Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Order placed two weeks ago for Model 3 RWD blue in Melbourne. Wait time at the moment is 5-7 months.

Tesla aren’t forthcoming with info on the cause of the delays. The delay is the same no matter what Model 3 variation there is. What’s the theory here? Is it:
  • Increase in volume of orders from Australia
  • Tesla prioritising deliveries from Shanghai to other markets over Australia
  • Shortage of part/s limiting output
  • Something else
And with Giga Berlin coming online, will it make a material difference to the wait times? Even if they are only building Model Y’s there, would they be able to redeploy production line resources in Shanghai to Model 3 output?

Some wishful / hopeful thinking on my part. Any thoughts appreciated

Order placed two weeks ago for Model 3 RWD blue in Melbourne. Wait time at the moment is 5-7 months.
Basically Q2 production is sold out, so any orders today (or in the last few weeks) will be Q3.
Which will generally mean manufactured in July, and delivered in mid-August to end-September.
(Which is consistent with the 5-7 month window)
reference to cars unloaded yesterday at Port Kembla
Yes was referring to the Morning Clara, which was delayed off Brisbane due to weather, impacting the last of the Q1 cars.

Tesla aren’t forthcoming with info on the cause of the delays. The delay is the same no matter what Model 3 variation there is. What’s the theory here? Is it:
  • Increase in volume of orders from Australia
  • Tesla prioritising deliveries from Shanghai to other markets over Australia
  • Shortage of part/s limiting output
  • Something else
And with Giga Berlin coming online, will it make a material difference to the wait times? Even if they are only building Model Y’s there, would they be able to redeploy production line resources in Shanghai to Model 3 output?

Some wishful / hopeful thinking on my part. Any thoughts appreciated
It's probably all these things combined. Yes, the Berlin Gigafactory is online and will help with Model Y deliveries to Europe, but Tesla's plans for this aren't public yet. Parts shortages could play a part, the price of nickel due to the Ukraine situation could cause problems for availability for the batteries in LR/Performance… it's messy. (Can't wait to get my Model 3, hopefully next week.)

Reactions: Benzz
Something else
They only have so much local capacity to deliver cars in Australia - some of which isn't really under Tesla's control, like the number of car transporters available. There's no point bring in cars in excess of that capacity.

I assume at some point they may start import processing them at two different locations in Australia (maybe MIRRAT?)

• Informative
Reactions: Maximillan

Attachments

• B90BD663-4241-44B8-93B8-AECCB0B4783F.jpeg
    B90BD663-4241-44B8-93B8-AECCB0B4783F.jpeg
    497.9 KB · Views: 73
FYI WAIT TIMES FOR M3 NOW 6-9 MONTHS!
Wow, I literally checked this morning (around 11ish) and it still showing 5-7 months. That's a lot of sales...

Would anyone know the total number of EV sold this year in NSW? I am still looking at another 4-6 months of wait time till I got my M3, curious to see how close we are to breaching the NSW EV rebate figure (I assume we are still a ways away from the 25k figure, but curious regardless)

Last edited: