Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It means a new generation of RWD is coming for both Model Y and Model 3 with much higher battery capacity and range. LFP will be outdated.
I can't listen to the audio, the article doesn't indicate it will be better range, or performance. It just implies it's new and different. Is there a solid resource which makes it explicitly clear that they will be better, and that we will get a corresponding improvement (rather than just fewer batteries to save tesla costs?)

Reactions: Stokesy
I can't listen to the audio, the article doesn't indicate it will be better range, or performance. It just implies it's new and different. Is there a solid resource which makes it explicitly clear that they will be better, and that we will get a corresponding improvement (rather than just fewer batteries to save tesla costs?)

The Model Y with a 72-kWh battery pack will first use CATL's M3P batteries, which will be available early next year, according to local media.

This is *** NOT SPECULATION ***, it is widely reported domestically in China.

The tension between CN and US is currently affecting the new North America facility CATL is planning. There isn't any indication that it has affected the above deal.

Currently, all LFP batteries in Shanghai made RWDs are using LFP batteries from CATL.

Reactions: PcS000
72kWh is however a big bump over 60kWh.
So opens up whether Tesla might use this new pack as a Medium/Long Range RWD.

(When the 3 first launched in the US they had SR, SR+, MR, LR and P.. MR quickly disappeared and the SR became off menu then got deleted as well)
The current ***Speculation*** is that it is going to make the current RWD line into some sort of Standard Range Plus in past. It hasn't been reported if LFP will still be in the picture after the upgrade.

The current ***Speculation*** is that it is going to make the current RWD line into some sort of Standard Range Plus in past. It hasn't been reported if LFP will still be in the picture after the upgrade.
right. this was my question. Im not arguing if the battery tech is bigger/better, or if it will happen at all. I'm asking whether or not we know this will change the stats on the car. what will the range be (same, further or shorter) and what will the acceleration be (same, faster or slower).
personally im okay with anything that doesnt make the car slower. I didnt buy a tesla exclusively for the speed, but 7.9 is slower end for a tesla and is entering generic electric car terretory, which moves away from one of the reasons i chose a tesla over something like the kia niero

asking whether or not we know this will change the stats on the car. what will the range be (same, further or shorter) and what will the acceleration be (same, faster or slower).

Assuming no weight change. A 20% bigger battery will give you 20% greater range.
Acceleration is more driven by the motors which would be unchanged in this situation.

The big unknown in my mind would be the charging curve and whether it will still be recommended to go to 100% for LMFP over LFP.

right. this was my question. Im not arguing if the battery tech is bigger/better, or if it will happen at all. I'm asking whether or not we know this will change the stats on the car. what will the range be (same, further or shorter) and what will the acceleration be (same, faster or slower).
personally im okay with anything that doesnt make the car slower. I didnt buy a tesla exclusively for the speed, but 7.9 is slower end for a tesla and is entering generic electric car terretory, which moves away from one of the reasons i chose a tesla over something like the kia niero
What we know so far:

* CATL starts to supply M3P (LMFP) batteries to Tesla from QA
* The first Tesla vehicle to get M3P (LMFP) battery is Model Y (and potentially Model 3 though not widely reported however they currently share the same battery pack)
* The new battery has a capacity of 72kwh (20% up from LFP) and will gain 20% more range hypothetically
* LMFP is better technology and is a complete replacement for LFP in the long run.

Speculation:
* In the short to medium run, if the LMFP batteries are for a new line
* If Tesla is going to upgrade Motor because of the battery upgrade

Last edited:
Assuming no weight change. A 20% bigger battery will give you 20% greater range.
Acceleration is more driven by the motors which would be unchanged in this situation.

The big unknown in my mind would be the charging curve and whether it will still be recommended to go to 100% for LMFP over LFP.
Not if the battery is heavier. didn't see exactly this when there was the switch from the older battery to LFP?
if there is 20 more batteries in there rather than just charging capacity.. then that does drop acceleration.

Having ordered before Xmas last year and, being delayed, my LR got the new additions from the January 2022 upgrades which was a bonus but not something I would have waited for. These new rumoured uprades/changes have no effect on my delivery which is currently on the water making its way to AU. Just happy to get my order after over 8 months of waiting.

Having ordered before Xmas last year and, being delayed, my LR got the new additions from the January 2022 upgrades which was a bonus but not something I would have waited for. These new rumoured uprades/changes have no effect on my delivery which is currently on the water making its way to AU. Just happy to get my order after over 8 months of waiting.
LR is not using LFP battery. There's no stress.

Is that by volume or weight?
LFP:
  • Gravimetric energy density > Up to 160 Wh/kg[1] (580 J/g).
LMFP:
  • Gravimetric energy density > 230Wh/kg
In addition, CATL highlighted there's almost NO material cost difference between the two. From their papers, I think even the formula is quite similar to LFP. I'd speculate Tesla will likely replace the entire RWD line with LMFP battery packs, if production volume allows.

• Informative
Reactions: moa999 and cafz