Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That means I also recommend installing a 5 pin socket at home, even if you only have single phase - so you can use the adapter in one of the ubiquitous 5 pin sockets out in the wild, but if you really want to install a 3 pin then the choice is between

a) the round-pin which at least holds the plug in securely but is useless for everything else, or
b) the flat pin which you can at least use with 10A and 15A plugs but which risks the plug partially coming out and causing arcing if you're not careful.
Particularly these days you have to be pretty far off the beaten path to find yourself somewhere that charging off the 3-phase socket at the showground is your bets option.

I liked the round-pin socket because I liked the way it seals when not in use, protecting the components from corrosion, as you say the screw collar is nicely secure, and I feel the electrical connection to the round pins is more durable than the flat bladed ones.

(There's a few dedicated threads for charging adaptors, including the sticky one Charging Adaptors 101).

Reactions: dronus
I might just keep this in my glovebox incase I can’t find a supercharger..
My pile of “stuff” grows again…

Attachments

• IMG_6680.jpeg
    IMG_6680.jpeg
    327.8 KB · Views: 47
Yeah a 5pin 32a Clipsal ip56 socket with switch isn’t expensive, and beats buying both 3 and 5 pin adapters. I’m trying to find a source of the UMC plugs and the rig to program them, if it was financially viable I’d make a bunch of them but tbh the evchargers one is pretty schmick.
I have a feeling you may work for Clipsal down there at Gepps X if memory serves me??? :)

Well 13 hours and 1200km later thoroughly enjoyed it.

Spent 90% of the trip on FSD or EAP and was very happy with it all. Reminds me more of flying a plane just spending the time monitoring instruments and surroundings rather than having to concentrate on manually maintaining lane speed etc.

Looking forward to the trip back have learned heaps about how everything works, all the idiosyncrasies of the systems etc.

Got my profile all perfected ready for my car to arrive.
Nice work, I get freaked out with just the standard auto pilot, the FSD and EAP would probably put me over the edge. After 40+ years of driving the need to be in control will probably never leave me. I have had two phantom brakes and one incident this morning where autopilot just wanted to go into a different lane while going through some lights and I had to pull it back in or I would have hit a car, not so sure Elon has this stuff sorted just yet.

Plaid Model 3 inbound?

The rep at my handover suggested this may be the case also. He said it may be that the model 3 P is replaced with the plaid model given that we now dont have the S/X. Price would likely be in the 150-200k mark given it may be a tri motor and 0-100 in less than 2 secs! Glad I got the M3P when I did, I couldn't afford the replacement.

You made a very informative post, but I just wanted to clarify that 4 pin 32A sockets are (unfortunately) fairly common in rural showgrounds etc, but they are different again.

View attachment 983626

They are three phase but are missing a neutral pin - which isn't needed for three phase motors etc, but means they can't be used for charging EVs at all.
The fourth pin is the earth / ground pin.

They are otherwise identical to a 5 pin which means 4 pin plugs will fit in a 5 pin socket. The centre pin is the neutral.

View attachment 983627

And there are two different kinds of 3 pin 32A (single phase) sockets. Flat pin and round pin.

View attachment 983624View attachment 983625

I don't think you'll come across either one when you're "on the road" and unfortunately the round pin version is a different layout from the 5 pin 32 socket.

That means I also recommend installing a 5 pin socket at home, even if you only have single phase - so you can use the adapter in one of the ubiquitous 5 pin sockets out in the wild, but if you really want to install a 3 pin then the choice is between

a) the round-pin which at least holds the plug in securely but is useless for everything else, or
b) the flat pin which you can at least use with 10A and 15A plugs but which risks the plug partially coming out and causing arcing if you're not careful.
All very good points!
And just to throw another spanner in the works the 3 and 5 pin also come in 20A versions which are smaller diameter and not interchangeable.
Some 20A sockets have a flat notch instead of a cutout like below.

You can get a setup thru evchargers which has interchangeable plugs but once you price it all up i got a bit hesitant checking out the cart. I dont plan on going anywhere crazy and if i did find myself in a rural showground something really weird has happened and id just plug into whatever else is available :) I saw a photo on plugshare of someone who plugged into a 10A socket on a public toilet somewhere along the hume highway in Victoria ( i think near Benalla) desperate times call for desperate measures hahaha.

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 10.30.06.png

Nice work, I get freaked out with just the standard auto pilot, the FSD and EAP would probably put me over the edge. After 40+ years of driving the need to be in control will probably never leave me. I have had two phantom brakes and one incident this morning where autopilot just wanted to go into a different lane while going through some lights and I had to pull it back in or I would have hit a car, not so sure Elon has this stuff sorted just yet.
We are definitely way behind the beta versions in the US.

I only had one brake (really just a slowdown) which was while passing a truck, it only really dropped about 6 or 7 km/hr as I was ready to push the accelerator in this situation.

Didn't have any other issues with slowing. It did try to veer into other lanes a 4 times, usually just when an added lane starts. Twice it self corrected and the other two, I intervened but it really didn't leave the lane on any of those was just enough to wake you up if you weren't paying attention.

The only other issue I had, which was my fault, was changing lanes I'm so used to only using the half push on the indicator to change lanes but if you do that with EAP or FSD when you have it set to confirm lane changes it thinks you've changed your mind and swerves back to the original lane. I think the buttons instead of stalks will help in that regard and will be more intuitive.

I think if you approach it the right way and understand the limitations it's a great tool. It certainly made the 13 hour drive a LOT less tiring.

Reactions: Zinzilla and dronus
I’ll try and find out tomorrow although your NL consultant should be able to get a quote too.
My NL use some company down near Regency Park. When I had my current car done I had to take it back twice, once was because the window tint wasn’t done correctly and also because they didn’t clip the door cards back on correctly and it had a rattle
I used Ceramicar in Windsor Gardens - was $1600 which also included tinting and paint repair as the black paint was marked from shipping / washing before delivery. Came up really well so can recommend it if you want to try singer else.

I have a feeling you may work for Clipsal down there at Gepps X if memory serves me??? :)
Haha nope! Id get shanked out that side of town. Although many, many moons ago we used to go to the "Cavan Steak Van" which is just near there. If their EFTPOS machine was broken you would have to go in to the adjoining pub to use the ATM, excusing yourself from the topless bar staff haha.

Reactions: Cocoboy
We are definitely way behind the beta versions in the US.

I only had one brake (really just a slowdown) which was while passing a truck, it only really dropped about 6 or 7 km/hr as I was ready to push the accelerator in this situation.

Didn't have any other issues with slowing. It did try to veer into other lanes a 4 times, usually just when an added lane starts. Twice it self corrected and the other two, I intervened but it really didn't leave the lane on any of those was just enough to wake you up if you weren't paying attention.

The only other issue I had, which was my fault, was changing lanes I'm so used to only using the half push on the indicator to change lanes but if you do that with EAP or FSD when you have it set to confirm lane changes it thinks you've changed your mind and swerves back to the original lane. I think the buttons instead of stalks will help in that regard and will be more intuitive.

I think if you approach it the right way and understand the limitations it's a great tool. It certainly made the 13 hour drive a LOT less tiring.
Does the car you have autopark included?
I dont know why that isnt included in autopilot. My current Holden Calais has it and its made me look like a parking genius a few times as im a horrible reverse parker..

I dont know why that isnt included in autopilot. My current Holden Calais has it and its made me look like a parking genius a few times as im a horrible reverse parker..
It does, I haven't tried it yet though.

That's the one real negative I have so far is the lack of 360 view which my current car has. I'm getting used to it but initially I definitely missed it.

And just to throw another spanner in the works the 3 and 5 pin also come in 20A versions which are smaller diameter and not interchangeable.
Some 20A sockets have a flat notch instead of a cutout like below.
Yep, and unfortunately 4 pin versions (like the ones you pictured) of those are common too, and once again are incompatible with EVs as they don't have a neutral.
I dont know why that isnt included in autopilot.
It was included with the original Autopilot on Model S, and by accounts worked really well.

But I can see why it's an optional extra on newer Teslas - so that fewer people get to see just how terrible it is.
My Model Y kerbed a wheel the 3rd time I used it.
So much for cameras + ultrasonics.

Still waiting for the "single stack" FSD based auto parking and "Actually Smart Summon"

Yep, and unfortunately 4 pin versions (like the ones you pictured) of those are common too, and once again are incompatible with EVs as they don't have a neutral.

It was included with the original Autopilot on Model S, and by accounts worked really well.

But I can see why it's an optional extra on newer Teslas - so that fewer people get to see just how terrible it is.
My Model Y kerbed a wheel the 3rd time I used it.
So much for cameras + ultrasonics.

Still waiting for the "single stack" FSD based auto parking and "Actually Smart Summon"
If Tesla want to take my Calais with perfectly working autopark both Parallel and the other way on either side of the car and give me a Tesla just let me know where to drop it off :)

• Funny
Reactions: Jules22
Particularly these days you have to be pretty far off the beaten path to find yourself somewhere that charging off the 3-phase socket at the showground is your bets option.

I liked the round-pin socket because I liked the way it seals when not in use, protecting the components from corrosion, as you say the screw collar is nicely secure, and I feel the electrical connection to the round pins is more durable than the flat bladed ones.

(There's a few dedicated threads for charging adaptors, including the sticky one Charging Adaptors 101).
Some workplaces have them too *wink*

It does, I haven't tried it yet though.

That's the one real negative I have so far is the lack of 360 view which my current car has. I'm getting used to it but initially I definitely missed it.
Auto park is good but it’s part of the enhanced autopilot $5100 option. My 3 month trial runs out in a few weeks - it really should be part of the standard functionality. ☹️

Reactions: PcS000
Stealth Grey looks awesome, can’t wait until mine gets here…..
The manage order page does say it could affect timelines (and will affect cost) but being that out cars are probably currently haven’t been built you *should* be fine.
If you do change it, can you let us know if your RN changes please?

After sleeping on it overnight, I bit the bullet and changed my order from Deep Blue Metallic to Stealth Grey (+$800). Of note, the RN and EDD remained the same in the online portal, with an email shortly following confirming it all. The 'order date' on the new invoice also retained the original order date, 17/09/2023. Can't wait!

After sleeping on it overnight, I bit the bullet and changed my order from Deep Blue Metallic to Stealth Grey (+$800). Of note, the RN and EDD remained the same in the online portal, with an email shortly following confirming it all. The 'order date' on the new invoice also retained the original order date, 17/09/2023. Can't wait!
Awesome, thanks for letting everyone know too, will be reassuring for anyone who is thinking about making a change.
The stealth grey does look pretty awesome!

Just go the max and get 8 buttons and the dial 😂

I like the phone charger holder you install above the steering column, it charges and you use the s3xy app so you get a heads up display.
I was just watching one of their videos and they mention you can use one to start conditioning the battery as they dont have enough superchargers wherever they are. I can see this being handy here too.. hmmmm