Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How's the attached for objective? Honestly. I get that people pride themselves on being stoic and what they believe to be mature. But if you're cool with this, you're stoic to the point of being a doormat.
It's not objective at all, but simply cherry picked. Only the 3P has the earlier edd. The 3 and 3LR are both Jan - Mar 2023, not that different from Aus Feb - May 2023

Last edited:
Reactions: Lerxt
The issue here is not that it is not possible but that the products don't yet really exists for what you want. And may in the end cost more than you would think.

The AC charger on-board the Tesla is rated to 11KW on three phase 3 * 16 amps and 7KW on single phase 32amps(it actually re-configures two of the 16 amp AC charges into a series configuration to get you the 32 amps, but I digress). But here is the trick, the AC charger you are going to install(or the mobile charger that comes with the car) is not a charger at all, it is an Electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE) but everyone calls them chargers and it doesn't normally hurt to think of them like that. You already own the 'expensive' bit the 11kw on-board charger. The EVSE is just a smart/fancy power point/cable with a different connector on the other end.

I too am looking at upgrading my solar installation. You are closer than you might think in having a DC to DC system. Take for example the Sungrow 10KW hybrid inverter,
hybrid being that it can take both the DC solar and convert it to AC for your home, or take the DC solar and charge a DC battery. Co-incidentally this would also give you around 11KW of DC battery charging as it is rated to charge the DC battery at 30Amps and the tesla battery is around 360-370Volts. So Power = Voltage * Current so 30*370 gives you 11.1KW.

Now the issue here is that this hybrid inverter doesn't know how to talk to the CCS port on you car to access the DC battery. With the right smart adapter between the hybrid inverter and the CCS port it is theoretically possible to then charge the car off this hybrid inverter coming directly from the DC solar. As far as I know, no such smart adapter exists.

The way things are going at the moment, with home solar systems often having a separate solar inverter, and then separate AC coupled battery containing its own inverter and what looks like to be the next separate inverter, is another for Vehicle to Grid, V2G, with what is being termed a bi-directional charger. A few of these exist but are expensive, around 10K I believe, and tesla likely, at least for now, prevents current flowing out of the CCS port and allowing its battery to be used in the configuration. Though this should be able to be updated with a software change in theory.

Maybe in the future we will in fact end up with tribrid solar inverters/battery charger/discharger that talk to vehicles and/or home batteries. But I think we are a little way off that. And I could forsee that type of inverter being in the same sort of price range as the sungrow linked above as there is only really one piece missing from that inverter which would be the ability to talk to the CCS connected battery on wheels and maybe an additional contactor.
there is a reason you don't use DC to DC, Note I am an Incorporated Electrical Engineer, the gen3 is a little bit more than an AC plug.....

Reactions: rtvanda
there is a reason you don't use DC to DC, Note I am an Incorporated Electrical Engineer, the gen3 is a little bit more than an AC plug.....
If you are referring to your earlier comment,
"after research i found that dc fast charging can be more harmful to the battery due to overheating the cells.....stick to AC"
then the reason there that 'DC' is consider more harmful is not the AC vs DC but rather the power. DC fast chargers are 50KW plus, superchargers more like 120KW to 250KW. The DC charging I am referring to here would be at the same power level as the high end of AC charging. How do you think the AC charger on board the Tesla works? It is converting that 11KW AC to a suitable DC level for charging the battery, you could be pedantic and call that DC charging. Conversely the DC to DC charging will typically involve some form of PWM which you might want to think of as being AC but yes DC to DC does get more complicated than that. But the point I was making was that there is a lot of shared power electronics, expensive bits, that a solar hybrid inverter already contains that can perform both solar DC to household AC and solar DC to DC battery and DC battery to household AC.

The Tesla Gen3 really does just have AC, single or three phase, connected to it and then passes that 'straight' through to the car after informing the car what type of supply it is connected to. 'Straight' through is controlled via a contactor which is not energized until after it knows the car knows what is connected but this really is just a way of passing through the AC from the wall to the car. There is no 'charging' in this Tesla Gen3, same as any other of this class of device.

Now there is an extra issue that I really wish Tesla would address is that it is currently programmed to always actively heat the battery if connected to a DC source. For the Jolt 25KW DC chargers, for example, this makes no sense, in general. The 25KW is of the same order as the 22KW AC charging that some Teslas even support. What is not clear to me is whether this is all Tesla's fault or not as I do not know the CCS charging standard enough but I would think that the 25KW DC charger is advertising it max power level. I suspect a similar thing holds for even the 50KW DC chargers where there could be more power available to the battery if less or no active battery heating occurs. Now there are always disclaimers, if the battery actually is really cold it may still need to heat the battery, even under AC, but the Tesla, whether solely Tesla at fault, does seem to treat the AC and DC charge connections with heating differently for the same power level and temperature which you might be able to argue might have a negative effect.

If you are referring to your earlier comment,
"after research i found that dc fast charging can be more harmful to the battery due to overheating the cells.....stick to AC"
then the reason there that 'DC' is consider more harmful is not the AC vs DC but rather the power. DC fast chargers are 50KW plus, superchargers more like 120KW to 250KW. The DC charging I am referring to here would be at the same power level as the high end of AC charging. How do you think the AC charger on board the Tesla works? It is converting that 11KW AC to a suitable DC level for charging the battery, you could be pedantic and call that DC charging. Conversely the DC to DC charging will typically involve some form of PWM which you might want to think of as being AC but yes DC to DC does get more complicated than that. But the point I was making was that there is a lot of shared power electronics, expensive bits, that a solar hybrid inverter already contains that can perform both solar DC to household AC and solar DC to DC battery and DC battery to household AC.

The Tesla Gen3 really does just have AC, single or three phase, connected to it and then passes that 'straight' through to the car after informing the car what type of supply it is connected to. 'Straight' through is controlled via a contactor which is not energized until after it knows the car knows what is connected but this really is just a way of passing through the AC from the wall to the car. There is no 'charging' in this Tesla Gen3, same as any other of this class of device.

Now there is an extra issue that I really wish Tesla would address is that it is currently programmed to always actively heat the battery if connected to a DC source. For the Jolt 25KW DC chargers, for example, this makes no sense, in general. The 25KW is of the same order as the 22KW AC charging that some Teslas even support. What is not clear to me is whether this is all Tesla's fault or not as I do not know the CCS charging standard enough but I would think that the 25KW DC charger is advertising it max power level. I suspect a similar thing holds for even the 50KW DC chargers where there could be more power available to the battery if less or no active battery heating occurs. Now there are always disclaimers, if the battery actually is really cold it may still need to heat the battery, even under AC, but the Tesla, whether solely Tesla at fault, does seem to treat the AC and DC charge connections with heating differently for the same power level and temperature which you might be able to argue might have a negative effect.
used to design power inverters VSD's and regenerative units, same as Prius and Tesla use , it's nothing new, I just like how Tesla has made it happen in automotive as it was all boring wind and solar i got out.

Mhmm. Those would be the 3 and 3LRs which are currently being delivered that were ordered in March. That's 3 months.

What's the EDD for a Model 3 Performance in Australia again?
There are none so blind ...
Suggest that you do a little research and spend more than 5 seconds casually scanning a limited database before making expansive claims about how well UK is doing.

Look through the uk order to delivery thread and the uk model 3 waiting thread and you will see that the vast bulk of deliveries there are MY.
Of the M3 deliveries most are for orders from Nov 21 to Feb 22, with just three - an LR and two P from March orders. There are at least 10 active users who have Jan or Feb orders who don't have vins. So the three March order deliveries are the outliers.

This looks exactly like what we could have expected if we had Q2 deliveries in Australia.

So you can't really complain yet. Tesla preemptively explained that Aust was going to miss Q2 deliveries. They have NOT said that we are going to miss Q3 and I am personally optimistic that the Q3 deliveries will happen.

In the unlikely event that they don't then you can bittch as much as you like. I'll probably join you.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrewBytes
There are none so blind ...
Suggest that you do a little research and spend more than 5 seconds casually scanning a limited database before making expansive claims about how well UK is doing.

Look through the uk order to delivery thread and the uk model 3 waiting thread and you will see that the vast bulk of deliveries there are MY.
Of the M3 deliveries most are for orders from Nov 21 to Feb 22, with just three - an LR and two P from March orders. There are at least 10 active users who have Jan or Feb orders who don't have vins. So the three March order deliveries are the outliers.

This looks exactly like what we could have expected if we had Q2 deliveries in Australia.

So you can't really complain yet. Tesla preemptively explained that Aust was going to miss Q2 deliveries. They have NOT said that we are going to miss Q3 and I am personally optimistic that the Q3 deliveries will happen.

In the unlikely event that they don't then you can bittch as much as you like. I'll probably join you.
Dude. You brought the database we were scanning. And you didn't answer my question.

I have been reading the UK forums. My take is different.

Thanks for the permission for when i can complain? But i'll be advocating for our market without your permission, boss. I'm not waiting around until after it potentially goes pear shaped this time.

Last time in Q2 they ran out of time for Aus builds and that was it for the quarter because they switched to domestic.

The time before that in Q1 (for our November friends) they ran out of time for Aus builds and that was it for the quarter. If we get bumped to Q4, everything also shuts down for a month in Australia over Xmas. Plus the backlog increases again. That concerns me. Last time they favoured UK, this time i want them to favour Australia. Simple as that.

You wait patiently and i'll do my thing which doesn't affect you in any way. But good to know you'll join me after it's happened.

Why don't you want me to try and get some answers out of Tesla or try to influence us being bumped to Q4 out of curiosity?

Reactions: Draco
I'm not worried about my car being delivered during the quoted time (6-9 months from March), what I'm concerned about is being kicked down the queue because I'm in South Australia.

My app doesn't show me any estimated date, and I've confirmed the same as others here in Adelaide. I'm worried that people on the east coast who ordered after me will get their car before me. I know that people who have ordered after me have estimations in their app, and I don't. I just want to know that my car is actually coming and others closer to the shipping ports aren't getting preferential treatment.
Not only in Adelaide, I'm in Brisbane with March order and still says 6-9 months. #sigh
😟

Dude. You brought the database we were scanning. And you didn't answer my question.

I have been reading the UK forums. My take is different.

Thanks for the permission for when i can complain? But i'll be advocating for our market without your permission, boss. I'm not waiting around until after it potentially goes pear shaped this time.

Last time in Q2 they ran out of time for Aus builds and that was it for the quarter because they switched to domestic.

The time before that in Q1 (for our November friends) they ran out of time for Aus builds and that was it for the quarter. If we get bumped to Q4, everything also shuts down for a month in Australia over Xmas. Plus the backlog increases again. That concerns me. Last time they favoured UK, this time i want them to favour Australia. Simple as that.

You wait patiently and i'll do my thing which doesn't affect you in any way. But good to know you'll join me after it's happened.

Why don't you want me to try and get some answers out of Tesla or try to influence us being bumped to Q4 out of curiosity?
I have been watching this for a couple of days now and I think you are jumping the gun.
Mine is a December order and when you look back at everything it is not really Tesla's fault that this has happened.

Planning the production run is done months in advance. So let's say late October at the latest they decide what to build in January-Mar (Q1).
If you were around then you would have known that Tesla AU actually had inventory for sale that was already in the country or coming in Q4 that was not yet sold.
Tesla decide on a number and to their surprise orders between November - January explode and all of a sudden they didn't have enough cars planned.
Yes this sucks and is a small oversight by them but you need to remember they use historical data to come up with their production run numbers.
So all in all they basically decided to build x amount of cars early on in the piece and got orders for more than that amount of cars.

Tesla then decides what to build for Q2 in lets say late Jan at the latest.
This would be enough to fill the backlog from Q1 and also try and predict orders moving forward. You have to remember again though they will be looking at historical data too.
Shanghai then goes into a 3 week lockdown BEFORE Q2 production started. Tesla actually informs order holders early that unfortunately due to the lockdown in Shanghai Australia is going to miss their production run slot in early April so we will be receiving zero cars in Q2.

We did manage to get a very small run of 150 cars onto a ship which was to replace aging Model 3 demo stock and set up Australia for Model Y.
Tesla then tried to fix some of the backlog by offering some of the Model 3 demos for sale and some of the existing Model 3 demos for sale.
Basically Q2 would have been a mess at the factory with trying to work out where they can get cars to and maximizing production levels.
Remember they also had to put in place a closed loop manufacturing facility and get people back to work.

So now we are at the present day. The factory is currently finishing off domestic production and should be switching to export by weeks end.
At this stage we know the factory is running at or near 100% capacity. Yes there are some upgrades planned but these are not planned for when the Aus build slots happen. Do you think it is a conspiracy from Tesla that we have not received our cars or do you see this side of events?
From everything we can see Tesla should be building Aus cars this quarter.

At this point jumping up and down like a mad man is not going to be fixing anything for Q3 anyway because the production schedules are all locked in.
Barring any flu, monkeypox or other disease outbreak we should be fine this quarter now.

What are your thoughts on this? Also can you let me know when your order date was and the estimated delivery timeframe you had when ordering?

The data you have just outlined says that.

We all have Aug - Oct or Aug - Nov In here if we ordered anywhere from November to February/March.

The bulk of the orders on the spreadsheet without VIN allocations you outlined are March onwards. Anyone from March onwards in here has either 6-9 (not sure if there any of those left) or 9-12 months.

Aside from a couple of outliers, very few prior to March feature at all, indicating they likely aren't an issue/have been delivered.

I'm pretty sure "people in (the bigger market that is) the UK have got their orders now, why haven't we?" is in fact an entirely valid question.

How's the attached for objective? Honestly. I get that people pride themselves on being stoic and what they believe to be mature. But if you're cool with this, you're stoic to the point of being a doormat.
I know the situation is frustrating for you. You’ve repeatedly made that very clear.

Please don’t start accusing people that have a different perspective than you of being things they’re not. For myself, I’m not being stoic. I am being what would generally be considered mature. And for the personal attack, I’m no doormat.

It’s funny how we look at the same information and see a different picture, isn’t it?

Yes "people in (the bigger market that is) the UK have got their orders now, why haven't we?" is an entirely valid question. That’s why I wrote it. It is not, however, of itself, an argument supporting one particular course of action or another. Perhaps if we answered the question, we’d make more informed choices about what to do. Btw. I hinted at one particular area to focus on (UK is a bigger market) because I think, from Tesla’s point of view, this is key to answering the question.

G'day Gokk. welcome.
I've not been explicitly in marketing, but have some knowledge of the field.
I have been around long enough to remember the old adage "the customer is always right", and attitudes like lookingafter the customer - as you say it builds loyalty, and loyalty builds $$$. However, I am also aware of a new trend that maybe the old adage has passed its use-by date. Manybusiness are now more inclined t olook after not the customer, but their sales staff. When SAs are happy they'll look after the customer and revenues.
I fear that Tesla has adopted a version of that mindset.
Thanks rtvanda, yeah that could definitely be what's happening. Here's hoping those sales staff are receiving accurate and up-to-date information over the next few weeks...

Reactions: rtvanda