Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently all Shanghai-made cars coming to Australia have the USS sensors installed and active. At the moment, no suggestion of that changing.
Re: delivery: little chance of people have a 3/04 build yet. With the significant and ever-changing port delays it looks like 6 weeks from build to delivery is the absolute minimum.
My personal example has been exceptionally bad: 31/01 build, delivery May 4th.
Currently all Shanghai-made cars coming to Australia have the USS sensors installed and active. At the moment, no suggestion of that changing.
Re: delivery: little chance of people have a 3/04 build yet. With the significant and ever-changing port delays it looks like 6 weeks from build to delivery is the absolute minimum.
Forgot to mention earlier, May the 4th be with you! :)

• Informative
Reactions: NeilA and bean2006
Please take this extra as a grossly oversimplified overview of where you should get to. I stress that this is information only.

If you take out a Novated Lease today on an EV which is eligible for the Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT) exemption:

a) Your taxable income should be reduced by the lease payments deducted from pre-tax by your employer. This means you would, all other things being equal, get a tax benefit. This benefit you get to keep, even allowing for the RFBA point at b) below.

b) Without being overly specific, child support/ HECS etc payments would probably remain unchanged. This is because your child support/ HECS repayment base (i.e. what your repayments are calculated on) is much broader than just pure taxable income and is designed to try and capture as many things as the government thinks should be included to determine your yearly earnings. One of the things included is the RFBA.

This is why I said above, the Government is happy to give you an income tax break because you are helping the take-up of Electric Vehicles. It won't, however, let you get a tax break and a break on your other obligations such as child support/ HECS.
With all the caveats about financial advice on the internet… I think you need to look into this further.
Your taxable income is reduced by the pre-tax payments to the leasing company.
HOWEVER your reportable fringe benefits amount is calculated based on what the taxable value of the car would have been if it’s not exempt. Which simplistically is 20% of the base value of the car. This is then further grossed up by a factor of 1.8ish. Eg car base value of $70k, taxable value $14k, reportable $26,415.

In summary get some advice about your circumstances cos if you get any Govt payments or even the private health rebate… this may affect it.

Reactions: catham8
Do you know if the port congestion is reducting, especially in Melbourne?
I OD an MY RWD white paint, with black interior and 19" wheels on 13th November. Still no update or VIN, except the false VIN given yesterday morning. I was put in the feb - may delivery period, but i don't see that happening, do you have any idea on when i might get my car delivered?

Do you know if the port congestion is reducting, especially in Melbourne?
I OD an MY RWD white paint, with black interior and 19" wheels on 13th November. Still no update or VIN, except the false VIN given yesterday morning. I was put in the feb - may delivery period, but i don't see that happening, do you have any idea on when i might get my car delivered?
If it helps, I have a similar order except I ordered 6 weeks before you (late September). I just got my VIN last week, and it didn't disappear like it did for a lot of people. EDD range of 4-25th of May.

Reactions: bean2006
If it helps, I have a similar order except I ordered 6 weeks before you (late September). I just got my VIN last week, and it didn't disappear like it did for a lot of people. EDD range of 4-25th of May.
wow, that's a long wait thank you for sharing this information, it helps to know where I am in the queue for deliveries. Did you also have the feb - May delivery period? and did you have the same configuration as mine?

wow, that's a long wait thank you for sharing this information, it helps to know where I am in the queue for deliveries. Did you also have the feb - May delivery period? and did you have the same configuration as mine?
I did have Feb-May for a long time, yep. Build date 3/4. And we're almost the same, I'm silver rather than white paint. Apparently the paint difference matters (although I can't see how or why).
My EDD was originally 30th April - 21st of May, but it got bumped back to 4th - 25th as I referred to earlier. It's never disappeared though, or reset to TDD, or back to Feb-May again, nor have I ever lost my VIN. That suggests to me that I must be pretty close, but who knows.

I did have Feb-May for a long time, yep. Build date 3/4. And we're almost the same, I'm silver rather than white paint. Apparently the paint difference matters (although I can't see how or why).
My EDD was originally 30th April - 21st of May, but it got bumped back to 4th - 25th as I referred to earlier. It's never disappeared though, or reset to TDD, or back to Feb-May again, nor have I ever lost my VIN. That suggests to me that I must be pretty close, but who knows.
Thanks for responding. I really appreciate it. The reason why paint difference is a factor in the EDD of the car is that Tesla makes their cars in batches and then tries to match the car to the owner. Even though it should be the other way around. They may alter the number of models y's are allocated to each paint colour.

Because you ordered a silver colour which is much less demand, hence you received you car quicker. A colour like white has a high demand because it is free, meaning the waiting time for a white model Y's is probably the longest compared to other colours. This is the same concept used for everything else even for long-range models and performance modes, wheel size, interior colour, etc...

I wish I knew this before I ordered the white model y I should've ordered another colour.

Thanks for responding. I really appreciate it. The reason why paint difference is a factor in the EDD of the car is that Tesla makes their cars in batches and then tries to match the car to the owner. Even though it should be the other way around. They may alter the number of models y's are allocated to each paint colour.

Because you ordered a silver colour which is much less demand, hence you received you car quicker. A colour like white has a high demand because it is free, meaning the waiting time for a white model Y's is probably the longest compared to other colours. This is the same concept used for everything else even for long-range models and performance modes, wheel size, interior colour, etc...

I wish I knew this before I ordered the white model y I should've ordered another colour.
Hi bean2006,
Interestingly, others have told me that my red car is likely to have been delayed because red is an uncommon colour. When looking at videos of the Shanghai docks, their is always a mix of colours waiting to load onto the ship. I still don't know whether colour and configuration really makes a difference or whether it is a more random process that determines the wait time.

• Informative
Reactions: bean2006
So… EDD range has disappeared, as has my vehicle in the account page (replaced with ‘reserve a car’). Hoping this means scheduling delivery is just around the corner 🤞

96EA084F-520C-4B96-A4EE-D8C0A0DA856F.png

With all the caveats about financial advice on the internet… I think you need to look into this further.
Your taxable income is reduced by the pre-tax payments to the leasing company.
HOWEVER your reportable fringe benefits amount is calculated based on what the taxable value of the car would have been if it’s not exempt. Which simplistically is 20% of the base value of the car. This is then further grossed up by a factor of 1.8ish. Eg car base value of $70k, taxable value $14k, reportable $26,415.

In summary get some advice about your circumstances cos if you get any Govt payments or even the private health rebate… this may affect it.
In this scenario, $26K would also be the rough annual lease payments that were deducted from pre-tax income, i.e. $2K per month. So (and yes there are a lot of caveats including what tax bracket you are in), the RFBA basically stands in for the pre-tax deductions when calculating Govt payments, child support etc.

Agree that anyone dealing with this stuff should get their own advice before diving right in. The purpose of me sharing here is to explain to people what the RFBA is designed to do per the legislation. It won't take away the income tax benefit you got from salary packaging but it is going to ensure you don't get an extra benefit on top in terms of extra ancillary govt payments or reduced child support coming from a lower taxable income.

I still don't know whether colour and configuration really makes a difference
As bean says, Tesla make cars in batches then try to match them to outstanding orders.

But they would have a rough idea of how popular each combination is so they would build eg 50% white, 20% blue, 15% grey, 10% red and 5% black.
Charts from Australia Model Y Orders

1683156831591.png
1683156847502.png
1683156864099.png

In a batch of 1000 cars you might be the 499th person waiting for a white and get it, or you could be the 201st person waiting for a blue and miss out.

At the end of the day it'll be a roll of the dice. Changing colours might get you the car sooner or you might miss out but you'll never know which.
Just order the car you really want and don't stress about it.

As bean says, Tesla make cars in batches then try to match them to outstanding orders.

But they would have a rough idea of how popular each combination is so they would build eg 50% white, 20% blue, 15% grey, 10% red and 5% black.
Charts from Australia Model Y Orders

View attachment 934340View attachment 934341View attachment 934342

In a batch of 1000 cars you might be the 499th person waiting for a white and get it, or you could be the 201st person waiting for a blue and miss out.

At the end of the day it'll be a roll of the dice. Changing colours might get you the car sooner or you might miss out but you'll never know which.
Just order the car you really want and don't stress about it.
Thanks for this information Zombie, Just as I read this I remembered the SA I spoke to mentioned this as well. He described changing colours in order to get the car quickly as a "gamble". He also couldn't tell us if changing colours would help us get ahead of the queue because he did not have access to that data. if anyone knows, why doesn't Tesla inform us of a rough estimate of where we are in the queue? But at the same time, they sort of do tell us, by giving us a really inaccurate estimate of delivery( I do understand that they cannot estimate delivery, due to port delays which they can't control)

Just got my “your delivery is approaching” text message. Does this mean that it’s actually off the boat and gone through customs? Or can there still be delays and I shouldn’t get too excited just yet?
I got the vin last week but couldn’t see it because I had a trade in pending. I cancelled it this morning as we sold privately, got the rego papers, invoice and vin.
Can’t see it in the RAV though. Spoke to my rep and he reckons mid May delivery.
App still says EDD May 9-30th.

Reactions: Elite Display