Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow.. looks like morning Clara changed status form PLAN to SCHD at 8:00 tomorrow, so far MC is the only vehicle carrier has the Scheduled status. Does this mean MC shouldn’t delay anymore?
There is another RoRo unloading now (Frontier Ace), and it should leave at 8am local time tomorrow, so MC is planned to dock at 12:30pm. There should be no more delays.
That probably means leaving for PK on 09/03, and arriving to PK 10-11 March. Hope we would see deliveries starting late next week then.

Reactions: Pakryan and Benzz
There is another RoRo unloading now (Frontier Ace), and it should leave at 8am local time tomorrow, so MC is planned to dock at 12:30pm. There should be no more delays.
That probably means leaving for PK on 09/03, and arriving to PK 10-11 March. Hope we would see deliveries starting late next week then.
Where did the frontier ace come from? i thought there was only 3 RoRo's for Q1 and the first 2 have been and gone and the MC is the 3rd one?

Where did the frontier ace come from? i thought there was only 3 RoRo's for Q1 and the first 2 have been and gone and the MC is the 3rd one?
Its a different vehicle carrier that happened to also be assigned to fisherman's wharf no1 since yesterday(or the day before - I basically banned myself from coming here.. getting too agitated).

Hopefully no more delays since things are moving slowly.

That’s a very good news, I think Frontier Ace arrived Brisbane just at its original ETA, so that’s why Frontier Ace is docking before MC?
Is one week time enough to get new cars ready to be delivered after MC unload at PK?

Last edited:
Its a different vehicle carrier that happened to also be assigned to fisherman's wharf no1 since yesterday(or the day before - I basically banned myself from coming here.. getting too agitated).

Hopefully no more delays since things are moving slowly.
Be happy your cars on a ship and in Australian waters.... i might not even get my car till Q3 even thou i ordered in time for Q2 deliveries.

Have you considered taking carsales.com.au buy it now option? Some people have reported that it's higher than Tesla's trade in amount.
Can confirm, did carsales instant offer too and even the estimated range was >3k higher than tesla (Here in Victoria at least)

My experience with instant offer was fantastic, excellent communication, easy process, higher valuation.. Was an awesome process that let me avoid tyre kickers.

Can confirm, did carsales instant offer too and even the estimated range was >3k higher than tesla (Here in Victoria at least)

My experience with instant offer was fantastic, excellent communication, easy process, higher valuation.. Was an awesome process that let me avoid tyre kickers.
Same here. Carsales gave an excellent offer, 3K higher than Tesla. I still managed to sell privately for 1K more than Carsales Instant Offer, but it was more work stress and time consuming.

If the reason for Tesla not delivering model 3 LR and P is truely a chip shortage problem for Australian vehicles then why is the wait for USA LR's about 2 months?

Go have a look here Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room and compare some OD and DD and you will see the average is less then 2 months.

I acknowledge we have shipping where the USA vehicles are made local and only have to be trucked but what other reasons are valid for the long wait times for Australian delivered vehicles?

The only other reason i could see is China makes Model 3's for various countries and the USA only make local vehicles?

If the reason for Tesla not delivering model 3 LR and P is truely a chip shortage problem for Australian vehicles then why is the wait for USA LR's about 2 months?

Go have a look here Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room and compare some OD and DD and you will see the average is less then 2 months.

I acknowledge we have shipping where the USA vehicles are made local and only have to be trucked but what other reasons are valid for the long wait times for Australian delivered vehicles?

The only other reason i could see is China makes Model 3's for various countries and the USA only make local vehicles?

It’s most likely a combination of the fact that the Model Y has taken away some of the demand for Model 3 in the US but the Fremont factory is still topped with a significant amount of capacity for Model 3 production. Add to that the fact that Giga Shanghai has demand outpacing its ability to scale up, even though it’s scaling very quickly.

I don’t think the chip shortage is the only factor either.

The LR and P require more battery cells to manufacture, if cell production is limited overall and all cell suppliers are at capacity it makes more sense to make more of the vehicles that require less cells up to the point that the vehicle production is at capacity.

This also applies to other parts in the supply chain. Perhaps Tesla expected the skew of configurations to be 70:20:10 for example but in reality it ended up being 50:30:20 or something, likely due to people having more money to spend, and interest rates being so low. Tesla would have had to order the parts months in advance as they plan production 2-3 quarters in advance so would have had the stuff they needed to product based on their projections.

Another factor is that as demand has increased, wait times have started to push out, people see this start to happen and all of a sudden those people that wanted to get a car in 6 months but we’re expecting to make a decision in 3 months have to order now or miss out, and they order sooner. As a result, planned production capacity for the next 6 months starts to fill up and at some point it may change to 9-12 months. Then you’ve got those people that were thinking they’ll get a car at the start of next year and order late this year but now all of a sudden they need to order now too and the cycle continues.

Possibly, and this is just my assumption, but it could also be that Tesla is focussing its chips on the US and Europe market that's way bigger than Oz. For instance, you have two giga factories in US (Freemont and Texas), those two would suck maybe 40-50% of the chips?