Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think a lot of the talk of making sure it's an electrician experienced with EV charger installs comes from a) some chargers being much more complicated that the Tesla Wall Charger, which is just another 3 phase appliance, and b) lots of promotion by overpriced installers on this point!

I've done way more research into EV chargers than I'm comfortable. In my case, originally I was going to go with a Zappi style unit, and that, yes I would want someone with experience because there is a lot more complexity in the design and installation. For me I have a powerwall which has lots of CT Clamps, rather large solar install that even more CT clamps, then the Zappi would have been more complex again. So I've elected to go for the Wall Connector instead, keep it simple then integrate it into the powerwall to intercept the excess solar going to the grid.

In summary, you want a good electrician, but that applies regardless of the work they are doing, but the installer's manual is pretty clear, any sparky can do it.

My friend is a sparky and will be looking at my install over the weekend, will be interesting to see what the real price is without all the EV charger inflation!
I sent my sparky a copy of the installation manual to assist him with the quote. There was nothing in it that phased him (Ha!). Quote was very reasonable and installation was smooth.

Thanks Sparkles,
I had called them and they said if your car arrives before the date your policy starts you may need to cancel the policy and initiate a refund and then purchase a new policy.
Not sure why they are not able to just move the dates.
It does seem pretty silly. I used to work in insurance broking years ago, between jobs, and I used to organise small changes like this all the time WITHOUT cancelling policies.

The trouble is, if you set the policy up, then cancel and have them issue a new policy, you'll lose the discount. I'm thinking @Ormaus might be on to something...
Or buy 1 day (or a few days) insurance coverage from someone else for those days. Get monthly coverage and cancel after day 5 or something and get the difference refunded.

Lots of options.

• Helpful
Reactions: CMTDad and suku18
I think a lot of the talk of making sure it's an electrician experienced with EV charger installs comes from a) some chargers being much more complicated that the Tesla Wall Charger, which is just another 3 phase appliance, and b) lots of promotion by overpriced installers on this point!

I've done way more research into EV chargers than I'm comfortable. In my case, originally I was going to go with a Zappi style unit, and that, yes I would want someone with experience because there is a lot more complexity in the design and installation. For me I have a powerwall which has lots of CT Clamps, rather large solar install that even more CT clamps, then the Zappi would have been more complex again. So I've elected to go for the Wall Connector instead, keep it simple then integrate it into the powerwall to intercept the excess solar going to the grid.

In summary, you want a good electrician, but that applies regardless of the work they are doing, but the installer's manual is pretty clear, any sparky can do it.

My friend is a sparky and will be looking at my install over the weekend, will be interesting to see what the real price is without all the EV charger inflation!

Edit: Sorry my answer doesn't qualify as simple and dumbed down, not my area of expertise ;)
Thanks! Your answer was actually clear enough for me to understand 😁.
I'm getting someone who is recommended to me, so that's good to know that they should be capable of doing the job.

Reactions: neekster
Thanks! Your answer was actually clear enough for me to understand 😁.
I'm getting someone who is recommended to me, so that's good to know that they should be capable of doing the job.
Tell them the car charges at 11kw, they can use that number together with a table in the install manual to work out what breaker and wiring size etc to use, along with final configuration of the wall charger. As for our cars they can dial down the amount of power that the charger draws, as we won't be charging the max rate the charger is capable of.

So has anyone purchased an insurance for a car which is still some time away.
My cars supposed to be delivered end of Aug/ early Sep and I am thinking to purchase an insurance now to avail a discount currently running with the insurance company. My question is has anyone done this? Means the cars not delivered yet and purchased the insurance 15-20 days in advance. I will need to put in a date of when I would like to start the insurance and this is what confuses me as to what date to select, what if the cars delivered before that date.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks
I did this by getting online quotes with the discount incorporated, most were valid for a month. I then chose the best one a day before I picked up the car.

Depends on the type of discount I guess. There was one with an "online" only discount and another with a % discount. Date didn't matter with the quote as I just changed it before actually purchasing.

For anyone that's in the same boat as me, and desperate to get hold of the OEM M3 roof racks, I'm I've about given up waiting and about to pull the trigger on buying them from the US. Think I've got the price with reshipping down to ~$740, may get hit with import duties on that, not sure.

I'll know more next week, but looking promising, and if it means it costs me an extra $200 to not spend the rest of my life chasing stock on roof racks, I'm sold.

Reactions: Redrum
It does seem pretty silly. I used to work in insurance broking years ago, between jobs, and I used to organise small changes like this all the time WITHOUT cancelling policies.

The trouble is, if you set the policy up, then cancel and have them issue a new policy, you'll lose the discount. I'm thinking @Ormaus might be on to something...
I may have worked IT / Cyber in Insurance for a number of years in different big and not so big insurers ;)

Also why I suggest shopping around each year as there is a loyalty PENALTY (they slightly raise the price each year typically even though the value of the car decreases - so moving away from the market price of insurance), and also to check out if its cheaper working through a broker as the broking house can typically apply some interesting discounts that are not available over the web for a larger number of insurers (might have to bring your entire insurance portfolio to them for this to work best (house, contents, 1 or 2 cars, motorbike, gold fish insurance, etc etc))

Seems like a decent idea. Most insurers offer 15 days cooling off period. So should be able to cover for that time. Thanks Ormaus,
Not sure I'd deal with the cooling off period that way. Just get monthly insurance and call them to cancel on day X (when the other one is active) - if they need a reason then tell them you have shifted to another insurer. Simple.

They will have to refund the period that you have paid for that is not longer covered (as you have cancelled it from that day on) - unless they want some awkward questions from APRA.

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before.
What is the importance of having the Tesla wall charger installed by an electrician with experience with installing them, as opposed to someone without experience?
I recall seeing it mentioned a few times but don't know why it's important. I am wanting them to also inspect/install a bathroom exhaust fan, so one electron to do both would be ideal.
A simple and "dumbed down" answer would be appreciated 😁
Well I just spent 3 hours learning how to configure the wall charger I had installed by someone inexperienced. If Ludicrous Tom hadn't mentioned the password being inside the unit in his video I would be waiting on Tesla support to reissue a PW. I just hope the actual wiring is OK. The lights are showing correct now so I expect all will be well when I charge tomorrow.

Well I just spent 3 hours learning how to configure the wall charger I had installed by someone inexperienced. If Ludicrous Tom hadn't mentioned the password being inside the unit in his video I would be waiting on Tesla support to reissue a PW. I just hope the actual wiring is OK. The lights are showing correct now so I expect all will be well when I charge tomorrow.
Can I ask, isn't there also a QR code that can set it up that comes in the box? Getting mine wired next week but won't be here when they do it. I can't get someone with experience, small country town. 2 electricians and I'm the first person here getting an EV charger so I'll have to commission it when I get home. Hope it's not too hard.

Reactions: Missimpatient
Can I ask, isn't there also a QR code that can set it up that comes in the box? Getting mine wired next week but won't be here when they do it. I can't get someone with experience, small country town. 2 electricians and I'm the first person here getting an EV charger so I'll have to commission it when I get home. Hope it's not too hard.
Tell them to NOT throw ANY of the packaging away as I have heard of this happening and leaving the customer with a non functional charger because the password was discarded. Annoying.

OT but since insurance was mentioned, I’m struggling a bit for VIC insurance options. I’m with Budget Direct but they don’t insure Teslas, at least not a Model 3 Performance.
RACV has been the cheapest so far but the reviews are… not great.
What are y’all going for? Delivery range starts in a couple weeks so keen to get this locked in.