Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I wait for my LR to arrive, I took a RWD for a test drive today. My first time driving a Tesla, and I have to say it was a wonderful experience.

I’m coming from a 2020 Audi RS3, and prior to that a 2006 Subaru WRX, which was heavily modified.

The RWD had plenty of punch as I did a 0-80 pull on Tapley’s Hill Road. The instant torque and lack of turbo lag was much appreciated. The driving position was nice and low, much better than my RS3/WRX.

I went hard through a couple of twisty bends and was pleasantly surprised at the lack of body roll. Combined with the very comfortable suspension I really do think the new model 3 will be a perfect little family car for me, the wife and my very young son.

I tried the steering on standard and sport, and definitely preferred sport.

I had no issues with the indicators & the gear selection via the screen, and one pedal driving was fantastic!

I was told they have a LR due to arrive at Adelaide for test drives on 22nd January, so I might book in a test drive then. Honestly, the RWD was more than adequate and I don’t think anyone who has ordered one will regret it from a performance point of view - I just really wanted the 17 speakers!

Attachments

• IMG_9429.jpeg
    IMG_9429.jpeg
    613.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9429.jpeg
    IMG_9429.jpeg
    613.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9430.jpeg
    IMG_9430.jpeg
    520.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9432.jpeg
    IMG_9432.jpeg
    521.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9434.jpeg
    IMG_9434.jpeg
    543.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9435.jpeg
    IMG_9435.jpeg
    397.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9436.jpeg
    IMG_9436.jpeg
    499.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9438.jpeg
    IMG_9438.jpeg
    485.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9440.jpeg
    IMG_9440.jpeg
    520.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9441.jpeg
    IMG_9441.jpeg
    352.8 KB · Views: 19
Ahh ok cool thanks, sounds like a good idea to get ppf. I think my current NL got it along the sills and behind the wheels, but nothing up front.
I alway get nervous when some idiot in front of me starts driving in the emergency lane for no reason, as thats where a lot of rocks and stuff is..
Having said that, my current NL has 92k on it and no real stone damage to the front. Lots of highway driving.

Is your current car a Tesla? Tesla's are known for having quite thin and soft paint so more prone to rock chips but here's to hoping they have improved on this on the Highland 🙏

Have you messaged Tesla?

Nah, I'm not bothered atm. Just interested in seeing what changes with the new shipment. If the new ones come with three anchors then it confirms that this could be the issue with holding up deliveries.

I think it is an easy fix, likely to be handled by service centres. If it is true that the early ones don't comply then sure there will be a recall to fix it. I don't care about it for my use, however for resell it might be an issue without a fix.

While I wait for my LR to arrive, I took a RWD for a test drive today. My first time driving a Tesla, and I have to say it was a wonderful experience.

I’m coming from a 2020 Audi RS3, and prior to that a 2006 Subaru WRX, which was heavily modified.

The RWD had plenty of punch as I did a 0-80 pull on Tapley’s Hill Road. The instant torque and lack of turbo lag was much appreciated. The driving position was nice and low, much better than my RS3/WRX.

I went hard through a couple of twisty bends and was pleasantly surprised at the lack of body roll. Combined with the very comfortable suspension I really do think the new model 3 will be a perfect little family car for me, the wife and my very young son.

I had no issues with the indicators & the gear selection via the screen, and one pedal driving was fantastic!

I was told they have a LR due to arrive at Adelaide for test drives on 22nd January, so I might book in a test drive then. Honestly, the RWD was more than adequate and I don’t think anyone who has ordered one will regret it from a performance point of view - I just really wanted the 17 speakers!
Nice write up, glad you enjoyed it!

• Love
Reactions: dronus and Tesl3on

Great write up! I have come from small cars (Mazda 323, Nissan 180sx, Focus XR5) and so the RWD just appeals so much more to me from a weight and balance point of view. Great to hear you enjoyed the performance

• Love

Great to hear about your experience & i felt the same about the handling! :)
Except for the larger rims, the car your test drove is very similar to what I am waiting for - another 6-9 weeks...

• Love
Honestly, the RWD was more than adequate and I don’t think anyone who has ordered one will regret it from a performance point of view - I just really wanted the 17 speakers!
RWD is too slow! :) I mean, you can really feel the difference between RWD and LR. RWD is more like a ICE car with a large engine, similar to BMW with 2.8 litre engine, when you kick down. LR, on the other hand, is something very different and almost gives me tunnel vision.

Reactions: DrKwong
RWD is too slow! :) I mean, you can really feel the difference between RWD and LR. RWD is more like a ICE car with a large engine, similar to BMW with 2.8 litre engine, when you kick down. LR, on the other hand, is something very different and almost gives me tunnel vision.
haha here's me coming from a 1.4L Turbo and thought the RWD was awesome! The LR/P models must be crazy fast!

Reactions: DrKwong
haha here's me coming from a 1.4L Turbo and thought the RWD was awesome! The LR/P models must be crazy fast!
I rented a rwd for a week while my SSV got modded..
Terrible idea!!
I got my car back, and even though it makes 330rwkw it felt really underwhelming after the instant punch of the tesla.
Made all the right noises, has heaps of grunt, but it was the wind up that did it.

Once my M3LR gets here, ill probably supercharge the commodore 🤣

Reactions: dronus and Jules22