Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Evening guys n' girls! A bit late reporting here, but wanted to share that I've 'magically' received a VIN and tentative EDD (11/08 - 25/08).

M3LR White on White All Standard OD 10/02/2022 (Original wait EST was 14 - 20 weeks) 2.99% finance.

Has been a whirlwind of activity, received a text message @ 1:01PM on 02/08, checked my Tesla App and sure enough, asked me to log into my account to accept changes (Tesla Vision & Range Drop) - done. Shortly after that the lovely SA who returned from her much deserved leave called me up to also confirm and let me know - finance underwriter called me up yesterday to request settling early ahead of delivery to avoid having to extend another 90 days.

Have made a part payment (on deposit) will finish that up soon, now I've just got to complete the registration forms for the RTA - ahh and then there's comprehensive insurance. 😂

Checked in on our awesome forum on Tuesday but noticed an absence of 'I got VINNNN spam' so...looks like someone cancelled their order?

(To whomever you are out there, I am sorry but thank you and I will ensure that I will enjoy this beautiful gift on your behalf! May fortune and prosperity find you yet wherever you may be! 🙇‍♂️)

For all that are looking on and waiting, hang on in there! Your time will surely come!

(Edit, another 90 days, sorry.)

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before.
What is the importance of having the Tesla wall charger installed by an electrician with experience with installing them, as opposed to someone without experience?
I recall seeing it mentioned a few times but don't know why it's important. I am wanting them to also inspect/install a bathroom exhaust fan, so one electron to do both would be ideal.
A simple and "dumbed down" answer would be appreciated 😁
A lot of people seem to be concerned if the electrician has experience with them, but mine had never done one before and tbh, it was no different to hard wiring any other appliance. They will need to know what rating the circuit will need to be and whether your doing single or 3 phase, but any sparky should be able to do that. The only other complication is the “Commissioning” process which is basically connecting it to your wifi and putting in the right settings. I did that myself, just had to confirm one or 2 items with the sparky regarding the capacity of the circuit.

^ it's not drastically different to any other powerpoint (other than the commissioning and using thicker wires) but someone without experience may take longer or pad their quote because they don't know the process. Or not read instructions and fail to torque down wires enough.

If you don't have your car yet, someone who primarily does EV chargers may also have testing equipment that can confirm everything is OK.

What is the importance of having the Tesla wall charger installed by an electrician with experience with installing them, as opposed to someone without experience?
I recall seeing it mentioned a few times but don't know why it's important. I am wanting them to also inspect/install a bathroom exhaust fan, so one electron to do both would be ideal.
It has to be wired in to your power box so its a job for a licensed electrician. It would be dangerous and probably illegal to install unless you are qualified and may even void the warranty.

Evening guys n' girls! A bit late reporting here, but wanted to share that I've 'magically' received a VIN and tentative EDD (11/08 - 25/08).

M3LR White on White All Standard OD 10/02/2022 (Original wait EST was 14 - 20 weeks) 2.99% finance.

Has been a whirlwind of activity, received a text message @ 1:01PM on 02/08, checked my Tesla App and sure enough, asked me to log into my account to accept changes (Tesla Vision & Range Drop) - done. Shortly after that the lovely SA who returned from her much deserved leave called me up to also confirm and let me know - finance underwriter called me up yesterday to request settling early ahead of delivery to avoid having to extend another 90 days.

Have made a part payment (on deposit) will finish that up soon, now I've just got to complete the registration forms for the RTA - ahh and then there's comprehensive insurance. 😂

Checked in on our awesome forum on Tuesday but noticed an absence of 'I got VINNNN spam' so...looks like someone cancelled their order?

(To whomever you are out there, I am sorry but thank you and I will ensure that I will enjoy this beautiful gift on your behalf! May fortune and prosperity find you yet wherever you may be! 🙇‍♂️)

For all that are looking on and waiting, hang on in there! Your time will surely come!

Im still waiting on a delivery date for my m3lr ordered 7/12/21, so the Tesla gods definitely smiled on you with a cancellation there haha.

Biggest tragedy is they would have been waiting patiently for months like the rest of us, only to bail out right before the finish line!

So has anyone purchased an insurance for a car which is still some time away.
My cars supposed to be delivered end of Aug/ early Sep and I am thinking to purchase an insurance now to avail a discount currently running with the insurance company. My question is has anyone done this? Means the cars not delivered yet and purchased the insurance 15-20 days in advance. I will need to put in a date of when I would like to start the insurance and this is what confuses me as to what date to select, what if the cars delivered before that date.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks

Has anyone signed a novated lease? If so, are the rules on claiming home charging costs clear? ATO guidance indicates a seperate meter is required to accurately claim the kW usage. Any thoughts on if the Tesla App charging summary will be accepted?

Hi there, you can give the insurer an estimated policy inception date, and change this once you have the actual pick-up date from Tesla. The insurer should be able to change it pretty easily (I would ask them to send written confirmation once it's amended to be sure). You probably already know this, but you will need to give them the vin
Thanks Sparkles,
I had called them and they said if your car arrives before the date your policy starts you may need to cancel the policy and initiate a refund and then purchase a new policy.
Not sure why they are not able to just move the dates.

Reactions: *Sparkles*

What good fortune!

Any chance you could let us know your build date? Should be on your invoice - that will help nail down cancellation or very special post M3 upgrade build ;)

Thanks Sparkles,
I had called them and they said if your car arrives before the date your policy starts you may need to cancel the policy and initiate a refund and then purchase a new policy.
Not sure why they are not able to just move the dates.
Or buy 1 day (or a few days) insurance coverage from someone else for those days. Get monthly coverage and cancel after day 5 or something and get the difference refunded.

Lots of options.

I think a lot of the talk of making sure it's an electrician experienced with EV charger installs comes from a) some chargers being much more complicated that the Tesla Wall Charger, which is just another 3 phase appliance, and b) lots of promotion by overpriced installers on this point!

I've done way more research into EV chargers than I'm comfortable. In my case, originally I was going to go with a Zappi style unit, and that, yes I would want someone with experience because there is a lot more complexity in the design and installation. For me I have a powerwall which has lots of CT Clamps, rather large solar install that even more CT clamps, then the Zappi would have been more complex again. So I've elected to go for the Wall Connector instead, keep it simple then integrate it into the powerwall to intercept the excess solar going to the grid.

In summary, you want a good electrician, but that applies regardless of the work they are doing, but the installer's manual is pretty clear, any sparky can do it.

My friend is a sparky and will be looking at my install over the weekend, will be interesting to see what the real price is without all the EV charger inflation!

Edit: Sorry my answer doesn't qualify as simple and dumbed down, not my area of expertise ;)

Last edited: