Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve read that Tesla don’t build to order, and they only build to order. I’m hoping that our orders being in gives them at least a heads up what configurations to build in rhd so they get pumped out when they start building them.

So, this is round two for me.
My current M3 RWD was delivered on 26 Sep 2022. I saw the changes on the highland and pulled the trigger the other day. I have essentially ordered the same car.

Why so soon?
  • I prefer the look of the highland update.
  • I like the the idea of having no stalks (I am probably in the minority here but the way the indicator stalk works at the moment is the biggest dislike of the car).
  • The ventilated seats is another big plus.
  • The change over price wasn't too extreme.
So, here I am waiting again.

So, this is round two for me.
My current M3 RWD was delivered on 26 Sep 2022. I saw the changes on the highland and pulled the trigger the other day. I have essentially ordered the same car.

Why so soon?
  • I prefer the look of the highland update.
  • I like the the idea of having no stalks (I am probably in the minority here but the way the indicator stalk works at the moment is the biggest dislike of the car).
  • The ventilated seats is another big plus.
  • The change over price wasn't too extreme.
So, here I am waiting again.
Same here, my 2nd M3P arrived in August 2022, and ordered a Highland LR, same colour. If they release a"P" I'll cancel this order and re-order a P.
Same as you the indicators are the worst part of the car, so I'd welcome the buttons ( the minority might be bigger than you think).

Reactions: PcS000 and dronus
Same here, my 2nd M3P arrived in August 2022, and ordered a Highland LR, same colour. If they release a"P" I'll cancel this order and re-order a P.
Same as you the indicators are the worst part of the car, so I'd welcome the buttons ( the minority might be bigger than you think).
I recently drove a merc Vito and its indicators are on the left with the drive on the right. Can’t tell how many times I put it into neutral heading towards reverse when going to indicate. Was a bit weird on my m3 test drive too.
For me it’s get used to the indicator being in the wrong side, or on the wheel so the rest of the cool stuff out weights that forsure :)

They must be good cars if you guys are getting new ones!

IMG_6091.jpeg

If you know, you know…

I recently drove a merc Vito and its indicators are on the left with the drive on the right. Can’t tell how many times I put it into neutral heading towards reverse when going to indicate. Was a bit weird on my m3 test drive too.
For me it’s get used to the indicator being in the wrong side, or on the wheel so the rest of the cool stuff out weights that forsure :)

They must be good cars if you guys are getting new ones!
I have driven Audis for the last ten years so left indicator is not an issue. You get used to it pretty quickly and then when you do happen to switch back to right side indicator you adapt back quickly, it’s like you learn a new skill!

Reactions: dronus
My concern with the new model is the lack of USS, I love the Audi system, I can pretty much park with my eyes closed and I don’t use the screen at all. The camera based system in the highland has had some mixed reviews but I am sure it will be sorted over time, it’s not like FSD has taken that long :)

Are cars listed as being “inventory” cars actually here, or does it include cars that may be being built still or are on the way?

I pulled the pin and ordered one of the few M3Ps in inventory for QLD since there’s no Performance/Plaid version of the Highland yet. Started doing the paperwork today (novated lease paperwork was holding things up) and it’s now showing an EDD of mid to late October - which to me suggests that the car is on a boat but not here yet.

Anyone know the deal with new “inventory” listed on the website?

Are cars listed as being “inventory” cars actually here, or does it include cars that may be being built still or are on the way?

I pulled the pin and ordered one of the few M3Ps in inventory for QLD since there’s no Performance/Plaid version of the Highland yet. Started doing the paperwork today (novated lease paperwork was holding things up) and it’s now showing an EDD of mid to late October - which to me suggests that the car is on a boat but not here yet.

Anyone know the deal with new “inventory” listed on the website?
From what ive picked up the factory in Shanghai is only building Highland Model 3 now so those vehicles might be on a boat, in a dock yard or waiting at a Tesla yard.
Its interesting that only certain inventory cars are available per state, must be a logistics thing..
When the same configuration 2023 model 3 came up in inventory that i had ordered i considered changing to it, but talked myself out of it and will keep waiting for the ordered Highland to be delivered.
I guees in the short term if you are after a performance, you dont have many options right now. Mid October is like 4 weeks away so that car cant be too far away. I think the people who ordered and had build dates around the time that the factory switched over are taking delivery now, if that helps at all :)

Congrats on the new M3P! which colour did you get?

Reactions: AngryLitig8r
I think so. Tesla won't let you buy from another state and deliver; I guess this keeps things simpler for them. ACT and NSW seem to share almost the same inventory, which makes sense as they all come in via the same port.
I wonder where South Australian bound cars enter the country? We do have big dock things where ships drop off cars like mitsubishis and Toyotas so maybe there? Or maybe on a semi from melbourne?

I wonder where South Australian bound cars enter the country? We do have big dock things where ships drop off cars like mitsubishis and Toyotas so maybe there? Or maybe on a semi from melbourne?
My 3LR was delivered to Melbourne (which I confirmed through the VIN and ship) and then trucked over here to Adelaide, where it was then ready for me to pick up from the airport warehouse.

From what ive picked up the factory in Shanghai is only building Highland Model 3 now so those vehicles might be on a boat, in a dock yard or waiting at a Tesla yard.
Its interesting that only certain inventory cars are available per state, must be a logistics thing..
When the same configuration 2023 model 3 came up in inventory that i had ordered i considered changing to it, but talked myself out of it and will keep waiting for the ordered Highland to be delivered.
I guees in the short term if you are after a performance, you dont have many options right now. Mid October is like 4 weeks away so that car cant be too far away. I think the people who ordered and had build dates around the time that the factory switched over are taking delivery now, if that helps at all :)

Congrats on the new M3P! which colour did you get?
Thanks. I’d assumed it meant in a warehouse in Oz at first, but on a ship is good enough.

The approach to inventory cars is a bit bizarre, but it cuts both ways. Just under 2 years ago I ordered a M3LR just as the wait period jumped from 3-4 weeks to 3 months or so. I tried to order an inventory car in NSW and was happy to pay shipping etc., but Tesla weren’t interested. Long story short, 6 months later there was still no sign of my car so I bought something else.

This time around I got lucky and the inventory was available up here so snagged the M3P given that an updated performance is probably at least a year away.

I got a blue one. I preferred MSM to hide dirt and scratches but there was only one of them and it got snapped up before I moved. I’ll just need to wash it more often 🤣

Reactions: PcS000 and dronus