Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would you have preferred a price increase?

For many, particularly capital city people, there are plenty of corded EV chargers around that can be used much like a petrol station.

I see a UMC more like a jerry can. And I suspect if you go back far enough they were an inclusion with a petrol car as well.

Had my car for 2yrs and yet to use the UMC.
Did buy a Type2-2 cable and have used that many times.
No. I PREFER the car I thought I was ordering at the price I ordered it at and for it, as an electrical device, to be usable at home. Only to find out 2 days later (NOT from Tesla direct) that I might not get one. Would you be happy to buy an electrical shaver, for example, for $70000 and then be told to need to buy the cable to use it at home?

If I don’t get one I’ll swing by your place and pick up the one to haven’t used then? :)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: *Sparkles*
Would you have preferred a price increase?
For people looking to buy their first EV, it IS a price increase!

For many, particularly capital city people, there are plenty of corded EV chargers around that can be used much like a petrol station.
Obviously everyone's preferences and needs are different. But I'm a "capital city" person, and it's absolutely not practical for me to stop somewhere and charge the car in between appointments. I am crunched for time as it is, and stopping to charge would create a lot of unnecessary stress as I would be relying on the public charger to (1) be available right when I needed it and (2) working properly. As I understand it, this information can be checked online, but I just don't have time (or the inclination) to mess around with this during the day.

For me, one of the big selling points of going electric was NOT having to stop at petrol stations.

Given that the rate of EV adoption is still pretty low (especially as compared with smartphones in Skurfer's analogy), I think it's a really cheeky move by Tesla, as most people won't just have a UMC laying around

The uncertainty in getting the UMC has led me to hold off installing a charge point for now. I was going to pull the trigger on a 32a 5 pin install but might just wait and see. I know we're being told that pre-existing orders will have it but does anyone 100% trust that?

Last edited:
I'm not a Tesla supporter by any means, but you need to get your analogies right to make the correct point. It has the fuel tank (batteries). They just aren't giving you a jerry can/personal fuel bowser to keep at home.
Fwiw, I reckon it's wrong. People argue that phones now come without chargers, but they have had the same charger/cable for years and most should have plenty lying around. Not so much the case with EVs. Not sure how many would have spare UMCs around the house. Elon has used the argument the data says most don't home charge. Never provided the data. I reckon he's lying as he seems to do with most things.
And to add insult to injury, their own FAQ pushes people to use home charging....

1657520354718.png

Source: Frequently Asked Questions - Home Charging Installation

The uncertainty in getting the UMC has lead me to hold off installing a charge point for now. I was going to pull the trigger on a 32a 5 pin install but might just wait and see.
Aren't you going to want to charge your car at home no matter what it comes with?
Get the 5 pin socket installed anyway, then you can decide if you'll use it with the UMC, Wall Connector (with 5-pin plug added to it) or with a third-party EVSE.

What happens if you DO NOT ACCEPT the lower kilometrage range? Lose your car and order fee?

I ask as I am thinking, having ordered ON July 8, it’ll be my luck to get “accept that you’re getting no UMC” message when my car comes in in Feb-Mar 2023.

I’m royally p1ssed that I’ve bought an electric car that, without buying a separate charging device for, I can’t efficiently use. Sort of buying an ICE vehicle, then being told I need to buy a fuel tank separately. I get I can charge on a normal plug, but that doesn’t strike me as EV-efficient.
You don’t accept the lower range? Not withstanding the question of why you wouldn’t given the way you drive often has a dramatic effect on range, the answer is your order will be cancelled.

Reactions: DrewBytes
I have just learnt from my SA that I cannot get Premium Number Plates on my Model 3 because I am in S.A. Can anyone else from S.A. confirm that this is also their experience. He says I have to change the plates after delivery.
NSW Tesla have the same approach. Transfer yourself after delivery. The only exception is if you are trading a car with personal plates they will do the transfer and move them over (in NSW).

You don’t accept the lower range? Not withstanding the question of why you wouldn’t given the way you drive often has a dramatic effect on range, the answer is your order will be cancelled.
I *think* what he's asking is if he would be entitled to have his deposit refunded for not accepting the changes (as the item/specs he agreed to buy, and paid the fee for, is not able to be supplied by Tesla).

I'm not a lawyer, but can see a grey area here.....