Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Councils are proving to be a level of government that is pretty superfluous..
A former suburb I lived in the front door had to be 1m behind the garage door when facing from the street. All sheds had to be green and a particular green. There were a butload of idiotic restrictions. My fav though was when they spent 50k on a timber reception fit out for their own office and then promptly removed it because it reminded people of old white men with timber studies and therefore wasn't inclusive. No joke

• Funny
Reactions: Jules22 and dronus
A former suburb I lived in the front door had to be 1m behind the garage door when facing from the street. All sheds had to be green and a particular green. There were a butload of idiotic restrictions. My fav though was when they spent 50k on a timber reception fit out for their own office and then promptly removed it because it reminded people of old white men with timber studies and therefore wasn't inclusive. No joke
Its amazing they are allowed to enforce such things, or have any say on what you do in your own home.
It wouldnt be about their "application and approval fees" by any means.. shirley... It seems that most builders wont even take on this kind of work in this area, as they know the council wont approve it.

You can almost make out the boundary of my council by the lack of EV chargers on plugshare, they seem to have an aversion to EVs aswell.. (green is private destination chargers...) They say its the responsibility of service stations to refuel cars, and no other council provides EV charging facilities.. easily debunked..

Screenshot 2024-01-23 131151.png

Mandatory setbacks from the property line are pretty common in more suburban building zones. I guess they want people to have front gardens and not just a wall right at the footpath.
yeah i get that, but this is carports which dont go near the boundary.

If you put carport in the planning wizard it blanket says No - you will need approval (and speaking to builders they say approval is rare.
Interestingly if you change it to shade sail it says:

Your proposed development is exempt from requiring approval at this location if it meets all of the below criteria.

A shade sail for an existing building won’t need approval if:​

1. The sail is made of permeable material such as shadecloth.
  2. The area of the sail doesn’t exceed 20 square metres.
  3. No part of the sail will be more than 3 metres above ground or floor level.
  4. No part of the sail is in front of the building line of the building that faces the primary street.

So your building could be 30m from the street and it still doesnt meet their rules..

So your building could be 30m from the street and it still doesnt meet their rules..
I don't think that's what it's saying, but rather that if it's in front of the building they will need an application to check if it meets the requirements.

Regardless of what the builders say you should be able to get a copy of the actual zoning requirements and see what they say.

Reactions: dronus
Ohh well. wont solve that problem here.

Crikey its hot outside, anyone driving their M3 today? hows it coping with the heat?
Just got dropped off by my friend in a M3 (2023) in white and heavily tinted and that seemed to be coping well. All the teslas in Adelaide seem to have their cooling going off today (while parked). Interestingly my friend has tinted his roof too and it worked well with ~39deg and direct sunlight on my bold head - so I think that's what i am going to be doing if/when I get mine!

Reactions: Tesl3on and dronus
The council I lived in for 10 years until recently are well known for their corruption.. an inquiry was held into council overspending and our corresponding BS high council rates, then they spent another almost $40k to permanently suppress their findings 🤬

Reactions: dronus and AusMar