Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding was it could be 'local laws'. Australia have mandated that all cars sold from 2025 must have rear parking sensors as well as cameras. Of course, that could mean Tesla have a year to worry about it and add them.
Would all depend on the wording.
A camera is definitely a sensor, and with the right software can also measure distances.

Suspect the name of the Tesla exec was removed at request.

Would all depend on the wording.
A camera is definitely a sensor, and with the right software can also measure distances.

Suspect the name of the Tesla exec was removed at request.
Yup, cameras are sensors

“Known as 'Australian Design Rule 108/00 – Reversing Technologies', the new mandate is based on the United Nations Regulation No 46, which requires all new cars sold in Europe to be fitted with a reversing detection system by mid 2024.
In the US, all new cars built after May 2018 have rear-view cameras fitted by law.
The new Australian laws mandate drivers must have the ability to be made aware of objects that are directly behind the vehicle at up to a distance of 3.5 metres.”

Reactions: dronus
The below articles states 'in the meantime, deliveries for the new Model 3 will begin in December, with an order placed today offering a delivery timeframe of between Jan-March 2024'

Hopefully that was something mentioned at the press event yesterday but I haven't seen it reported elsewhere yet.

****en A, there were so many points he was fumbling around, even his wife Joy knew more about it that he did. But i get it, we are breathing every single detail of this car. He was at a press event, in a dark space, jostling for time with the car, and therefore just straight up didnt know much of what he was looking at. But still, he's supposed to be one of the foremost experts in AU on tesla!

Takeaways from me:
  • Extreme disappointment on USS, I had heard from a Tesla insider (not a SA) that USS was still a thing for us...
  • The red looks ****ing amazing, Murphster, you and i have chosen correctly, all others have failed miserably
  • The cars must have been in the country for a little while, interesting no one had spotted them
  • I've decided to not go to any events as i want to see the car in person for the first time when i pick it up, just so it feels even more special
Feels very close now boys!
@Jules22 has ordered a red one too, i hope there is more than 2 on that boat!

I still wouldn't rule it out. If there is such a thing as an "Australian model" then these cars are unlikely to be them anyway. We don't know when they got here and would be as likely to be models made for Malaysia or any other Asian left hand drive countries that got their allocation before us.

Not saying there could be USS, but IMO these cars are not a reason to think there isn't.
They might have just been the demo models doing the rounds, made some time ago.

If someone goes to the reveal thing this weekend, can you check the build date on the screen for us? That would be really interesting!

Ohh yes.
Personally i dont think a car needs to go any faster, unless you are racing it. less than 3.3sec to 100kmh?
Its almost unsafe having a car that can accelerate that fast in todays traffic... in Adelaide especially where the average ping response between brain and body is 15 seconds... other road users wont see it coming... hahaha

My personal preference is good performance, but longer distance manufactured responsibly so we can make an even lower dent on the environment and our hip pockets :)
Agree with this - power when needed (e.g. Overtaking on a country road) but otherwise I think Australian road laws are too prohibitive to justify the cost of performance vehicles.

Reactions: X Æ A-12
I don't want to annoy people, but Davey on the UK forum has been given a delivery date of Feb24th for his Model 3....

Seems weird that the UK are getting dates already, no?

2023 Shipping Movements
I think a ship was loading not so long ago to go to UK but had to go via somewhere else, i dont have the source on me. I reakon its a fair hike distance wise too..

Oh my god.. if this happens to any of us... (From the UK thread)..:rolleyes:

"So I went to pick up my new Tesla Model 3 last week on Tuesday and didn't get to go home with it because there were issues with the car. The Tesla thought it was still in Shanghai and the time was also set to Shanghai time. After waiting a few hours they couldn't fix it and sent me home with a loaner car (Tesla Model 3 LR from 2019). Have been calling numerous times but they don't give me an update and earlier this week my VIN was removed from the app. Today the delivery time changed to between 17 december and 31 december, but still no VIN. So I'm assuming they're not able to fix it and giving me a different car. Is there already a ship on the way to Zeebrugge that's planned for between 17 and 31 december?"

Reactions: X Æ A-12
Oh my god.. if this happens to any of us... (From the UK thread)..:rolleyes:

"So I went to pick up my new Tesla Model 3 last week on Tuesday and didn't get to go home with it because there were issues with the car. The Tesla thought it was still in Shanghai and the time was also set to Shanghai time. After waiting a few hours they couldn't fix it and sent me home with a loaner car (Tesla Model 3 LR from 2019). Have been calling numerous times but they don't give me an update and earlier this week my VIN was removed from the app. Today the delivery time changed to between 17 december and 31 december, but still no VIN. So I'm assuming they're not able to fix it and giving me a different car. Is there already a ship on the way to Zeebrugge that's planned for between 17 and 31 december?"
Bro I’ll move to Shanghai