Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's hope there are no severe hailstorms from now until they get moved under cover 😬

1000042464.gif

So whose car is on FA? I found this Global Shipping & Logistic Solutions - Wallenius Wilhelmsen they are the operator of the Melbourne roro/car terminal. You can view the berthing schedule on the website and according to that she won’t berth until Friday morning
Mol ace RoRo still reporting 27/1 (and site data is not up to date). While FA should be around Melbourne Tues (23/1) morning. I find it hard to believe that it stick around waiting for that long before mooring/unloading.

1705833200742.png

Reactions: Rosier
Can anyone shed any light on the TPMS (tyre pressure monitoring systems) that retail for $120 each in the Tesla store? A quick Google brings up that these sensors need to be replaced if there’s a fault, tyre change or when the battery dies.. so $480 for 4 wheels on top of the cost of wheels?

Few things to note if this is true:

1. Why? What do other car manufacturers use?
2. Not very eco-conscious of Tesla having sealed in batteries in these little devices that monitor tyre pressure that are then thrown out once their serviceable life is up
3. Again, why?

Reactions: MBau
Can anyone shed any light on the TPMS (tyre pressure monitoring systems) that retail for $120 each in the Tesla store? A quick Google brings up that these sensors need to be replaced if there’s a fault, tyre change or when the battery dies.. so $480 for 4 wheels on top of the cost of wheels?

2. Not very eco-conscious of Tesla having sealed in batteries in these little devices that monitor tyre pressure that are then thrown out once their serviceable life is up
3. Again, why?
1. Fault will be covered by warranty unless physically damaged due to some incident in which case can be claimed thru insurance if substantial.
2. sealed TPM sensor batteries usually lasts north of 10 years.
3. Tyre change usually won't demand a tpm change. Where did you see such thing mentioned?

3. Again, why?
Can confirm they're absolutely reusable and interchangeable, they're just delicate

Reactions: e-enthusiast30

3. Again, why?
You don't have to replace them every time you change tyres. Only if they are faulty, damaged or when the battery dies. The batteries on these lasts over 4 years. TPMS sensors aren't serviceable and they come sealed with an epoxy compound so you can't change the batteries.

Interesting. I googled what my current car uses (VW Golf) and it uses sensors that can detect when a wheel is spinning quicker than the vehicle speed and throw up a flat tyre warning, although it won’t show you individual PSI of each tyre like a Tesla would. Pros and cons I guess.

The site I looked at stated you usually replace them when replacing tyres. Another site stated the battery lasts between 5-10 years.

It kind of threw me off, I didn’t realise there were wireless Bluetooth sensors in the wheels for tyre pressure monitoring. The more you know (and hoping not have to replace often).

3. Again, why?
Why would you just discard them on a tyre change. Never had this added as charge on my Audi cars over 9 years, they just get included in the cost.

Mol ace RoRo still reporting 27/1 (and site data is not up to date). While FA should be around Melbourne Tues (23/1) morning. I find it hard to believe that it stick around waiting for that long before mooring/unloading.

View attachment 1010911
Can you look up by Vessel? I got these results by searching my VIN. One of MOL's own ships, Grand Mercury will be holding up FA until Friday according to MIRRAT

Interesting. I googled what my current car uses (VW Golf) and it uses sensors that can detect when a wheel is spinning quicker than the vehicle speed and throw up a flat tyre warning, although it won’t show you individual PSI of each tyre like a Tesla would. Pros and cons I guess.

The site I looked at stated you usually replace them when replacing tyres. Another site stated the battery lasts between 5-10 years.

It kind of threw me off, I didn’t realise there were wireless Bluetooth sensors in the wheels for tyre pressure monitoring. The more you know (and hoping not have to replace often).
RPM sensors are different to TPM.
TPM usually integrated to the air valve stub rotates with the wheel and transmits that data wirelessly.
RPM sensor usually hall effect based sits close to the wheel sense the magnet field of a small magnet which is embedded to the wheel assembly. This is used mostly for ABS, traction control and may be for other fault detection scenarios

Fun fact: disconnect the RPM sensor in one of the wheel and ECU will totally disable the Traction control and you are on your own. Drift or drag or donut or whatever. But don't forget to connect it back once you are back on the road :)

TPM usually integrated to the air valve stub rotates with the wheel and transmits that data wirelessly.
RPM sensor usually hall effect based sits close to the wheel sense the magnet field of a small magnet which is embedded to the wheel assembly. This is used mostly for ABS, traction control and may be for other fault detection scenarios

Fun fact: disconnect the RPM sensor in one of the wheel and ECU will totally disable the Traction control and you are on your own. Drift or drag or donut or whatever. But don't forget to connect it back once you are back on the road :)
Which category do spokey dokeys fall under?

• Funny
Reactions: jeevas123

Haha thanks for that advice.

Sounds like RPM sensors don’t need to be replaced at least.

As of a few days ago I received a VIN and an updated delivery date of 2 Feb - 10 Mar. Haven't received any messages or comms from Tesla at all since ordering in September though. I guess I'll wait to get a message about which ship it's on then?
As soon as it is on a ship they would have send an email or sms with the name of the vessel. Then you can track that vessel in vesselfinder or similar to see the status.

Everyone whose car is on a ship atm just prey that none of those cars have seeds or other organic matter 😂 because even if one car has something out of 100 cars, they usually put all the cars from the vessel in to quarantine.

I remember some time ago this happened to almost all the ships that brought cars to port of Melbourne. Port Phillip bay was full of anchored roro ships. Quite the sight

Reactions: jeevas123