Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_6248.jpeg

In the name of science I tested it on the 3phase 32a outlet at work.
Seemed to light up fine. I just wish I had a car to plug the other end into!

The 32A 5-pin plug will work with 32A 5-pin sockets at showgrounds, but there's a wide variety of sockets out there. Apart from different maximum current (eg. there's also 20A and 10A 5-pin sockets, that physically won't accept the 32A plug), there's also sometimes 4-pin three phase sockets that don't have a neutral, and those won't work for charging the car (the plug doesn't fit, and the car needs a neutral link anyway).

Separate to this, the car checks for a neutral-earth tie so it won't work on some generator setups - this is regardless of which plug you're using.
We have some of those at work too, 32A 5 pin and 20A 5 or 4 pin. As you say, they are not interchangeable.
Electric forklift had a 4 pin 20A.
EVChargers do a kit which has different adapters for all the different combinations, but it starts getting a bit $$ if you get all of them, and they are pretty heavy due to good industrial materials so extra weight to cart around.

I looked on plugshare and noted places i might go to one day and figured id be ok with the following;
1. Charge at home or work when no one is looking.
2. Use Superchargers or Chargefox/Evie mostly
3. Use destination charger at accomodation.
4. Carry a type 2 cable for some of the untethered outlets.
5. Use the UMC with the 10/15/32a tails as needed if nothing else available.

I dont caravan but i heard there are some special caravan plug/sockets also which were meant to dissuade people from plugging anything other than caravans in to powered sites, but you could just daisy chain from the slower outlet in the caraven, which is probably more dangerous hahaa

I dont panic where service stations are currently, and see the availability of power more ubundent with a bit of planning :)

Last edited:
Out of interest what is your order date?

If you were super keen on another performance I’d wait, the rumour mill seems to be indicating it might be on its way when the new plaid comes out in the states? There are a few American YouTube channels with a bit of info on that.

Sorry to hear about your current car being totalled, that must have been devastating!

05 Aug 2023

Check my profile for my thread “Is it totalled?”. It has pictures of the incident.

Absolutely mentally devastating. The car was a wedding gift from my then-fiancée.

05 Aug 2023

Check my profile for my thread “Is it totalled?”. It has pictures of the incident.

Absolutely mentally devastating. The car was a wedding gift from my then-fiancée.
Holy dooley. Im glad you were able to walk away from that one! Hopefully your next Tesla comes soon!

5th August is a fair wait, they must have stopped making the P a bit earlier? My order was about a week after which then got upraded to Highland when i was told the 2023 isnt available; but. mine was just a standard RWD

The highland version of the M3P will come but will they go the same route as the X/S and not produce in RHD???
Given the popularity of the RWD 3 and Y and low stats on the performance model in AU, maybe it will be discontinued. Time will tell.
I think I am the opposite of you in that I believe I have the last of the old model M3Ps, built on 28/8/23.
I am taking delivery, novated lease for 3 years and then move into whatever is available then, no doubt the BEV landscape will be very very different in 3 years time!
I have a 28/08 M3P on the way too, VIN appeared in revs the other day, pretty sure they are on the Morning Cherry!

Delivery day for me today, 10am! Took the day off but a couple of things crept in that I have to deal with, that I'm trying to get out of the way before heading over to the delivery centre. Feels like time is crawling along... :)
Soo excited for you!!
Next 5 hours is going to feel like a week!

Hopefully amongst the excitement you can post a pic up of your new car!!

It was scheduled to arrive on Sept 18th at Port of Brisbane - obviously a bit late.

Currently underway according to vesselfinder.

Port of Brisbane isn’t showing it yet - good chance it will be held at an anchorage before it gets to dock and unload. Still, not long to go!

Attachments

• IMG_1017.png
    IMG_1017.png
    776.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1018.png
    IMG_1018.png
    459.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1019.png
    IMG_1019.png
    1 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Reactions: dronus