Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I'm trying to sell mine too. I have it on Carsales, and have had a couple of bites, but nothing solid yet. My fallback plan is to accept either the lease co or Tesla's trade in price.
An uber rider swore that Grays Online is the place to go. I have no experience with it personally though.

And another Canberran. There are dozens of us, dozens! :D
No surprise there. While we have too many apartments (no power to parking spaces), those who could use an EV have probably already given more consideration to it than folks elsewhere in Australia. Even though our 80-100km/h main roads are murder on EV battery range. When I'm ubering around Sutho Shire in my 1/2020 SR+, I go through 12% SoC per hour. Wollongong is 15%/hr. Canberra is 20%/hr.

Is there any advantage or requirement to purchase through a novated lease, as opposed to the business just buying the car outright? Do we still get the FBT exemption etc?
In case anyone is interested, I checked with my accountant, who confirmed that my business can buy the Tesla outright, even if for mostly personal use, claim it all as an expense, claim back the GST as input tax credits, no FBT to pay. Also applies to charging, accessories, on road costs, insurance etc. This effectively halves the cost of the car! No need to go through a lease or pay interest on a lease.

Last edited:
In case anyone is interested, I checked with my accountant, who confirmed that my business can buy the Tesla outright, even if for mostly personal use, claim it all as an expense, claim back the GST as input tax credits, no FBT to pay. Also applies to charging, accessories, on road costs, insurance etc. This effectively halves the cost of the car! No need to go through a lease or pay interest on a lease.
I'm about to have the same conversation with my accountant this week.... Giddyup!

Thanks for this, runs off to speak to our accountant!

Just to confirm my accountant has said to keep as a personal buy until the legislation has passed, even if delivery is made before then once its through I can just sell it to the business later and then claim the benefit :)

I’m a Sole Trader without GST compliance/ requirements. Or, I WILL be when I retire in 8-12 months and take up Consultancy to my current employer on a commission split basis. Already have my ABN but done no business through it since setting up as I am still employed full time on salary with Employer. When I retire is when I want to take delivery of a M3. I wonder if this will apply to me then???

I have a theory, they produced mainly Model Y's until the shutdown ( thats why you see more of Y's in the video) and then from 5th they go full on Model 3's. 10th Clara carries 3's and Y's and sail towards us. So hopefully we get more VIN's from 11/7 onward.
They have 2 lines so its not either or.

But in terms of what they are producing for AU/NZ you might be correct.

Would you have to change the rego/payment details on the Tesla website though? I am worried this might change delivery date.