Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my bad you are correct it won't work. I will ask the sparky if it's possible to install a 5 pin so I can buy the 5-pin adaptor. Saw your other response, and seems possible. Thanks so much
Yeah a 5pin 32a Clipsal ip56 socket with switch isn’t expensive, and beats buying both 3 and 5 pin adapters. I’m trying to find a source of the UMC plugs and the rig to program them, if it was financially viable I’d make a bunch of them but tbh the evchargers one is pretty schmick.

IMG_6248.jpeg

Reactions: Zinzilla
Does wiring up single phase to a 5-pin socket break any compliance codes?
No but wiring 3 phase up to a single phase most certainly would!
Always a good idea to check with the local rules and regulations in your state though.

Edit: the plug above is a 3 phase plug but only has L1,N and E wired in. This meets Australian standards.
If the socket has matching cabling and it’s all done to code including the new specifications for circuit protection there isn’t an issue. Plugging a 3 phase device into it won’t work (obviously) and it’s good karma to mark the socket as single phase.

Last edited:
Thanks both for your comments - super helpful!

By the way I came across this - not relevant for you guys in NSW/SA but for me in QLD this is absolute BS!! Apparently illegal to have a 32a/7kw outlet on single phase unless you hard wire it to off-peak (which means no charging on-peak, and no ability to use my own solar to charge).

Reactions: dronus

By the way I came across this - not relevant for you guys in NSW/SA but for me in QLD this is absolute BS!! Apparently illegal to have a 32a/7kw outlet on single phase unless you hard wire it to off-peak (which means no charging on-peak, and no ability to use my own solar to charge).

Yeah as I mentioned it pays to check with your local rules and regulations.
In SA you have to notify sa power networks when adding any circuit over 20a single phase.

Reactions: MBau

Maybe your coal fired power plants can’t keep up like our renewable energy haha.

I can’t emphasise enough, always consult with and have a licensed electrician when planning and installing any fixed wiring that doesn’t plug into your existing wiring :) They will know and give you the best result.

Reactions: MBau
Well 13 hours and 1200km later thoroughly enjoyed it.

Spent 90% of the trip on FSD or EAP and was very happy with it all. Reminds me more of flying a plane just spending the time monitoring instruments and surroundings rather than having to concentrate on manually maintaining lane speed etc.

Looking forward to the trip back have learned heaps about how everything works, all the idiosyncrasies of the systems etc.

Got my profile all perfected ready for my car to arrive.

Well 13 hours and 1200km later thoroughly enjoyed it.

Spent 90% of the trip on FSD or EAP and was very happy with it all. Reminds me more of flying a plane just spending the time monitoring instruments and surroundings rather than having to concentrate on manually maintaining lane speed etc.

Looking forward to the trip back have learned heaps about how everything works, all the idiosyncrasies of the systems etc.

Got my profile all perfected ready for my car to arrive.
Awesome! What a great way to get a feel of it all before your car arrives! Cool that your profile is all set up too!
Wow, 1200km! Any issues with chargers or I guess that highway would be pretty well catered for ;)

Awesome! What a great way to get a feel of it all before your car arrives! Cool that your profile is all set up too!
Wow, 1200km! Any issues with chargers or I guess that highway would be pretty well catered for ;)
Yeah, charging experience could not have been better.

I'd planned the route a few times using ABRP and the in Tesla navigation planned the exact same stops as I had.

We basically did 3.5 charging stops (one was only a 5 minute top up), all but one of them the car was ready to go WELL before we were and was nagging me like a teenage kid that it was keen to get back on the road again, lol. Dinner I kind of had to rush through because it was getting close to 100% (and these were all the older type 1 and 2 super chargers).

So the only real time that was added to our trip was the one 15 minute charge between lunch and dinner. We just watched a bit of youtube and netflix and then off we went.

I found the range estimates were all either spot on or slightly on the conservative side. We arrived at each of the 3 full charges with around 15-18% and aimed to leave with about 80% - I'd set my minimum threshold to 10%. - Should add that is with 3 adults and a loaded the the hilt with luggage etc.

Definitely a great experience, I might give the wife a little turn on the way back, she's a little more techonologically adverse though (can't get her to use the cruise control in her Toyota) but even there she was mostly fine with FSD/EAP doing the driving, only a few very minor scares towards the end and having it driving at night worried her slightly. Probably didn't help that one of them caught me a little off guard and I let out a four letter word before recovering. I don't think she's at the point where she would use it, but she can definitely see the benefits.

Last edited:
Yeah, charging experience could not have been better.

I found the range estimates were all either spot on or slightly on the conservative side. We arrived at each of the 3 full charges with around 15-18% and aimed to leave with about 80% - I'd set my minimum threshold to 10%. - Should add that is with 3 adults and a loaded the the hilt with luggage etc.
Its really interesting from a cognitive point of view huh, the change in the way we can adapt and think about travel.
The anxiety would also be there if we realised that we stop to refuel petrol on long trips with less than 20% in the tank, but just dont associate it with the battery % icon we have been trained to observe via consumer electronics. When i see my phone is at 20% i get a bit panicky and am looking for somewhere to charge it whereas i could just plan for that better by reducing my consumption and better planning.

It will be interesting to see the consumption in kwh over that long drive.. is it fairly flat? I cant remember its been a very long time since i have driven in QLD.

It will be interesting to see the consumption in kwh over that long drive.. is it fairly flat? I cant remember its been a very long time since i have driven in QLD.
Yeah I think particularly on a route like this 10% is fine.

Re consumption I still have my Tesla L plates I can see the last leg had an average of 155.

The graph in the the energy section is fairly flat but it only shows up to 50km unless I'm missing something.

I’ve never seen a 3 pin (it’s actually 4) 32a socket out and about.

You made a very informative post, but I just wanted to clarify that 4 pin 32A sockets are (unfortunately) fairly common in rural showgrounds etc, but they are different again.

1697753561398.png

They are three phase but are missing a neutral pin - which isn't needed for three phase motors etc, but means they can't be used for charging EVs at all.
The fourth pin is the earth / ground pin.

They are otherwise identical to a 5 pin which means 4 pin plugs will fit in a 5 pin socket. The centre pin is the neutral.

32A-5roundpin.png

And there are two different kinds of 3 pin 32A (single phase) sockets. Flat pin and round pin.

32A-3flatpin.png
32A-3roundpin.jpg

I don't think you'll come across either one when you're "on the road" and unfortunately the round pin version is a different layout from the 5 pin 32 socket.

That means I also recommend installing a 5 pin socket at home, even if you only have single phase - so you can use the adapter in one of the ubiquitous 5 pin sockets out in the wild, but if you really want to install a 3 pin then the choice is between

a) the round-pin which at least holds the plug in securely but is useless for everything else, or
b) the flat pin which you can at least use with 10A and 15A plugs but which risks the plug partially coming out and causing arcing if you're not careful.

Reactions: dronus