Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What’s the deal on “keeping the floors clean” in a Tesla? Is everyone saying that in all their previous ICE cars they replaced carpet mats with rubber flooring??? I’ve always just had carpet mats. Vacuumed them every two or so weeks. No problems. Kept my car floors clean. But everyone on Tesla sites seems to indicate they want to replace the carpet with what looks like bulky, somewhat ill-fitting rubber mats. Why? The frunk and boot I sort of get. But why rubberise the interior floors?
Personal choice I guess.

I've put rubber mats in pretty much every car I've owned. I find that whilst vacuuming gets most of the dirt / grass etc out, it takes ages and is annoying (especially when grass works its way into the carpet fibers. I've also got 2 young kids... that doesn't help with cleanliness either.

Rubber (waterproof) mats means that I can pull them and and shake / wash / high pressure wash them depending on what's been spilled. The liners for the boot also have a lip which is excellent at containing any spills or leaks.

Don't think it's a Tesla specific thing.

I'd just personally never go back to carpet floor mats in any vehicle.

Personal choice I guess.

I've put rubber mats in pretty much every car I've owned. I find that whilst vacuuming gets most of the dirt / grass etc out, it takes ages and is annoying (especially when grass works its way into the carpet fibers. I've also got 2 young kids... that doesn't help with cleanliness either.

Rubber (waterproof) mats means that I can pull them and and shake / wash / high pressure wash them depending on what's been spilled. The liners for the boot also have a lip which is excellent at containing any spills or leaks.

Don't think it's a Tesla specific thing.

I'd just personally never go back to carpet floor mats in any vehicle.
My kid opened a shook up can of coke half a can later all over the rubber mat easy fix..

Let's see, I grabbed the wall charger, floor mats, boot and frunk mats (including protectors for the backs of the rear seats), some stick-on wide angle. mirrors (decent ones) because the door mirrors are too small, a couple of plastic grilles to stop stuff falling into the heater vents under the front seats, a 12v compressor, pucks for jacking the car up, and shopping hooks for the frunk and boot. And possibly a couple of other things I've forgotten.

AliExpress is a very dangerous website!
Is the 12v compressor to deal with a flat tire? I have wondered about this situation as I seem to get a lot of flats here in the bush. I guess its a temporary fix to get home/repair shop. Not entirely happy with no spare and no jack.

What’s the deal on “keeping the floors clean” in a Tesla? Is everyone saying that in all their previous ICE cars they replaced carpet mats with rubber flooring??? I’ve always just had carpet mats. Vacuumed them every two or so weeks. No problems. Kept my car floors clean. But everyone on Tesla sites seems to indicate they want to replace the carpet with what looks like bulky, somewhat ill-fitting rubber mats. Why? The frunk and boot I sort of get. But why rubberise the interior floors?
This will be a fancy new car for me, unlike my ICE. The mats are not bulky and not rubber. Not everyone wants to vacuum the floors every 2 weeks.

Reactions: CompleteMuppit
Is everyone saying that in all their previous ICE cars they replaced carpet mats with rubber flooring??? I’ve always just had carpet mats. Vacuumed them every two or so weeks. No problems. Kept my car floors clean. But everyone on Tesla sites seems to indicate they want to replace the carpet with what looks like bulky, somewhat ill-fitting rubber mats.

Yes - I've always replaced carpet mats with rubber in all my ICE cars immediately. This does mean I don't know what happens if mud or a spill happened on carpet, but I wasn't game to try, because washing the rubber mats felt far easier. The bulk was negligible and they're not ill-fitting if you buy the right ones. YMMV

Is the 12v compressor to deal with a flat tire? I have wondered about this situation as I seem to get a lot of flats here in the bush. I guess its a temporary fix to get home/repair shop. Not entirely happy with no spare and no jack.

I live in the country and do most of my driving through country areas (about 1000-1500km per week). I have bought a small 12v compressor and a tyre plug kit more as an insurance policy against a flat in an area with no mobile coverage or one that will hold me up for a while if I had to wait for help. I didn't want to carry the bulk of a spare tyre with me all the time as the chance of a flat is low and I need the boot space, but I wanted something. Been using tyre plugs for years and years on my 4wds and they work great and are very quick to use. Don't even need to take the tyre off usually and the tyre shop can then just take them out and put in a proper mushroom plug to permanently fix the hole.

Getting the offending screw or nail out is usually the hardest bit. A really cheap small socket set and a multi tool or at least hex head to get out a roofing screw is the go. My experience has usually been roofing screw in the tyre, but that might be that most other things are difficult to pierce 4wd tyres as they are a fair bit stronger than car road tyres.

I've never used rubber mats on my cars, and I actually liked the thick mats that came with my Lexus. After getting the rubber mats for my M3, I'll also be getting a set for the MY. Reasons being:
  • The Tesla supplied mats are thin and flimsy.
  • The rubber mats come in various textured finishes that blend in with the interior so they don't stand out like the ones my old man had on this valiant.
  • The rubber mats are a perfect fit with the cabin, and the raised finishes flush with interior plastics.
  • Twice I've had the kids hop in with muddy shoes and cleaning them is as easy as removal and hitting it with a hose.

I live in the country and do most of my driving through country areas (about 1000-1500km per week). I have bought a small 12v compressor and a tyre plug kit more as an insurance policy against a flat in an area with no mobile coverage or one that will hold me up for a while if I had to wait for help. I didn't want to carry the bulk of a spare tyre with me all the time as the chance of a flat is low and I need the boot space, but I wanted something. Been using tyre plugs for years and years on my 4wds and they work great and are very quick to use. Don't even need to take the tyre off usually and the tyre shop can then just take them out and put in a proper mushroom plug to permanently fix the hole.

Getting the offending screw or nail out is usually the hardest bit. A really cheap small socket set and a multi tool or at least hex head to get out a roofing screw is the go. My experience has usually been roofing screw in the tyre, but that might be that most other things are difficult to pierce 4wd tyres as they are a fair bit stronger than car road tyres.
Which compressor and plugs do you use ?

What are the recommendations for good and cheap rubber mat sets?
Well, I got this set 3D All-Weather Floor Mats for Model 3 - Tessories AU as they had some in stock.

But I dont have a car yet... so best to hear from others who have put them to use.

Edit: Also got the frunk, trunk and deep trunk ones too.

Edit#2: Having said that we got rubber floor mats in the ICE car we got recently and it helps with muddy feet the kids seem to always have. So highly recommended getting them. :)

Last edited:

My last puncture [about 5 years ago] on a good highway surface between Charleville and Cunnamulla in QLD - quite way out there.
No screws or nails, but 'roo bone through sidewall. Needed a new tyre.
Regardless, pump and plugs are part of my kit

Reactions: Magnatron
The question I'm interested in finding an answer on is, the best place to put it with all the window space available, any tips from you lucky owners?
Covered in the owners manual (LHD note but works for AU installs):

Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 12.09.53 pm.png