Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is always the option to re-classify it as a 4 seater car, personally wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I hate passengers so the less of them the better. Would want a 20% rebate on the cost of the car, or free FSD and speed boost as compensation. That would work nicely.
I believe for this to happen, the centre seatbelt would have to be removed. If there is a seatbelt there, the seat can be used. Could be wrong though.

Long time watcher, first time poster.

It’s been a big day for me. Checked the app this morning (just like every morning) for any sign of a VIN and/or change to the original Jan-Mar delivery window ….. nothing …. again.

Checked again late this arvo and was doing cartwheels when I got a VIN and 16 Feb - 8 March delivery window (Chatswood DC) ….. all to be ruined when I read the stop delivery.

Boooooooooo!

I believe for this to happen, the centre seatbelt would have to be removed. If there is a seatbelt there, the seat can be used. Could be wrong though.
In the same way that you cant put a child seat in either front seats cant they just say you cant put a child seat in the centre rear seat? Its for adults only.
To say that the centre seat is the safest also would suggest that its safer than the child seat being on the opposite side to impact, and if the side child seat positions are so dangerous, why are tethers required there?

Do the new door strengthening brackets (remember them from the youtube influencers reviews?) yanno, the ones that help make that thunk sound, increase the structural integrity to a point that it doesnt matter where a rear chikd seat is?
That could be easily verified by comparing the crash test data from the 2023/2024 models.
I think they were included so they met strict US side impact laws.

In the same way that you cant put a child seat in either front seats cant they just say you cant put a child seat in the centre rear seat? Its for adults only.
To say that the centre seat is the safest also would suggest that its safer than the child seat being on the opposite side to impact, and if the side child seat positions are so dangerous, why are tethers required there?

Do the new door strengthening brackets (remember them from the youtubd influencers reviews?) yanno, the ones that help make that thunk sound, increase the structural integrity to a point that it diesnt matter where a rear chikd seat is?
That could be easily verified by comparing the crash test data from the 2023/2024 models.
I think they were included so they met strict US side impact laws.
Are we likely to see crash test data for highland? Based on everything I’ve seen it seems like it won’t be retested under ANCAP/euro

Reactions: RichY3 and dronus
Checked again late this arvo and was doing cartwheels when I got a VIN and 16 Feb - 8 March delivery window (Chatswood DC) ….. all to be ruined when I read the stop delivery.
Welcome :) I don't think the delivery window will change. They won't be able to shoo-shoo the dinghies back to China, so they will need to find a quick and acceptable solution. This means they either make an ugly hole in the shelf (aliexpress and Chinese producers are very thankful, there will be "luxury leather shelf Tesla Model 3 Highland" for AU$700 excluding delivery) or remove the seatbelt and reclassify the car as 4-seater. In the latter case 50% of the customers will cancel their orders (including myself), and I don't think it will be an acceptable loss for Tesla.

On the other hand, it actually may be an acceptable loss for Tesla indeed, looking at how easily they just removed Model S and Model X from the Australian market.

Nevertheless, I sincerely think that this ADR rule is beyond stupid.

Reactions: dronus
Welcome :) I don't think the delivery window will change. They won't be able to shoo-shoo the dinghies back to China, so they will need to find a quick and acceptable solution. This means they either make an ugly hole in the shelf (aliexpress and Chinese producers are very thankful, there will be "luxury leather shelf Tesla Model 3 Highland" for AU$700 excluding delivery) or remove the seatbelt and reclassify the car as 4-seater. In the latter case 50% of the customers will cancel their orders (including myself), and I don't think it will be an acceptable loss for Tesla.

On the other hand, it actually may be an acceptable loss for Tesla indeed, looking at how easily they just removed Model S and Model X from the Australian market.

Nevertheless, I sincerely think that this ADR rule is beyond stupid.
They could make it a 2 seater and i wouldnt care. More room in the back seat for the dog.
It really does highlight the stupidity of it, esp if no where else in the world needs it (maybe nz who had deliveries a long time ago).

Reactions: sishome