Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have found the Auto Pilot to be a bit hit and miss. It almost drove me head on into a car the other day and often fails to stay in lane across intersections when the lines stop. On the highway, yeah it does a solid job but I dont trust it for much else.

Yeah, in my mind Autopilot is an advanced lane keeper assist. You have to be ready for it eff up or do something weird, especially in more urban areas. The job it does on the Highways is pretty bloody good.

I use basic autopilot autosteer and TACC every day driving Uber between riders. Its fine 99% of the time and the 1% is generally just quirks in the lane markings. Its achillies heel is when a road joins from a T intersection on a multilane rd and and the dotted lines are marked to show people which lane to turn in to. The car will often think the dotted line in now the right side of the lane you were in and try and jump you into the lane to your left. check out the image attached that I've made a poor effort of trying to portray this 🤪.

The management of the auto acceleration/braking has been pretty much perfect. Occasional issues with what i assume is bad map data for setting speed limits.

As was mentioned above, there is occasional "drift" on large intersections where the lines aren't marked. Ive found if you are hitting the intersection at traffic speed it has lass problems than if you are just starting off and its taking the cameras longer to find the line marking, but overall, the amount of times this affects me is miniscule.

There are also some issues in new tunnels that don't have updated map data with regard to what speed it should be doing.

This is approximately 1200km a week driving all over Sydney metro area.
Holy doolie thats a lot of km and driving experience! Thanks for the info, i look forward to trying it out for myself!

Reactions: jeevas123
Yeah, in my mind Autopilot is an advanced lane keeper assist. You have to be ready for it eff up or do something weird, especially in more urban areas. The job it does on the Highways is pretty bloody good.
Yeah cool. I actually enjoy driving so i probably wouldnt use it so much on daily commute. I do use cruise control heaps often as i set it to the limit and resume. Speed cameras around adelaide are good at raising money keeping us safe

• Funny
Holy doolie thats a lot of km and driving experience! Thanks for the info, i look forward to trying it out for myself!
almost 20k in 3 months. my suggestion is use it a lot, and if it does something weird or that you don't think it should, try and work out why it behaved that way. for me, some times its been driver input/error, sometimes car. Most stuff i've worked out a process around reducing the issues and if i haven't been able to work it out, I at least know to keep an eye out for situations that might trigger the behaviour. Generally, if you have your hands on the wheel, its a simple correction. (though i'm not the best at keeping hands on the wheel)

Reactions: dronus and PcS000
almost 20k in 3 months. my suggestion is use it a lot, and if it does something weird or that you don't think it should, try and work out why it behaved that way. for me, some times its been driver input/error, sometimes car. Most stuff i've worked out a process around reducing the issues and if i haven't been able to work it out, I at least know to keep an eye out for situations that might trigger the behaviour. Generally, if you have your hands on the wheel, its a simple correction. (though i'm not the best at keeping hands on the wheel)
Yeah kinda like old school manual driving - if you go around a corner and find out its off camber - the next time you approach it you kinda prepare for it..

Apart from mapping updates, does autopilot learn from over rides? Or is that a FSD thing?

I had a weird one the other week, up in the mountains. I still can't explain it. Autopilot was working fine and was raining a little bit. Doing about 80km/h, we came across a small section of newly sealed road with no lines and the car through a fit just before we entered it - instantly gave me back control with a big beeps and red warnings. I initially thought, it's because it lost the centre and fog lines. I put it back into autopilot and kept driving. The no more than 300-400m later, we hit the same sort of newly sealed road without markings, I held onto the wheel and...nothing. Not a peep or bleep. The rest of the drive there and back home, nothing else happened.

The road was cut into the hill. The first one was down hill and slight curve to left. The second one was also downhill and curving right. Whether it didn't like the first one because it had the cutout on the left and road was also curving that way, I really don't know?

Pure speculation from me.

I had a weird one the other week, up in the mountains. I still can't explain it. Autopilot was working fine and was raining a little bit. Doing about 80km/h, we came across a small section of newly sealed road with no lines and the car through a fit just before we entered it - instantly gave me back control with a big beeps and red warnings. I initially thought, it's because it lost the centre and fog lines. I put it back into autopilot and kept driving. The no more than 300-400m later, we hit the same sort of newly sealed road without markings, I held onto the wheel and...nothing. Not a peep or bleep. The rest of the drive there and back home, nothing else happened.

The road was cut into the hill. The first one was down hill and slight curve to left. The second one was also downhill and curving right. Whether it didn't like the first one because it had the cutout on the left and road was also curving that way, I really don't know?

Pure speculation from me.
The lane keep assist sometimes gangs up with the Front collision early warning in my current car against me. If you are going around a right hand bend and a car is stopped on your left it lets out a tsunami/air raid/fire alarm that will wake the dead. I think it thinks you are going straight for it, even though you are following the bend.

Yours is interesting, has it done it anywhere else?

I use basic autopilot autosteer and TACC every day driving Uber between riders. Its fine 99% of the time and the 1% is generally just quirks in the lane markings. Its achillies heel is when a road joins from a T intersection on a multilane rd and and the dotted lines are marked to show people which lane to turn in to. The car will often think the dotted line in now the right side of the lane you were in and try and jump you into the lane to your left. check out the image attached that I've made a poor effort of trying to portray this 🤪.

The management of the auto acceleration/braking has been pretty much perfect. Occasional issues with what i assume is bad map data for setting speed limits.

As was mentioned above, there is occasional "drift" on large intersections where the lines aren't marked. Ive found if you are hitting the intersection at traffic speed it has lass problems than if you are just starting off and its taking the cameras longer to find the line marking, but overall, the amount of times this affects me is miniscule.

There are also some issues in new tunnels that don't have updated map data with regard to what speed it should be doing.

This is approximately 1200km a week driving all over Sydney metro area.
How is your charge routine ?

Reactions: dronus
10th September Ordered LR White 18" wheels everything else stock Sydney-Chatswood

ETA changed from jan-march with everyone else to FEB 15 - March 22
24th January - eta changed FEB 14-March 21
25th January - Got sms saying model 3 assigned and im on PAGANELLA vessel,
26th January - This morning it changed to FEB 13 - March 20
29th January - This morning eta changed to FEB 4 - March 11
30th January - eta GONE. just says Estimated Delivery: TBD Delivery timing will be available soon in web account now.

Still no VIN

10th September Ordered LR White 18" wheels everything else stock Sydney-Chatswood

ETA changed from jan-march with everyone else to FEB 15 - March 22
24th January - eta changed FEB 14-March 21
25th January - Got sms saying model 3 assigned and im on PAGANELLA vessel,
26th January - This morning it changed to FEB 13 - March 20
29th January - This morning eta changed to FEB 4 - March 11
30th January - eta GONE. just says Estimated Delivery: TBD Delivery timing will be available soon in web account now.

Still no VIN
Id say you are being reassigned a car that is fairly close!

Autopilot Autosteer (beta) is an advanced lane keeper assist
Autopilot is the suite of functionalities that includes, TACC and Autosteer(beta), EAP and FSD.

does autopilot learn from over rides
I dont think so. There is a section of road which become wider (but still single lane) near my house that I drive on everyday and it still makes the same mistake everyday and wants to veer left.

The lane keep assist sometimes gangs up with the Front collision early warning in my current car against me. If you are going around a right hand bend and a car is stopped on your left it lets out a tsunami/air raid/fire alarm that will wake the dead. I think it thinks you are going straight for it, even though you are following the bend.

Yours is interesting, has it done it anywhere else?
Nope, that's first time something that dramatic has ever happened.