads?

Saves me having to turn on/off my hotspot each time they want wifi on their ipad on road trips
Good Question! Not sure what the data limits (if any) are?
I assume both the Tesla modems have Telstra e-sims?

Reactions: Mes1

No tesla variant in Australia so far has this feature

Can't hotspot from the Tesla SIM.

People have watched hours of Netflix/ other IPTV without getting throttled so don't think any limit on that.

The only limit seems to be watching the sentry CAMs remotely .. you can't stream continuously (something like max 5-10min a day).

As someone without a Spotify sub, it's decent value imho.. also like the traffic overlays on the map. Satellite view meh.

Have any of you guys with m3h given autopilot a good test?
Im curious about the start/stop in traffic especially. Personally, i like driving the car myself but am really interested to hear how it performs.
When i test drove the non highland it was a little slow on take off.
on our Model YLR it seems to have improved recently. I'd say 5 times out of 10 its still a little slow to take off for my liking but i can live with it.

on our Model YLR it seems to have improved recently. I'd say 5 times out of 10 its still a little slow to take off for my liking but i can live with it.
Yeah cool. It did seem to take off but yanno how there is that "natural flow" of traffic it was a secod or so too slow so people behind will probably start honking.. haha

What are the chances this causes an issue in Australia? The more I read up on it the more I am very eager to see what the new deliveries look like. Is there a chance that the early deliveries were not quite Aussie specs?

This isn’t something that the Gov are likely to just let slip when they are so hard enforcing this with other manufacturers.

*** Maybe one could argue that there are only two rear seats in this car. The middle “seat” isn’t really a seat, is so skinny. So nobody is ever putting three child seats in this car. If you want to put a child seat in the middle you could just tether it to the two other tether points. Which kinda makes sense.

Not sure that makes it any more legal though.
This has now been picked up by Drive as an 'exclusive' - Tesla Model 3 electric car under investigation in Australia for possible compliance breach

In a statement to Drive, a spokesperson for the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communication and The Arts said:
"The Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts is aware of concerns regarding the child restraint anchorage points in the 2024 Tesla Model 3 and is looking into this matter.
"Road safety is a top priority of the Australian Government. That is why we have legislated road vehicle standards in place to ensure all road vehicles, both new and used, being provided to the Australian market for the first time meet critical national standards for safety, security and emissions."

Drive has contacted Tesla Australia for comment on the potential breach, and if it plans to pause deliveries and/or recall vehicles already handed over to customers.