Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do you need anything more than the USB stick? Are you going to view the hundred of hours or boring ass video? You only need the 10 seconds before an accident.
I read that the USB socket in the glove box is the only one in the Highland that allows you to upload media to the car’s infotainment system AND download/store media content from the Dashcam, with regards to the dashcam, I believe the stick or SSD that you use to record the footage needs to be plugged in at all times to ensure everything is captured. If that’s the case I’m thinking a Hub would be a good addition as it would allow you to leave the USB/SSD plugged to record the dashcam and add more USB devices as required.

It’s also worth mentioning the thumb drive provided with the car in the glove box has limited storage capacity, and because the car continuously stores the footage from the cameras while the car is even parked i read it was recommended it replace it with something with a higher storage capacity so that the footage is available to you for an extended time without being overwritten, which is what happens when the supplied thumb drive is full

Reactions: Mes1 and dronus
The actual problem is the weight.

Scissor jack - approx 4-5kg?
Bottle jack - approx 8-12kg?
and then

Trolley jack - 45-60 kg??
An audi aluminum jack that weighs less than 1.3 Kg (3 lbs.) can be modified with a lightweight centering bushing to fit the OEM jack point as shown below.

main.jpg

Can anyone recommend a decent sun shade for the M3H that is retractable?
BYD Tom has a review or two on youtube of retractable sunshades.
Imo they look a bit janky and would probably introduce rattles while driving but each to their own.
Let us know what you decide on, and keep sn eye on the highland accessories thread incase anyone else does it too.

I note you have overtaken me on the total number of TMC posts… and you’ve only been a member for not quite 5 months compared to my six-and-a-half years 😱

@Vostok - 1.5 posts/day
@dronus - 25.5 posts/day

That‘s… um... prolific!!
Its been a busy time asking questions to learn from you guys who have way more experience owning EVs so that my transition is more informed, so thank you 🙏

Also trying to bring some light hearted aussie humour during some pretty stressful events for most has hopefully helped some people thru those challenges.

Looking forward to taking delivery and continuing to learn and share my first time EV owner tidbits!

I read that the USB socket in the glove box is the only one in the Highland that allows you to upload media to the car’s infotainment system AND download/store media content from the Dashcam, with regards to the dashcam, I believe the stick or SSD that you use to record the footage needs to be plugged in at all times to ensure everything is captured. If that’s the case I’m thinking a Hub would be a good addition as it would allow you to leave the USB/SSD plugged to record the dashcam and add more USB devices as required.

It’s also worth mentioning the thumb drive provided with the car in the glove box has limited storage capacity, and because the car continuously stores the footage from the cameras while the car is even parked i read it was recommended it replace it with something with a higher storage capacity so that the footage is available to you for an extended time without being overwritten, which is what happens when the supplied thumb drive is full
Maybe someone with an M3 can clarify if the car will see 2 drives plugged in to this port via a hub, or just the one?
I have a new ssd ready to put in there but was just going to roll with what's supplied, maybe clone it as a backup.
I assume this is the same drive boombox uses?

Reactions: Shillo
BYD Tom has a review or two on youtube of retractable sunshades.
Imo they look a bit janky and would probably introduce rattles while driving but each to their own.
Let us know what you decide on, and keep sn eye on the highland accessories thread incase anyone else does it too.
A review here. The Model 3 is similar. Skip to the end to see it fitted and how it is when driving. If that’s for you, watch the installation otherwise save your time.
Otrifowd

Reactions: dronus
Do you guys that are upgrading (or just reading this and have one) that have the wall connector just turn it off when you are not using it to charge the car?

Apart from firmware updates (not sure how regular these are) is there any other reason to not just flick the isolator off when you have finished charging?

I figured i might be charging like once or twice a week until i get my routine sorted out and having the charger on for the 95% of the time im not using it might not be required?

Its been a busy time asking questions to learn from you guys who have way more experience owning EVs so that my transition is more informed, so thank you 🙏

Also trying to bring some light hearted aussie humour during some pretty stressful events for most has hopefully helped some people thru those challenges.

Looking forward to taking delivery and continuing to learn and share my first time EV owner tidbits!
Keep posting mate

Do you guys that are upgrading (or just reading this and have one) that have the wall connector just turn it off when you are not using it to charge the car?

Apart from firmware updates (not sure how regular these are) is there any other reason to not just flick the isolator off when you have finished charging?

I figured i might be charging like once or twice a week until i get my routine sorted out and having the charger on for the 95% of the time im not using it might not be required?
I don’t have a switch, I would have to flip the switch in the meter box. I don’t see a problem with it being on, the only power is the lights on the front. As for updates I assume
It will handle this but i doubt they are adding fart noises to the wall charger anytime soon.

Reactions: MacTessy and dronus
Maybe someone with an M3 can clarify if the car will see 2 drives plugged in to this port via a hub, or just the one?
I have a new ssd ready to put in there but was just going to roll with what's supplied, maybe clone it as a backup.

I bought the Jeda USB hub for my car which fits very neatly inside the console, but note 2019-20 Model 3s did not have a USB port in the glovebox. The Jeda hub connected to the ports used for the phone charging cables - but this was all pre-inductive charging.

My hub has a 1 TB SSD plugged into it, partitioned into 3 drives, and the car sees all 3 drives.

Here’s their website - I haven’t looked to see whether they have a product suited to Highland.

Still begs the question why you need so much footage beyond what’s on the USB drive. Anytime I have needed it I have watched in the car and on two occasions I have taken the stick out and plugged into laptop while sitting in the car and copied the files off. Storage is not an issue as it will overwrite the oldest videos when it gets full.

Reactions: dronus and Shillo

No. Its standby power use is miniscule.

Mine does not even have an isolator switch (opinion is divided on whether that is mandatory or not under the wiring rules). If I wanted to de-power it, I’d have to flick the circuit breaker.

The other thing is, if you de-powered it, then for some reason wanted to remotely start charging your car using the Tesla App, you would not be able to. It would be a trip to the garage and that would be a hassle. Leave the car plugged in and HPWC powered on.

Reactions: MacTessy and dronus
I bought the Jeda USB hub for my car which fits very neatly inside the console, but note 2019-20 Model 3s did not have a USB port in the glovebox. The Jeda hub connected to the ports used for the phone charging cables - but this was all pre-inductive charging.

My hub has a 1 TB SSD plugged into it, partitioned into 3 drives, and the car sees all 3 drives.

Here’s their website - I haven’t looked to see whether they have a product suited to Highland.

Nice one, thanks for sharing

Does anyone know if speed camera alerts are a thing on the Australian cars? I read you can enable alerts on the European cars but Tesla may have removed the function on the Aussie car due to our regulations
Has not been introduced here yet. No reason to suspect it's anything to do with regulations (and it hasn't been removed). It has been suggested it needs to wait for the next map update.