Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I say Lego wrong and the first time I ever mentioned stobie poll in NSW people thought I was having a stroke. We are a special bunch from SA.
And mall. There is no U or W in it.
That’s heaps good.
When I was in the army I learnt that people over in the east take rugby pretty seriously. I’d never heard of it. Apparently it’s different to the American version and you can’t throw the ball onto the ground behind the goals and dance/floss/twerk as it’s not counted.
I still don’t get it, but that’s just me.

Just a random question or two while waiting..

1. Can you just get in the Tesla and drive, or do you have to wait for the battery to heat up or cool down (or schedule depart time), and
2. With my Calais it has this thing if you leave a fob in the car and you get out and close the door it beeps and carries on and doesn’t lock. I get it, it reminds you to take the fob with you but if you have a spare key in your bag or whatever it’s a little annoying. How does the model 3 handle that? I’m guessing as long as a card isn’t on the reader it won’t pick it up, but what if u left your phone in the car and had a card in your wallet? Would it stay unlocked?

1. Can you just get in the Tesla and drive, or do you have to wait for the battery to heat up or cool down (or schedule depart time), and
2. With my Calais it has this thing if you leave a fob in the car and you get out and close the door it beeps and carries on and doesn’t lock. I get it, it reminds you to take the fob with you but if you have a spare key in your bag or whatever it’s a little annoying. How does the model 3 handle that? I’m guessing as long as a card isn’t on the reader it won’t pick it up, but what if u left your phone in the car and had a card in your wallet? Would it stay unlocked?
No you can just drive at any time but it is recommended in cooler weather to precondition the battery before you leave so you get everything warmed up while still hooked up to the grid or your solar. As for leaving your card behind I wouldn’t bother with it, just have it hooked to your phone and then as you approach it unlocks and will adjust seats and mirrors for you, and as you leave it locks. You can always check from phone anywhere in the world and unlock lock as needed.

Reactions: dronus

1. Yep. Get in, shift into drive and off you go.

2. Yes, it just stays unlocked. Not sure if you can program it to remind you somehow but I forgot my phone in it in the garage and it just sat there unlocked for an hour until I went looking for it.

also, I’m interested in hearing how the AC is with these warmer days. My Calais is German built and struggles to stay cool in summer
High 20s yesterday and today in SEQ. Had to turn the a/c down. Not sure how it will handle mid to high 30s and humidity, but the ability to cool it down from the phone before you leave is quite convenient. Apparently I have that feature on my ix3 too but I’ve never been able to make it work, works perfectly on the Model 3 so far.

1. Yep. Get in, shift into drive and off you go.

2. Yes, it just stays unlocked. Not sure if you can program it to remind you somehow but I forgot my phone in it in the garage and it just sat there unlocked for an hour until I went looking for it.

Walk-Away Door Lock​

Doors and trunks can automatically lock when you walk away carrying your phone key or paired key fob (if ordered after approximately October 1, 2019). To turn this feature on or off, touch Controls > Locks > Walk-Away Door Lock.

Walk-Away Door Lock​

Doors and trunks can automatically lock when you walk away carrying your phone key or paired key fob (if ordered after approximately October 1, 2019). To turn this feature on or off, touch Controls > Locks > Walk-Away Door Lock.
Yeah I was just worried if I left a card in my bag etc but it seems like it’s not a problem haha thanks!
High 20s yesterday and today in SEQ. Had to turn the a/c down. Not sure how it will handle mid to high 30s and humidity, but the ability to cool it down from the phone before you leave is quite convenient. Apparently I have that feature on my ix3 too but I’ve never been able to make it work, works perfectly on the Model 3 so far.
my Calais has a remote start thing but you have to have set the ac to the right temp before, and pressed the ac button otherwise it just blows air.
Great in winter tho to warm the car and seats up while still inside finishing off a coffee.

Yeah I was just worried if I left a card in my bag etc but it seems like it’s not a problem haha thanks!

my Calais has a remote start thing but you have to have set the ac to the right temp before, and pressed the ac button otherwise it just blows air.
Great in winter tho to warm the car and seats up while still inside finishing off a coffee.
I would just use the phone, leave the cards or fobs at home, even if worse case scenario your phone goes flat you get someone to call you wife who can unlock the car remotely (yes, that has happened)

I wish Tesla gave some/any indication of rough timelines. I go thru these waves of excitement, then wondering if I should look at another m3, then another brand then come back again to knowing the one I’ve ordered is probably the best outcome so stick with it, go do something else and not think about it.
Get to practice patience but at the same time some idea would be nice :)

How did you guys go while waiting? Did you always have some rough timeline in your account?

Mine is delivery 29/9 - 20/10. But with the cherry just leaving Brisbane I am wondering if there have been scheduled pickups for Sydney.

MC is booked to dock at PK on the 06/10/23, it may be delayed still though. Last time I had a booking to pick my car up about 5 days after it rolling off the ship. They won't book anything in until the car is on land as there is often congestion at the ports (especially PK), you will get a email saying your delivery is approaching when it rolls off the ship and is scanned.

Last edited:
I wish Tesla gave some/any indication of rough timelines. I go thru these waves of excitement, then wondering if I should look at another m3, then another brand then come back again to knowing the one I’ve ordered is probably the best outcome so stick with it, go do something else and not think about it.
Get to practice patience but at the same time some idea would be nice :)

How did you guys go while waiting? Did you always have some rough timeline in your account?
Haha, I hear ya, I happened to be walking by the Tesla store yesterday so dropped in to have a play around with the model 3.

Also have one hired for a week long road trip in a couple of weeks, (hire comes with free super charging so it's not costing much more than it would have cost me for fuel for the trip) so that should satisfy my itch a little and gives me a chance to set up our driver profiles ready to go and test out EAP and FSD etc.

Also just ordered my wall charger so I'll get that installed and then just keep playing the waiting game. This house had a Tesla wall charger previously so the 3 phase CB and isolation switch is already in place, just need to find someone to wire it from the switch to the charger. I asked one guy who was out doing other work and he said 600-700 which seems crazy high, from what I've seen that's the price to get the whole deal set up and installed.

Re Timeline I've still got the Jan - Mar, though the guy at the Tesla store seemed to indicate I'd be one of the very first given I ordered on 1 Sept. I'd say you'd be in the same boat if not ahead of me given you already had an order in.

Haha, I hear ya, I happened to be walking by the Tesla store yesterday so dropped in to have a play around with the model 3.

Also have one hired for a week long road trip in a couple of weeks, (hire comes with free super charging so it's not costing much more than it would have cost me for fuel for the trip) so that should satisfy my itch a little and gives me a chance to set up our driver profiles ready to go and test out EAP and FSD etc.

Also just ordered my wall charger so I'll get that installed and then just keep playing the waiting game. This house had a Tesla wall charger previously so the 3 phase CB and isolation switch is already in place, just need to find someone to wire it from the switch to the charger. I asked one guy who was out doing other work and he said 600-700 which seems crazy high, from what I've seen that's the price to get the whole deal set up and installed.

Re Timeline I've still got the Jan - Mar, though the guy at the Tesla store seemed to indicate I'd be one of the very first given I ordered on 1 Sept. I'd say you'd be in the same boat if not ahead of me given you already had an order in.
Cheers.
Yeah as a sparky I wired my wall connector myself. To be honest it’s a relatively simple job (depending on the house etc). I ran a new circuit and breaker, cabling, modified and mounted everything up with an isolation switch in a few hours. I’m a bit oCD with things so it took a little longer but yeah there is a reason tradies have expensive 4wds and JetSkis at their holiday homes!
If they are running 3 phase it is a bit more expensive for cable, circuit breakers etc and it can be a bit trickier to run. I don’t have 3 phase so I just ran single phase (32a).
Ohh that’s a good idea hiring one.

I just watched a delivery of a new model S plaid in ultra red on YouTube, that colour really pops compared to the normal red model 3!

Last edited: