Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sounds like some waze-like functionality is on the way for the Tesla, I was reading yesterday there is some code in the next version which can automatically share roadworks, hazards etc that the car detects with other Teslas and display/warn on the maps for all others going through that area, not sure if it will also have a manual report function.

Reactions: cafz and dronus
Ohh cool thanks that does look good.
My only concern would be that if it covers part of the screen on my highland I might not be able to change gears hahaha
Yeah they have a bad photo on their site. It doesn’t cover the screen on my Y but that will depend on the bezel size of the highland and how big your phone is. Mine is a 14pro. Not the plus size. I guess this is the wrong thread for this but couldn’t help as I love this mount

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 42
The problem I have found and hoping someone may have a solution is that you have to connect via Bluetooth for waze to be audible on the car but then if you choose some different music on Spotify or a radio station it switches off Bluetooth and you lose the waze alerts.
There is a setting Waze to choose phone speaker for alerts. Works fine.
IMG_4292.png

It sounds like some waze-like functionality is on the way for the Tesla, I was reading yesterday there is some code in the next version which can automatically share roadworks, hazards etc that the car detects with other Teslas and display/warn on the maps for all others going through that area, not sure if it will also have a manual report function.
Would be good if they could just add the Cop notification function to the Tesla nav and I wouldnt need to use Waze :)

Reactions: dronus
Would be good if they could just add the Cop notification function to the Tesla nav and I wouldnt need to use Waze :)
Yeah, I'm hoping that there will be a manual report function and that either there is an option to report radar, or something that can be used as a substitute to indicate radar.

Would be great if the camera automatically picked them up and reported them, lol, but I think that'll be a little way off yet.

Yeah, I'm hoping that there will be a manual report function and that either there is an option to report radar, or something that can be used as a substitute to indicate radar.

Would be great if the camera automatically picked them up and reported them, lol, but I think that'll be a little way off yet.
One can only assume reporting “safety cameras” which are there “to keep us safe” can only “keep us safer” the more people know where they are placed in “unsafe locations which have a high volume of accidents” and are not at all about “safe revenue” haha. My fingers are sore from doing the quote thing.
Yeah doesn’t have to be “report police” - can be “mark a place of interest with this blue flashing icon” haha

I seem to go thru this cycle when getting a new NL car, start off wiping every spec of dust off it every day and then by the end of the lease im rally driving it down dirt roads. I still care for it, wash it regularly and am OCD about servicing. Having a dark car doesn't help with dust, i remember it used to just fall off but now its like a magnet.
I'm a month into ownership, and already it's starting to be a dust bucket! Additionally, I got the ceramic coating (GTechniq) and I swear it's made it so slippery, when I'm sitting on the boot lip getting my MTB gear on or off, if I'm not careful I'll slide right off :)

Then again, yesterday we pulled into an Evie charger and a Model Y pulled in next to us and it was filthy. Then an XC40 recharge pulled in in front of us, waiting for a charger to free up, and it made us both look good :)

• Funny
I'm a month into ownership, and already it's starting to be a dust bucket! Additionally, I got the ceramic coating (GTechniq) and I swear it's made it so slippery, when I'm sitting on the boot lip getting my MTB gear on or off, if I'm not careful I'll slide right off :)

Then again, yesterday we pulled into an Evie charger and a Model Y pulled in next to us and it was filthy. Then an XC40 recharge pulled in in front of us, waiting for a charger to free up, and it made us both look good :)
How are you finding your M3LR? Any words of wisdom for those us us in the waiting vortex?

FYI, not sure this has been confirmed anywhere else, but I had been led to think that the speaker in the roof bar was only going to be in the AWD model. However in this video out of Dubai it shows it in what appears to be a RWD model, certainly there is no long range badge on the rear…

How are you finding your M3LR? Any words of wisdom for those us us in the waiting vortex?
Hehe, good question! I rewrote this a couple of times, so hopefully it doesn't come out as a jumble.

Driving in the city is great. Mostly it's just like any other car, except:
  • the acceleration, which gets better the more you use it
  • nice and quiet inside the cabin, and no ICE noise
  • good visibility, except for the A pillar and out the back (blocked by the rear shelf a little)
  • charging at home is just excellent
  • you probably will curb the wheels at least once :)
  • one pedal driving, superb
Stuff that I thought would matter that doesn't: big turning circle, the weight of the car (I'm coming from a much lighter car though), speedo location, no rear-traffic or blindspot warning.

On the highway, it drives beautifully, and overtaking is sooooo easy. Regen is an absolute highlight, and range is no problem at all.

We just did our first overnight trial run, down to the South Coast of NSW, and the only hitch was charging. We were mid-way between two supercharger sites (Batemans Bay) so we were counting on the local DC chargers. All three of the NRMA chargers were out of order. Plugshare was invaluable, but one we thought was working and wasn't, and we wasted a bit of time on the phone to NRMA trying to figure it out. The Evie chargers worked fine, except my Telstra mobile signal failed right there, and I'd forgotten my RFID card. Luckily, my partner's phone is on Optus and that worked. But a good lesson learnt. Also, the couple charging next to us couldn't remove the charging cable for some reason, so ended up using what I assume is the emergency release latch under the bonnet, and that reset our charging session too (and then I couldn't get back into the app as the mobile signal died). So we went down to Moruya for a bit, came back, and tried again. A bit stressful for our first away from home charge.

E: people at charging sites can be really helpful and friendly. We had some great chats.

So, no problems with the car :) You'll love it!

Oh, and your relationship with the phone app will dramatically change after you get the car :)

Last edited:
Hehe, good question! I rewrote this a couple of times, so hopefully it doesn't come out as a jumble.

Driving in the city is great. Mostly it's just like any other car, except:
  • the acceleration, which gets better the more you use it
  • nice and quiet inside the cabin, and no ICE noise
  • good visibility, except for the A pillar and out the back (blocked by the rear shelf a little)
  • charging at home is just excellent
  • you probably will curb the wheels at least once :)
  • one pedal driving, superb
Stuff that I thought would matter that doesn't: big turning circle, the weight of the car (I'm coming from a much lighter car though), speedo location, no rear-traffic or blindspot warning.

On the highway, it drives beautifully, and overtaking is sooooo easy. Regen is an absolute highlight, and range is no problem at all.

We just did our first overnight trial run, down to the South Coast of NSW, and the only hitch was charging. We were mid-way between two supercharger sites (Batemans Bay) so we were counting on the local DC chargers. All three of the NRMA chargers were out of order. Plugshare was invaluable, but one we thought was working and wasn't, and we wasted a bit of time on the phone to NRMA trying to figure it out. The Evie chargers worked fine, except my Telstra mobile signal failed right there, and I'd forgotten my RFID card. Luckily, my partner's phone is on Optus and that worked. But a good lesson learnt. Also, the couple charging next to us couldn't remove the charging cable for some reason, so ended up using what I assume is the emergency release latch under the bonnet, and that reset our charging session too (and then I couldn't get back into the app as the mobile signal died). So we went down to Moruya for a bit, came back, and tried again. A bit stressful for our first away from home charge.

E: people at charging sites can be really helpful and friendly. We had some great chats.

So, no problems with the car :) You'll love it!

Oh, and your relationship with the phone app will dramatically change after you get the car :)
Awesome post, thank you very much for sharing all the real world experiences! Glad you are loving it, im sure the nuances will get ironed out in time.

As for kerbing the wheels, i also did that on day 2 when i bought my new Calais, its really hard to tell where the side of the car is in relation to the gutter!

I see screen shots of peoples Tesla App changing when a car is associated with it, really looking forward to that and not having the same TBD screen haha.

Enjoy, and thanks again for the info, its really helpful!

Update question:

Is anyone here still awaiting delivery of a non-highland model 3? If so, what and when did you order it and do you have an ETA?
Looking thru inventory there seems to only be M3LR available which is interesting..

Bonus question:
Im matching up shipping for M3 and MY to see if Giga Shanghai ship both models on the same ship. Does anyone have any info on this?