Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All this discussion about comparisons with UK orders, I asked over in one of the UK forums, and Lo and behold they too have a spreadsheet with orders + EDDs etc

Looking at the spreadsheet they don’t seem to be in a massively better position to us.

I reckon those collecting their orders about now have done OK

Attachments

• E8673B7B-B89F-46C7-8FC0-F07C980596A3.jpeg
    E8673B7B-B89F-46C7-8FC0-F07C980596A3.jpeg
    400 KB · Views: 87
All this discussion about comparisons with UK orders, I asked over in one of the UK forums, and Lo and behold they too have a spreadsheet with orders + EDDs etc

Looking at the spreadsheet they don’t seem to be in a massively better position to us.

Are we looking at the same data? There only appears to be 120 entries of both 3 and Y. With the exception of a few outliers, most of the collection dates listed are for March orders.. even some May in there. And except for a few outliers, most of those without collection dates are March orders onwards.

A lot of those outliers could be attributed to people abandoning the forum and spreadsheet upon getting VIN.

Hi everyone

I have been enjoying this waiting room since I first began lurking back in April, and though I have loved the positivity in here - especially Hoopyfrood's - I do agree this conversation has to be had. Without getting our knickers in a twist. I think everyone here has been able to achieve this so far and I'm going to continue to keep the tone reasonable :)

I agree, Hoopyfrood. I don't think profits alone or being Australian makes a case for Tesla to bump us. I've worked in marketing and comms for 15 years and my two cents is this: customer service is important. Good customer service builds customer loyalty and that is worth big $$$ in itself. That's why successful businesses practice it. But more importantly, if a business makes a commitment to a customer in the form of an estimated delivery time, they have an ethical obligation to meet that to the best of their abilities, regardless of profits being impacted. It's the right thing to do - nothing more, nothing less. I freaking love Tesla's. We all do. But I no longer love the brand the way I used to, because I feel they don't care about customers and I don't feel that the way they are operating in the Aus/NZ market is fair and equitable.

I never got a call about my car being delayed from its original 14-20 week window to its current Aug-Nov delivery date. That's not very considerate, Tesla. When I enquired about getting my deposit back, the SA refused. Now don't get me wrong - I understand all the reasons for keeping my order. But I just enquired. The SA told me I couldn't have it, because the date they gave me was only an 'estimate'. I explained that there has to be a limit of the accuracy of an estimate - what if I didn't get my car in Q4 either? The SA said I couldn't get the deposit refunded. Hmm. This, to me, smacks of Tesla bending the rules and seeing what they can get away with to make their quarterlies look good, regardless of the customer. It's just reinforcing what we've been seeing with how wait times have been handled in the last year.

I am posting after all this time because I think there actually is a way we can get Tesla's attention on this. Hoopyfrood is correct - the way we are being treated is wrong. If The Driven or some other voice reading this forum can get us some media attention concerning our plight, it might - just might - turn the Eye of Elon (or at least Tesla Australia) upon us for a few bright, glorious moments and make them remember they have customers here that have been very, very patient and we are beginning to get a bit frustrated with this whole circus. Case in point, I recommended a Polestar to a friend yesterday on the back of all this recent skulldickery. I wouldn't have done that back in April. So journos and bloggers out there - here's a nice story for you. In the meantime, I will optimistically expect my delivery before mid-Aug. Lol.
G'day Gokk. welcome.
I've not been explicitly in marketing, but have some knowledge of the field.
I have been around long enough to remember the old adage "the customer is always right", and attitudes like lookingafter the customer - as you say it builds loyalty, and loyalty builds $$$. However, I am also aware of a new trend that maybe the old adage has passed its use-by date. Manybusiness are now more inclined t olook after not the customer, but their sales staff. When SAs are happy they'll look after the customer and revenues.
I fear that Tesla has adopted a version of that mindset.

G'day Gokk. welcome.
I've not been explicitly in marketing, but have some knowledge of the field.
I have been around long enough to remember the old adage "the customer is always right", and attitudes like lookingafter the customer - as you say it builds loyalty, and loyalty builds $$$. However, I am also aware of a new trend that maybe the old adage has passed its use-by date. Manybusiness are now more inclined t olook after not the customer, but their sales staff. When SAs are happy they'll look after the customer and revenues.
I fear that Tesla has adopted a version of that mindset.
Most companies these days build a fortress of helpdesk staff so nobody can reach the actual business managers. And in front of that fortress is a chatbot which contains a maze to get to that helpdesk.

It's also noted that 2018 Telstra CFO and 'head of strategy' Robyn Denholm is now the chair of the Tesla board. And look at Telstra's current nightmare of a customer service system.

Reactions: positiv and rtvanda
While we wait [.. and wait, and wait...]
Solar power and charging have my attention.
My [too small] solar system produces DC, for supply to inverter to convert to AC for use or feed in to network.
To charge my TEaseLa requires that AC to reconverted back to DC by the charging systems.
I believe that AC charging is limited to about 11 amps [maybe be only 8].
I know that all the fast chargers are DC chargers
so I inquire about charging DC to DC [maybe via a battery for overnight charge] but everyone tells me its not possible.
Has any had any thoughts or have anyknowledge on this??
It'd be good to get a grasp on before spending many $,000 on battery system to provides no benefit

Are we looking at the same data? There only appears to be 120 entries of both 3 and Y. With the exception of a few outliers, most of the collection dates listed are for March orders.. even some May in there. And except for a few outliers, most of those without collection dates are March orders onwards.

A lot of those outliers could be attributed to people abandoning the forum and spreadsheet upon getting VIN.
A couple of objective points of data:
  • 114 orders
  • 82 orders with VIN allocated? "No"
  • 31 orders with VIN allocated? "Yes" (27%)
  • 1 order with neither VIN allocated? "Yes" or "No"
  • 3 orders listed with order date prior to Jan 2021 (all VIN allocated Yes)
  • Of the VIN allocation? "No" orders:
    • 5 ordered Jan (4.3%)
    • 7 ordered Feb (6.1%)
    • 32 ordered Mar (28%)
    • 27 ordered Apr (23%)
    • 10 ordered May (8%)
    • 1 ordered June (0.8%)
I guess on your logic you could say all 81 orders with VIN allocated "No" have abandoned the spreadsheet. And you're right, the data is by no means guaranteed to be updated.

I guess my point is - sure people in the UK are getting their orders now, but who's to say that some in the UK aren't waiting as long as some in AU have been waiting?

And if we're going to start thinking about complaining to Tesla management, surely we should be more objective about the situation than "some people in (the bigger market that is) the UK have got their orders now, why haven't we?"

Last edited:
1656327748217.png

The mobile charger and wall connector charger are AC chargers and use the AC port which uses the in car transformer circuits to convert to DC in a controlled fashion.

The DC port is used by the Super Chargers out there. Not sure what circuits it may have to control the power but it would be different than the AC charger circuit.

What you are talking about would be a home charger that uses the DC port. Not sure if these exist from a home system.

What you are talking about would be a home charger that uses the DC port. Not sure if these exist from a home system.
That's why I ask. It seems absurd that we convert DC to Ac, then back again with some losses of energy/power in both transactions.
I'm on unfamiliar ground here, But I believe that battery storages are all DC, so why can't a home system deliver DC?

I know it seems scary standing up to the actual company, so you take a load off and mock others trying advocate on your behalf that you're not as scared of, little buddy. We got this for you. 👍
lol you know they've already scheduled production for the next quarter right?
I mean, what are you trying to achieve?

Besides, you're the scary guy around here talking about how you're gonna fix all the things like Batman, but yeah you do you.
I'm just going chill for a couple more weeks like my life doesn't depend on it.
1656329993181.png

Hey. Whats EAP? Early as possible? :D

My [too small] solar system produces DC, for supply to inverter to convert to AC for use or feed in to network.
To charge my TEaseLa requires that AC to reconverted back to DC by the charging systems.
so I inquire about charging DC to DC [maybe via a battery for overnight charge] but everyone tells me its not possible.
It'd be good to get a grasp on before spending many $,000 on battery system to provides no benefit
after research i found that dc fast charging can be more harmful to the battery due to overheating the cells.....stick to AC

• Helpful
Reactions: rtvanda
A couple of objective points of data:
  • 114 orders
  • 82 orders with VIN allocated? "No"
  • 31 orders with VIN allocated? "Yes" (27%)
  • 1 order with neither VIN allocated? "Yes" or "No"
  • 3 orders listed with order date prior to Jan 2021 (all VIN allocated Yes)
  • Of the VIN allocation? "No" orders:
    • 5 ordered Jan (4.3%)
    • 7 ordered Feb (6.1%)
    • 32 ordered Mar (28%)
    • 27 ordered Apr (23%)
    • 10 ordered May (8%)
    • 1 ordered June (0.8%)
I guess on your logic you could say all 81 orders with VIN allocated "No" have abandoned the spreadsheet. And you're right, the data is by no means guaranteed to be updated.

I guess my point is - sure people in the UK are getting their orders now, but who's to say that some in the UK aren't waiting as long as some in AU have been waiting?

And if we're going to start thinking about complaining to Tesla management, surely we should be more objective about the situation than "some people in (the bigger market that is) the UK have got their orders now, why haven't we?"
The data you have just outlined says that.

We all have Aug - Oct or Aug - Nov In here if we ordered anywhere from November to February/March.

The bulk of the orders on the spreadsheet without VIN allocations you outlined are March onwards. Anyone from March onwards in here has either 6-9 (not sure if there any of those left) or 9-12 months.

Aside from a couple of outliers, very few prior to March feature at all, indicating they likely aren't an issue/have been delivered.

I'm pretty sure "people in (the bigger market that is) the UK have got their orders now, why haven't we?" is in fact an entirely valid question.

How's the attached for objective? Honestly. I get that people pride themselves on being stoic and what they believe to be mature. But if you're cool with this, you're stoic to the point of being a doormat.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220627-215012_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220627-215012_Gallery.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
lol you know they've already scheduled production for the next quarter right?
I mean, what are you trying to achieve?

Besides, you're the scary guy around here talking about how you're gonna fix all the things like Batman, but yeah you do you.
I'm just going chill for a couple more weeks like my life doesn't depend on it.
View attachment 821686
What on earth is this two weeks meme about?

The issue here is not that it is not possible but that the products don't yet really exists for what you want. And may in the end cost more than you would think.

The AC charger on-board the Tesla is rated to 11KW on three phase 3 * 16 amps and 7KW on single phase 32amps(it actually re-configures two of the 16 amp AC charges into a series configuration to get you the 32 amps, but I digress). But here is the trick, the AC charger you are going to install(or the mobile charger that comes with the car) is not a charger at all, it is an Electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE) but everyone calls them chargers and it doesn't normally hurt to think of them like that. You already own the 'expensive' bit the 11kw on-board charger. The EVSE is just a smart/fancy power point/cable with a different connector on the other end.

I too am looking at upgrading my solar installation. You are closer than you might think in having a DC to DC system. Take for example the Sungrow 10KW hybrid inverter,
hybrid being that it can take both the DC solar and convert it to AC for your home, or take the DC solar and charge a DC battery. Co-incidentally this would also give you around 11KW of DC battery charging as it is rated to charge the DC battery at 30Amps and the tesla battery is around 360-370Volts. So Power = Voltage * Current so 30*370 gives you 11.1KW.

Now the issue here is that this hybrid inverter doesn't know how to talk to the CCS port on you car to access the DC battery. With the right smart adapter between the hybrid inverter and the CCS port it is theoretically possible to then charge the car off this hybrid inverter coming directly from the DC solar. As far as I know, no such smart adapter exists.

The way things are going at the moment, with home solar systems often having a separate solar inverter, and then separate AC coupled battery containing its own inverter and what looks like to be the next separate inverter, is another for Vehicle to Grid, V2G, with what is being termed a bi-directional charger. A few of these exist but are expensive, around 10K I believe, and tesla likely, at least for now, prevents current flowing out of the CCS port and allowing its battery to be used in the configuration. Though this should be able to be updated with a software change in theory.

Maybe in the future we will in fact end up with tribrid solar inverters/battery charger/discharger that talk to vehicles and/or home batteries. But I think we are a little way off that. And I could forsee that type of inverter being in the same sort of price range as the sungrow linked above as there is only really one piece missing from that inverter which would be the ability to talk to the CCS connected battery on wheels and maybe an additional contactor.

That's why I ask. It seems absurd that we convert DC to Ac, then back again with some losses of energy/power in both transactions.
I'm on unfamiliar ground here, But I believe that battery storages are all DC, so why can't a home system deliver DC?
DC is great, but only when the supply and load are of the same or similar voltage. Even then, you need some sort of charge controller to limit current at various stages in the charge cycle, so inverters are generally required in most, if not all circumstances.
For these reasons, an AC supply is the most versatile and is why a Powerwall is exclusively AC-coupled.
As for charging your car, there's an AC inlet that allows the free (but limited capacity) onboard inverter to do all the cool things, or if you plug into DC from a supercharger, all the current/voltage management is done by the expensive gear on site.

Inverters these days are typically greater than 95% efficient and oftentimes >98%. Mains frequency transformers and linear regulators have more or less gone the way of horse and cart (or gasoline engines soon:tm:)

• Informative
Reactions: rtvanda