Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a port ironically called port adelaide :)

Toyota and i think ford/mitsubishi send ship loads of cars here all the time. Probably some cash incentives you have to pay to dock there..

if you zoom in to here you can see them all lined up!
Surely the logistic boffins have crunched the numbers and worked out it's more economical to truck Teslas from MEL than get a ship to call in? Maybe they don't currently get the same sales numbers as manufacturers that ship straight to SA, or the ships they use simply don't wish to head there.. who knows.

Reactions: dronus
Surely the logistic boffins have crunched the numbers and worked out it's more economical to truck Teslas from MEL than get a ship to call in? Maybe they don't currently get the same sales numbers as manufacturers that ship straight to SA, or the ships they use simply don't wish to head there.. who knows.
Yeah i dunno. Shirley going by the photos of all the cars in the holden yard they might be able to. But dunno

Reactions: e-enthusiast30
A couple of years back when sales numbers were lower, all Teslas came in through Port Kembla. The Western Australian cars were transhipped on a different vessel to Fremantle, all the rest went by road.

So yeah, it seems like it's a volume thing. Most of the RORO ships that Tesla takes space on seem to stop at Brisbane, Port Kembla and Melbourne then return to Asia, which means they'd have to pay to have the vehicles unloaded and then reloaded on to a smaller transship vessel if they wanted to go by water to Adelaide.

Reactions: e-enthusiast30
Melbournian here waiting patiently. The original delivery window was 4th of Feb and has since been pushed back to the 16th. It was unloaded from FIRMAMENT ACE. I called Tesla asking for an update and was told that they're facing delays trucking it from the port over to Mulgrave.
This is the second message about the cars stuck at the Melbourne port :( It looks like this information given by tesla is correct, as there are also no M3s left in Adelaide. Delays-schmelays.

This is the second message about the cars stuck at the Melbourne port :( It looks like this information given by tesla is correct, as there are also no M3s left in Adelaide. Delays-schmelays.
Hmm. When I called Tesla (Adelaide?) Last week, there was mention of port issues but I brushed it off thinking that was part of a script... maybe there's truth to that.
I thought the port would want all cars out of there asap(?).

Last edited:
Melbournian here waiting patiently. The original delivery window was 4th of Feb and has since been pushed back to the 16th. It was unloaded from FIRMAMENT ACE. I called Tesla asking for an update and was told that they're facing delays trucking it from the port over to Mulgrave.
Same boat, and had the same EDD. It changed to 16th, and then dropped to 12th. And I got the text to book it in on the 13th.

I highly doubt that the cars are shipped to the DC according to the order dates. That would be highly inconvenient for the logistics and the roro company. Instead they’d just take whatever cars are the most convenient to load and drive away, perhaps in the order they are parked at the roro terminal. It’s like reaching in to an M&M bag and taking a handful. My M&M happened to be on one of the first grabs.

While I think the logistical delays part is true. I highly doubt they are held at the port. Port Melbourne is strict with R&D and they already have DAFF to worry about for causing congestions. I don’t think they’ll be happy if Tesla casually congest the port further by parking a few hundred cars. I think either Tesla or the logistics company has their own yards like many do. But it’s a less of a blow to say “oh the cars are held up at the port” than to say “oh the cars are held up at our yard waiting to be transported to the DC”

Yes it is correct. I’ve done the same. I have an insurance budget and I’ve gone with Shannon’s that covers all the glasses. That was the best premium-excess combo I could find for my scenario.

I pay monthly and I had to pay the first instalment and they will start reimbursing me next month. If you opt in to pay yearly, you have to wait till funds accumulate in your budget account for you to get reimbursed.
I found Shannon's to be the cheapest. I called them yesterday and they said they don't cover the roof glass on the Tesla.

I found Shannon's to be the cheapest. I called them yesterday and they said they don't cover the roof glass on the Tesla.
My phone call with them (and the PDS) got the opposite response

IMG_5514.jpeg

Reactions: Tesl3on
While I think the logistical delays part is true. I highly doubt they are held at the port. Port Melbourne is strict with R&D and they already have DAFF to worry about for causing congestions. I don’t think they’ll be happy if Tesla casually congest the port further
DAFF would be absolutely delighted though. They will have an argument "well, if they are parked here anyway, why don't we check (and fail) them?" and then every recheck is extra money to DAFF.

Fair enough. My understanding was that that the glass was called a Glassroof and not a Sunroof. I've been trying to get it in writing that they cover the glass roof as the PDS in most policies says sunroof.
But do your own research. I’m going to ring them again tomorrow.

It’s covered under the comprehensive insurance anyway. But I wanted to make sure it’s also covered under the “excess free glass claim” because obviously it’s nicer to save your no claim rating and the $700 excess. The lady I spoke to said it is.

The PDS says reasonable costs. I know the glass roof is very expensive. But some windscreens are over $2,000 too including the camera realignments etc.

But do your own research. I’m going to ring them again tomorrow.

It’s covered under the comprehensive insurance anyway. But I wanted to make sure it’s also covered under the “excess free glass claim” because obviously it’s nicer to save your no claim rating and the $700 excess. The lady I spoke to said it is.

The PDS says reasonable costs. I know the glass roof is very expensive. But some windscreens are over $2,000 too including the camera realignments etc.
So I just called them again now. The guy says it definitely covers the glass roof. He said the guy I was speaking to yesterday must be new, as they have hired a bunch of new people recently. He refuses to send me an email in writing saying it covers the glass roof as he says the PDS covers glass roof.

• Informative
Reactions: Rosier