Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a question regarding NL insurance. The included car insurance in my NL did not include sunroof cover. So, naturally, I browsed through the threads here and found NRMA, which includes sunroof as part of the windshield cover.

I mentioned this to my NL provider and they came back saying that I've got to arrange and pay for the initial premium of NRMA insurance myself prior making to the NL provider making payment for the car.

They would still include the allowances for the insurance in my salary deductions. The NL provider would reimburse the premium cost from my lease account so that I am are still taking advantage of the pre tax payment for the NRMA insurance.

Does this sound right?
Yes it is correct. I’ve done the same. I have an insurance budget and I’ve gone with Shannon’s that covers all the glasses. That was the best premium-excess combo I could find for my scenario.

I pay monthly and I had to pay the first instalment and they will start reimbursing me next month. If you opt in to pay yearly, you have to wait till funds accumulate in your budget account for you to get reimbursed.

Another weekend for the 'Firmament Ace M3H waiting club'...

waiting-waiting-patiently.gif

Yes it is correct. I’ve done the same. I have an insurance budget and I’ve gone with Shannon’s that covers all the glasses. That was the best premium-excess combo I could find for my scenario.

I pay monthly and I had to pay the first instalment and they will start reimbursing me next month. If you opt in to pay yearly, you have to wait till funds accumulate in your budget account for you to get reimbursed.
Just did the same that's good to know about the reimburse monthly, I hate messiness in account but they mentioned to me otherwise I'd have to wait until next year to get reimbursed for this year.

I found NRMA with glass cover for $1,500 a year cheaper than NL insurance which didn't cover glass and had a crazy excess on claims.

Just did the same that's good to know about the reimburse monthly, I hate messiness in account but they mentioned to me otherwise I'd have to wait until next year to get reimbursed for this year.

I found NRMA with glass cover for $1,500 a year cheaper than NL insurance which didn't cover glass and had a crazy excess on claims.
I made a transaction account just for the lease. Payments go out of that card, and reimbursements get deposited to the account as well. That way it won’t mess up my other accounts and I can always track the lease spendings too.

Reactions: MacTessy and AusMar

What options are you choosing to get $1500 a year from NRMA. I got approx $4500 for comprehensive plus(got a incident claim last year). And every other insurance in the same ball park.

Edit: Tried without incident also and still no significant insurance, Changed address to my VIC one and even that didn't help. Am I making a blatant mistake. Can't figure my self in a high risk category in any way.

Last edited:
What options are you choosing to get $1500 a year from NRMA. I got approx $4500 for comprehensive plus(got an incident claim last year). And every other insurance in the same ball park.
Most of my quotes were around $2800. Including the one from RACV(we don’t have NRMA insurance in VIC). But if I change my car to 2024 model and change the suburb, it would drop to like $2200.

Shannon’s turned out to be my best option. $2400 with $700 excess.

• Love
Reactions: jeevas123
Most of my quotes were around $2800. Including the one from RACV(we don’t have NRMA insurance in VIC). But if I change my car to 2024 model and change the suburb, it would drop to like $2200.

Changed the car to bmw x3 and insurance dropped to 1600 approx. Let me try BMW ix3 to see if corporate malpractice is the only reason for such inflated rates.

Last edited:
Bmw ix3 was much cheaper to insure compared to M3H. So very clear as crystal that this is just foul play. I think we should start an online petition and swing the hammer at insurance companies with maximum force.

No wonder Tesla started their own insurance business. If tesla insurance is available in Australia this blatant rip offs could be shown their place.

Reactions: bsbh and Rosier

I hate that because my car (which I still haven't taken delivery of) was built 1 month before the 2024 models, costs me $200 more a year to insure at a lower agreed value too :(

They'll just make up BS excuses about repair costs etc. We can only hope that Tesla insurance comes out here or someone smart enough sees the opporutnity to make a competitive product.

Mind you I did get lucky and my insurer was able to offer me a reasonable rate compared to my previous ICE vehicle, but I see everyone is getting different results even with the same insurer I have.

I really hate insurance companies, lol. It's the biggest rip-off we are pretty much forced to endure.

What options are you choosing to get $1500 a year from NRMA. I got approx $4500 for comprehensive plus(got a incident claim last year). And every other insurance in the same ball park.

Edit: Tried without incident also and still no significant insurance, Changed address to my VIC one and even that didn't help. Am I making a blatant mistake. Can't figure my self in a high risk category in any way.
GIO is the “cheapest” option for me at $3k annually. AAMI and Suncorp were the second best at $3.4k.

• Love
Reactions: jeevas123
I hate that because my car (which I still haven't taken delivery of) was built 1 month before the 2024 models, costs me $200 more a year to insure at a lower agreed value too :(
Yeah, I missed out by 10 days, built 21 Dec.

And yes, everyone's right. Tesla's are for some reason, very expensive to insure. Idk if that's because there are so many accidents involving teslas or whether most tesla claims are on the expensive side, but regardless, all the teslas are insanely expensive to insure. But, I know this, if tesla insurance comes to australia, I'd sign up right away.

Reactions: Tesl3on
Yeah, I missed out by 10 days, built 21 Dec.

And yes, everyone's right. Tesla's are for some reason, very expensive to insure. Idk if that's because there are so many accidents involving teslas or whether most tesla claims are on the expensive side, but regardless, all the teslas are insanely expensive to insure. But, I know this, if tesla insurance comes to australia, I'd sign up right away.
Its all about making money and they do that very well.
Id sign up too for Tesla insurance. Im pretty confident there would be some strong financial lobbying of the government regulators to stop or delay that as long as they can because they know that they will go from having everything to having nothing pretty quickly.

Reactions: Tesl3on and Jules22