Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do less than 40km per day on average, I am planning to live on UMC (10km/hr) with overnight off-peak charging everyday or two. I do have solar but will be at work during the day so won't help. Occasional charging at nearby shopping centres. Upgrade only if life becomes too difficult with such practice.

I drive the same round trip every day which is 70km so im wondering what the best charging solution will be for me. We have solar which tops out at 5kwh which I would prefer to use if possible but I'll be working most of the week with the exception of Friday afternoon and weekend so I'll be limited as to when I can use it and we dont have off-peak tariffs here in WA. I do have 3 phase at home and I love toys so of course I was thinking of getting the Tesla charger but now im thinking its going to be overkill so would appreciate some advice.

I ordered a Standard Model 3, Blue on white, for $66,644 (5-7 month delivery) two weeks ago.

Tesla Studio now says $70,724 for that same version with a 6-9 month delivery wait time.

These seem to be the highest price increases Tesla has ever done. Looks like both demand and materials are playing a huge role right now.

I drive the same round trip every day which is 70km so im wondering what the best charging solution will be for me. We have solar which tops out at 5kwh which I would prefer to use if possible but I'll be working most of the week with the exception of Friday afternoon and weekend so I'll be limited as to when I can use it and we dont have off-peak tariffs here in WA. I do have 3 phase at home and I love toys so of course I was thinking of getting the Tesla charger but now im thinking its going to be overkill so would appreciate some advice.
You might be better off posting this question in this thread - Ideal or Cost Effective Home Charging

Reactions: ianhutch1
Hi Ian, I'm planning on swapping to this plan with Synergy, not a great saving, but still a little cheaper from 23:00 to 04:00 and having either a 32A or 15A socket in the garage.

Just got gouged at the pump, I'm hoping for the last time, ever. Come on Tesla, where's that SMS? Need you now more than ever.

Those profiteering fossil burners are digging their own grave with prices like that. Bring on the EV revolution!

The way I looked at it, I wanted a dedicated circuit installed for charging for safety reasons. Once you're getting an electrician out to do that, you might as well get a higher amperage circuit installed, as it's likely just a slightly more expensive run of wiring and breaker, the labour cost is the same. Then you might as well put a wall charger on it, because it's more convenient to leave the UMC in the car for trips rather than pack it up every time, and also a frequently-used plug/socket is the most likely place for a dodgy connection to develop, which a wired-in charger avoids.

Reactions: Lockster
I ordered a Standard Model 3, Blue on white, for $66,644 (5-7 month delivery) two weeks ago.

Tesla Studio now says $70,724 for that same version with a 6-9 month delivery wait time.

These seem to be the highest price increases Tesla has ever done. Looks like both demand and materials are playing a huge role right now.
This is the price you will pay when you receive the car. God knows what everything else will cost by then. Indications are that inflation is off the leash and will affect all cost of living expenses and goods prices. A $4000 price rise may seem linke a bargain in 6-9 months.
And if the price, by some miracle, goes down you reap the benefit when you pay for the car.

In the time it's taken for my new Tesla to arrive (9/12/21 OD), I decided to go with a wall charger (7kw, single phase).
Over here in SA, electricians can be a 6-12 week waiting time

The benefits of going from flat to full battery overnight will be enormous, as I can do quite a lot of driving.
Or just to maximise off peak charging

Plus the wall chargers look so cool, and I don't have to get the umc out of the car everynight!

20220225_133634.jpg

In the time it's taken for my new Tesla to arrive (9/12/21 OD), I decided to go with a wall charger (7kw, single phase).
Over here in SA, electricians can be a 6-12 week waiting time

The benefits of going from flat to full battery overnight will be enormous, as I can do quite a lot of driving.
Or just to maximise off peak charging

Plus the wall chargers look so cool, and I don't have to get the umc out of the car everynight!

View attachment 781753
What are the benefits of going from flat to full overnight?

I think there are wall chargers that can maximise your solar for charging, but if you’re like me who park their cars at work probably won’t benefit much. Otherwise don’t have any good advice as I haven’t got the car and no actual experience.