Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re coatings and ppf, I have always detailed my own cars religiously and I'll be doing a 3 year ceramic coating myself after a decon and clay followed by a hydrophobic spray coat. I just don't see ppf being worth it for a daily driver and it's soooo expensive. I'd rather maintain a short life ceramic coating than pay heaps for someone to apply a "10 year" coating.
I know this is an old message, but did you do a machine polish on your highland before applying the coating? If so, just wondering what pad/compund combination you used.

Gavarse, where are you getting the graphene coating and tinting done and what's the cost like. Got quoted 1750 by tint a car. Includes ceramic coating, interior protection and darkest legal ceramic tint. To be honest seems a really good price but wanted to know how much they charging for graphene and tint.
I paid about the same from tint a car.

Reactions: allblackm3
I was thinking ceramic coating would be cheaper on a Tesla as the whole roof is glass. Unless you ceramic coat glass?
I’ve had both our 3 and Y ceramic coated and yes in both instances they ceramic coated all the glass. Initially I thought it was a bit silly putting what is essentially a glass like coating on actual glass but it does make a huge difference. So much so that when I had the Y done I asked them to specifically not put the coating on the windscreen because when my 3 was done it made the wipers almost useless. They would constantly skip/jump and make a loud vibrating noise and get hardly any water off. I didn’t get the coating done until about a month after I got the car so I knew the wipers were fine before then. But the very next rain after I had the coating put on was just shocking. Well it started out ok, the rain was rapidly sliding off the windscreen by itself when it was just spitting but once it got too heavy for that to be enough and I had to put the wipers on it was crap as and actually quite dangerous. I spoke to the place that did it and they said it can happen sometimes and to just wash the windscreen a heap of times. So I washed and washed with a soft scrubbing brush for ages and they finally started working again.
So when I did the Y I told them not to do the windscreen but to still do the rest of the glass and the beading difference is quite obvious when you look at the glass just above the windscreen compared the the windscreen itself.

Gavarse, where are you getting the graphene coating and tinting done and what's the cost like. Got quoted 1750 by tint a car. Includes ceramic coating, interior protection and darkest legal ceramic tint. To be honest seems a really good price but wanted to know how much they charging for graphene and tint.
Hi

I am using New Car Protection Packages | SECD Vehicle Coatings, $1500 for graphene / tint and review was good, this not part of Novated lease so out of my packet, price seems reasonable.

My Journey to Becoming a Tesla Owner​

It all started in December 2023, when I took a test drive of the Tesla Model Y. As a long-time driver of Japanese vehicles, I found the left-hand side turn signal in the Model Y a bit uncomfortable and didnt go with Model Y booking.

In January 2024, I test drove the Highland and was impressed with its improvements. I had hoped that these enhancements would be implemented in the Model Y as well. However, I learned that the improved Model Y would only be available in 2025.

After some consideration, I decided to book the Model 3 Highland in March. Unlike other car companies, Tesla operates differently. There’s no direct communication with any representative; instead, everything is managed through the Tesla App. I booked the car and paid the deposit $400.

The app kept me updated at every stage of the process - from VIN allocation once the vehicle was built, to the vehicle registration form, and even the estimated delivery date. Interestingly, Tesla also shares the details of the vessel carrying our allocated car. Tracking the ship became a daily ritual, a mix of annoyance and excitement, akin to a child waiting for a Christmas present.

There were 3 price reductions from Tesla between the date we booked and the delivery date. All 3 savings were passed on to us, enabling us to save $7k

When it came to the delivery date, Tesla sent an SMS offering two days to pick with different time slots. We chose our preferred day and time slot in the app. On the day of delivery, we arrived at the Tesla center a bit early - 15 min before the delivery slot.

The front office staff greeted us warmly and took the ID proof of the registered person. We were asked to start the delivery process in the app and then wait in the hospitality lounge. Another gentleman greeted us in the lounge and took us back to the delivery area.

Our car was ready with the Vic roads registration document and number plate mounted. We checked the name and VIN details, ensuring they matched the car and registration. After confirming and accepting in the app, we were congratulated and officially became Tesla owners.

We had our custom number plate and asked him to swap. He did, and we called Vic roads and changed the number in Vic roads as well. The vehicle had a 75% charge and was recommended to charge till 80%. I set the driver profile and adjusted the seat, side mirrors, etc.

I had my checklist and checked the car but didn’t do fully as the car was not having any issue and Tesla has done a good pre-delivery inspection. We took a couple of photos with our new car and left Tesla.

And that’s how I became a proud owner of a Tesla. The journey was unique and exciting, and I look forward to many adventures with my new car.