Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love driving it. Auto pilot is great on highway. Learning a bit each day. I have a charger at my front door where I am. Super convenient. Type 2 plug. An auto frunk add on would be handy for charging this way as getting the cable out in/out can be messy. Between rain drenchings here it gets filthy. Back home less of an issue with the WC.

Hertz really should have floor mats. They hand you the key, a slip of paper with links to charging apps and see you on your way. Not surprised some struggle with charging if not near an SC.
That is a very good point about the cables and when its raining. You really wouldnt want to have to put them in the boot, the frunk seems like a better place so you can clean it out later (in your car, bugger the rental!)

Renatl prob had floor mats when it was new, but pinched soon after haha..

Reactions: MacTessy
Man MIRRAT is keeping me on the edge. Every time I see someone edit that spreadsheet I worry that they may have pushed back the unloading.

Like, you can know it’s not gonna get delayed only when it’s fully unloaded.

It takes two wipes to know you need three. But it takes three wipes to know you needed two.

Man MIRRAT is keeping me on the edge. Every time I see someone edit that spreadsheet I worry that they may have pushed back the unloading.

Like, you can know it’s not gonna get delayed only when it’s fully unloaded.

It takes two wipes to know you need three. But it takes three wipes to know you needed two.
You only know when you'll have the car when you have the car. Something about counting chickens.. or onions, i forget.

Reactions: sishome
I love driving it. Auto pilot is great on highway. Learning a bit each day. I have a charger at my front door where I am. Super convenient. Type 2 plug. An auto frunk add on would be handy for charging this way as getting the cable out in/out can be messy. Between rain drenchings here it gets filthy. Back home less of an issue with the WC.

Hertz really should have floor mats. They hand you the key, a slip of paper with links to charging apps and see you on your way. Not surprised some struggle with charging if not near an SC.
I have found the Auto Pilot to be a bit hit and miss. It almost drove me head on into a car the other day and often fails to stay in lane across intersections when the lines stop. On the highway, yeah it does a solid job but I dont trust it for much else.

Reactions: jeevas123
I lived just out of Sydney for about 12 months in the 90's. Such a big place. Im not sure if its the same now but back then it was quite popular for people to deliberately crash into you for a minor bingle, and then they get their mates "repair place" to write their car off..
Some lady tapped into me (in my VL turbo btw) and got a little scratch. We exchanged details and eventually when my insurance took her to court, the photos and report of her car showed it rolled down an embankment. She was adamant that i had caused the damage, and i should pay. Major flaw in her story was that the location was on the M5 just out of liverpool. On the side of the road. With a police report.
Plus there used to be people out East Hills way who would lay on the road and pretend to be injured. If you stopped to help, their mates would steal your car.

Maybe it has changed? haha. They certainly seem to have lots of EV charging infrastructure!
Well it is on a whole different level I should say. Petty crimes like those will be there in many such pockets but they have gone pretty minor and unpopular nowadays compared to many other types including drugs, trafficking, tech and corruption. Sydney has grown way beyond anyone's imagination from what it was in 90's. Also witnessed corruption and crime in multiple levels of bureaucracy including police and govt . So what we have now is total sum of all those. Kind of live-able if you can afford it still, but not a happy place by any means compared to many others. But then my view is my hermit's view. So I need to start circling this continent once I get my car to refresh my view..:)

Reactions: dronus
I have found the Auto Pilot to be a bit hit and miss. It almost drove me head on into a car the other day and often fails to stay in lane across intersections when the lines stop. On the highway, yeah it does a solid job but I dont trust it for much else.
SO no good in stop-start city traffic?
Im a bit nervous it will just take off and ram me into someone. Or a lake.

• Funny
Reactions: jeevas123
That is a very good point about the cables and when its raining. You really wouldnt want to have to put them in the boot, the frunk seems like a better place so you can clean it out later (in your car, bugger the rental!)

Renatl prob had floor mats when it was new, but pinched soon after haha..
Only problem is the charging spot is on the rear. I use the boot, I grab the end for the car and plug that in while the remainder of the cable is still in the car then grab the other end and plug into charger.

Reactions: dronus
Only problem is the charging spot is on the rear. I use the boot, I grab the end for the car and plug that in while the remainder of the cable is still in the car then grab the other end and plug into charger.
Ohh good point. i guess good floor mats would help for the boot.

Not that id be using my type 2 cable very often, would mostly be at home and tethered chargers, but good to know if needed. Lots of our RAA chargers out of Adelaide are BYOC so ill keep mine somewhere just incase.

Something about counting chickens.. or onions, i forget.
It ain't over until the fat lady sings

Autosteer(beta) is not recommended in city traffic.

People use Autopilot in place of Autosteer(beta)
Autopilot is the suite of functionalities that included TACC, Autosteer, Enhanced autopilot and FSD

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: dan_brooks
Im a bit nervous it will just take off and ram me into someone. Or a lake.

I use basic autopilot autosteer and TACC every day driving Uber between riders. Its fine 99% of the time and the 1% is generally just quirks in the lane markings. Its achillies heel is when a road joins from a T intersection on a multilane rd and and the dotted lines are marked to show people which lane to turn in to. The car will often think the dotted line in now the right side of the lane you were in and try and jump you into the lane to your left. check out the image attached that I've made a poor effort of trying to portray this 🤪.

The management of the auto acceleration/braking has been pretty much perfect. Occasional issues with what i assume is bad map data for setting speed limits.

As was mentioned above, there is occasional "drift" on large intersections where the lines aren't marked. Ive found if you are hitting the intersection at traffic speed it has lass problems than if you are just starting off and its taking the cameras longer to find the line marking, but overall, the amount of times this affects me is miniscule.

There are also some issues in new tunnels that don't have updated map data with regard to what speed it should be doing.

This is approximately 1200km a week driving all over Sydney metro area.

Attachments

• IMG_3404.jpg
    IMG_3404.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 20