Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking for a place in Brisbane I can take my car to either self wash (using my own buckets etc) or have someone wash that follows a basic foam and 2 bucket approach that isn’t on a conga line and won’t charge an arm and a leg for a full detail. It’s surprisingly difficult to find! Seems like there’s a market gap for people who care about maintaining their paintwork and just need a regular external wash.

I’m looking for a place in Brisbane I can take my car to either self wash (using my own buckets etc) or have someone wash that follows a basic foam and 2 bucket approach that isn’t on a conga line and won’t charge an arm and a leg for a full detail. It’s surprisingly difficult to find! Seems like there’s a market gap for people who care about maintaining their paintwork and just need a regular external wash.
I’m not aware if what you describe exists, the price jumps right up as soon as you ask another human to wash the car for you.
When I am travelling, I generally use the self serve “Gun and Brush” car washes. You can get a decent quality wash if you’re careful; blast the brush head clean with the pressure sprayer before using on your car and don’t press too hard. However I have found the detergent they use in the foam brush is designed to generate foam more than remove road film so my chamois often ends up dirty afterwards.
This is the sort of place I’m referring to. P.S. Don’t use the automated tunnels unless you want your paint lightly sanded every time.

Reactions: ezpz and dronus
When I worked out at Mawson lakes one of the guys knew a guy and he would come out and wash our cars for a premium fee.
He set up tents in the carpark to wash under (and the next car was under a tent to cool the paintwork).
He took ages and did an excellent job using all the professional things in his van.
I recall him winning awards for detailing or such.
Would be interesting if something like that still exists

Had my clunky drivers seat looked at on Tuesday at Chatswood, couldn't solve the issue.
Feels like something swinging around when coming to a stop or taking off from a stop.
I can't find anything loose, and they reckon they pulled it out and tightened it all back up.
Still happening...anyone else experiencing same?

Interestingly, checked out 3 Highland LR's while I was there and my car definitely has a different "Typical" line in the consumption chart, and my range when charged to 100% is only 493km, vs 545km in each of the 3 other cars I checked.

Weird part is that no-one there knows how/why/if the "Typical" line in the consumption chart is able to move, or under what conditions.

Even weirder is that my car will actually go further than the 493km so its not like its using my own data to calculate the theoretical 100% fill range.

Advice from service advisor was to report it as it may be a battery voltage problem.

The plot thickens.

Is there any other owners of Highland LR on here that can tell me there range at 100% and or post a picture of their consumption chart?

I get that feeling in the driver’s seat from time to time. I did get them to check it out and they tightened the bolts to spec. It is pretty rare now. Someone else suggested that replacing the bolts (by Tesla) was a fix. Might be worth a search in the wider forums on this site.

As for range calculations, things seem a bit variable as far as estimates go. I confess I’m mostly interested in knowing that I have enough to the next Supercharger on the long trips. Battery health and range seems to be a bit of witchcraft that is beyond me. I’m not saying you’re concerns are silly, but in the end I couldn’t do much about it. Battery management software and cell balancing might be part of it. Attached is an image of my battery performance from the Stats for Tesla app.

IMG_3363.jpeg

I get that feeling in the driver’s seat from time to time. I did get them to check it out and they tightened the bolts to spec. It is pretty rare now. Someone else suggested that replacing the bolts (by Tesla) was a fix. Might be worth a search in the wider forums on this site.

As for range calculations, things seem a bit variable as far as estimates go. I confess I’m mostly interested in knowing that I have enough to the next Supercharger on the long trips. Battery health and range seems to be a bit of witchcraft that is beyond me. I’m not saying you’re concerns are silly, but in the end I couldn’t do much about it. Battery management software and cell balancing might be part of it. Attached is an image of my battery performance from the Stats for Tesla app.

View attachment 1032943
Thanks for the input!

What model/year do you have?

Reactions: Hairyman
Had my clunky drivers seat looked at on Tuesday at Chatswood, couldn't solve the issue.
Feels like something swinging around when coming to a stop or taking off from a stop.
I can't find anything loose, and they reckon they pulled it out and tightened it all back up.
Still happening...anyone else experiencing same?

Interestingly, checked out 3 Highland LR's while I was there and my car definitely has a different "Typical" line in the consumption chart, and my range when charged to 100% is only 493km, vs 545km in each of the 3 other cars I checked.

Weird part is that no-one there knows how/why/if the "Typical" line in the consumption chart is able to move, or under what conditions.

Even weirder is that my car will actually go further than the 493km so its not like its using my own data to calculate the theoretical 100% fill range.

Advice from service advisor was to report it as it may be a battery voltage problem.

The plot thickens.

Is there any other owners of Highland LR on here that can tell me there range at 100% and or post a picture of their consumption chart?

I had a similar issue where the noise was coming from the drivers side seat back area more like a creak/knock sound at times and when you pushed down on it. Mobile tech came out, pulled the back of the seat off and found it was some metal parts rubbing/tapping against the fabric and plastic area (shown in the pic), wrapped some fabric tape around the metal and now the noise is gone.

1711619329159.png

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman and dronus
I had a similar issue where the noise was coming from the drivers side seat back area more like a creak/knock sound at times and when you pushed down on it. Mobile tech came out, pulled the back of the seat off and found it was some metal parts rubbing/tapping against the fabric and plastic area (shown in the pic), wrapped some fabric tape around the metal and now the noise is gone.

View attachment 1032955
Amazing.
Mine feels like it’s coming from lower back, but to be honest it could be anywhere in the seat and as it’s intermittent it’s hard to pin down.
I am going to give this a look.
Seat back seems to only be hooked on by a few straps at the bottom.
I’ll report back.

So a page or so we were talking about cleaning tips.
If my car is just dusty from day to day dust can you use something like a detailer spray to give it a clean instead of having to go thru the whole wet wash thing?
I mean the roof is easy being glass, but are the “quick detailer” spray with a few clean microfibre cloths recommended?

Reactions: Tesl3on
If my car is just dusty from day to day dust can you use something like a detailer spray to give it a clean instead of having to go thru the whole wet wash thing?
I mean the roof is easy being glass, but are the “quick detailer” spray with a few clean microfibre cloths recommended?
Bowdens do a rinseless wash called Dry Spell. Essentially you have a bunch of a microfibre towels in a bucket filled with the wash solution, but there is some technique involved to avoid scratching. I’ve never used it because even if the car is only dusty I always get the full washing kit out as I’m OCD with micro scratches.

Otherwise you could probably get away with using a snow foam cannon, rinse off and blow dry. For this option I would avoid using a drying towel and keep the wash 100% contactless. There are specific blow dryers which have a filter, but plenty of people just use a leaf blower. Because your car is ceramic coated a blower will work well. Big Boi do a range of blowers, which are available at Repco etc.

There are water filtration systems (if you want to go even further) that remove all the harsh minerals that leave water spots. Again, Big Boi do them.

Pan the Organizer on YouTube is a great watch for car washing tips if you ever get bored. Very, very knowledgeable.

Reactions: dronus
No problem with quick cleaning methods if you dont mind micro-scratches that cause swirl marks, especially visible on dark coloured paint.

The above comment about ‘pan the organiser’ is good advice. He’s a bit long winded but some excellent tutorials and recommendations, with demonstrations to prove his point.

Reactions: Tesl3on and dronus
Got my car ceramic coated which doesn't make it immune to dirt but it does make cleaning a hell of a lot easier. At the end of a wash I just use my bigboi blower to dry the car the water just beads off and I never have water spots.

Great product, more powerful and easier to use than my leaf blower: BigBoi Blowr Buddi Jnr
I also use a big boi blower on my ceramic coatings, although I prefer the more powerfull corded unit. Got a long hose so it can go fully around the car. It’s a lot easier than towel dry. I’ve found the quickest method is dry to 90%, then mist each panel with the gtech ceramic detailer recommended for ceramic coatings, then wipe each panel with the recommended cloth. Results in a very nice outcome that is fast and not overly strenuous

I also use a big boi blower on my ceramic coatings, although I prefer the more powerfull corded unit. Got a long hose so it can go fully around the car. It’s a lot easier than towel dry. I’ve found the quickest method is dry to 90%, then mist each panel with the gtech ceramic detailer recommended for ceramic coatings, then wipe each panel with the recommended cloth. Results in a very nice outcome that is fast and not overly strenuous
Must be popular, almost not in stock anywhere! SCA Richmond has them, Repco is all order 1-3 days which means mid next week.

Reactions: TE5L4
Must be popular, almost not in stock anywhere! SCA Richmond has them, Repco is all order 1-3 days which means mid next week.
Definitely is and because your car is ceramic coated the water should just slide off the car. I wouldn't recommend using a blower to dry your car if it wasn't properly ceramic coated or treated with wax as it would make drying the car much harder.

Definitely is and because your car is ceramic coated the water should just slide off the car. I wouldn't recommend using a blower to dry your car if it wasn't properly ceramic coated or treated with wax as it would make drying the car much harder.
I’m thinking about stepping up to the second one, got a long weekend to think about it I guess