Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This time is also UTC/GMT, the estimate it 2am local 10/2
The ETA of the Crystal is fluid as it is calculated on boat speed which varies greatly over the journey. Here is the latest estimate.

eta.jpg

Current position of the Crystal. It is taking a more northerly route than the Midas did.

View attachment 762316

If you're Tessler is on this ship you should definitely get your VIN and invoice this week. It was the same with the MIDAS. So should be happy days
For those of us who ordered before the cut off and don't have a VIN, I imagine the car will have to be on this boat? Or will there be another boat?

Hoping for a vin very soon!

For those of us who ordered before the cut off and don't have a VIN, I imagine the car will have to be on this boat? Or will there be another boat?

Hoping for a vin very soon!
You would either need to join Vedaprime as Tesla Australia won't tell you or keep an eye on the Shanghai port where the RORO ships berth. There are only two berths to monitor. You can do that for free!

ro.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: karlos22
one point I made is that my current car’s dealer had no issue dealing with my number plates - one staff member’s time, Alexandria to Botany and back, a bit of a wait at the registry
I also had two trips to Botany and had to buy another set of plates to get them off my previous car
some of that will happen again
the point I didn’t make is that Tesla are charging me $115 for the plates I’m not using - non-negotiable - and won’t go to Botany

You just outlined why Tesla NSW doesn't offer custom plates...
Because they do so many deliveries in a short space of time that can't possibly accommodate for every special request, especially when it involves having a staff member stand in line at the RMS for god knows how long. My mate in VIC got his car delivered with custom plates because VicRoads allows Tesla do it easily... I'd be blaming the RMS not Tesla.
My SA confirmed this too.

Reactions: DrewBytes
You just outlined why Tesla NSW doesn't offer custom plates...
Because they do so many deliveries in a short space of time that can't possibly accommodate for every special request, especially when it involves having a staff member stand in line at the RMS for god knows how long. My mate in VIC got his car delivered with custom plates because VicRoads allows Tesla do it easily... I'd be blaming the RMS not Tesla.
My SA confirmed this too.
Exactly right.
I'm in QLD and getting the custom plates on mine which I have already sent the plates to my SA.
I believe Queensland Transport allows Tesla to register the car at the Tesla Centre so no need to have someone go to the transport office to complete anything.

If NSW requires a person to actually appear at an office to complete this task I can understand why Tesla doesn't want to do it.

Seems people are quick to defend Tesla for not providing a service offered by other companies.

Telsa actually have lower overheads and make handsome profits (check out the earnings report for 2021 if you need proof of this). The excuse that they are pushing high volume and therefore shouldn't facilitate it is largely irrelevant unless you are insinuating that other automakers aren't selling in this kind of volume (spoiler: they are, just not for EV)

I have no doubt NSW is harder than other states or else Tesla would hold this stance nation wide, but it is a very lazy attitude all things considered if they throw up their hands at the first roadblock while others are happy to oblige. For the record, I wouldn't take any issues with the process itself being streamlined as in those states, but you operate within the rules provided, and Tesla could certainly do better.

Reactions: schnaxxl and m3rwd
Seems people are quick to defend Tesla for not providing a service offered by other companies.

But that's part of the Tesla model and why they are making those profits.

Compared to the Euro competitors.
- Tesla has 3 'dealerships' in NSW (4 if you include ACT) versus 20+ each for BMW, Merc, Audi
- the 'dealerships' are typically in cheaper locations, and sparsely fitted out
- much lower staff count with no option sellers, finance teams, used car lots etc
- Tesla does zero advertising / sponsorship
- No delivery frills like ribbons or bows

They just do things differently (which generally means more cheaply). Sometimes it's removing a hidden cost, other times it does impact the customer. But it's the Tesla way and it's effectively accept it or buy something else.

Personally would have been quite happy to pay a say $100 fee for the plate swap, which id think would cover a staff members time (even cheaper for those who'd need to otherwise pay to put a plate into storage or pay for a plate that will shortly be returned)

Reactions: adee and DrewBytes
But that's part of the Tesla model and why they are making those profits.

Compared to the Euro competitors.
- Tesla has 3 'dealerships' in NSW (4 if you include ACT) versus 20+ each for BMW, Merc, Audi
- the 'dealerships' are typically in cheaper locations, and sparsely fitted out
- much lower staff count with no option sellers, finance teams, used car lots etc
- Tesla does zero advertising / sponsorship
- No delivery frills like ribbons or bows

They just do things differently (which generally means more cheaply). Sometimes it's removing a hidden cost, other times it does impact the customer. But it's the Tesla way and it's effectively accept it or buy something else.

Personally would have been quite happy to pay a say $100 fee for the plate swap, which id think would cover a staff members time (even cheaper for those who'd need to otherwise pay to put a plate into storage or pay for a plate that will shortly be returned)
So would I. But they don't, and people have a right to complain about it.

Again, you are effectively defending a trillion dollar valued company who reports record profits for not doing something other car makers do, because "this is their way, take it or leave it".

We all know Telsa is different, but that doesn't always mean better.

It looks like the VIN assignment is happening again as others mentioned. Got had my VIN come through this morning for an order made just before cut off for the quarter

RWD + Sports Wheels
Exterior: White
Interior: Black
OD: 17/12
EDD: 12/2 - 26/2
Alexandria pickup
My SA mentioned that the next round of VIN assignment was occurring "around the 7th"
Maybe we're just seeing cancellations come through and you were next in queue?