Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the email saying I have the invoice now and can do the payment, but I am not sure what is next or when should I make the payment? Can i make the payment now? or should I wait till the message to schedule the delivery?
Payment is meant to get finalised at least 48 hours before delivery. It can take 1-2 days for payment to be received. It is ok to pay in multiple smaller payments (if you are paying directly instead of via novated lease).

Be cautious of paying at this stage. I did and then Tesla pushed my delivery back repeatedly. They ended up holding my full payment for a couple of months, which adds up to a meaningful amount of interest. There may be less chance of that happening now that order wait times are much shorter, but it is important to remember that Tesla are not on your side and the things they say cannot be trusted.
No I wasn’t aware of this - what can I do if they didn’t?
You could ask them to put you back in the queue. You should be able to see the build date on your invoice, which will tell you whether you have the parcel shelf and boombox (you also might not be concerned about this).

You could ask them to put you back in the queue. You should be able to see the build date on your invoice, which will tell you whether you have the parcel shelf and boombox (you also might not be concerned about this).
If you have an early May build, you likely dont have these two things.

Whilst it may not be important to you, keep in mind the boombox is a current upgrade that costs a few hundred to retrofit to a car built at that time, and the parcel shelf from Tesla cant even be retrofitted from what Im told, plus you would have to buy that too even it it was possible to fit.

They will likely refuse to put you back in the queue just based on these facts alone, when they could easily drop the older built cars in "inventory" portal for people wanting something now without the wait.

Dodgy mofos, the lot of them.

Whilst it may not be important to you, keep in mind the boombox is a current upgrade that costs a few hundred to retrofit to a car built at that time, and the parcel shelf from Tesla cant even be retrofitted from what Im told, plus you would have to buy that too even it it was possible to fit.

They will likely refuse to put you back in the queue just based on these facts alone, when they could easily drop the older built cars in "inventory" portal for people wanting something now without the wait.

That's exactly what they did 😒

I don't think it is dodgy at all, why shouldn't they be clearing existing inventory if Tesla have a car in stock that meets the customer spec? PWS and the parcel shelf isn't even advertised or listed as items on the site or on our invoices. Just another example of feature changes that they do from time to time. If people were intent on getting the newer features they should discuss this with Tesla before ordering to see what they can do. The cars are constantly evolving so people ordering now may or may not miss out on certain features.

Saw a good saying on the Tesla Club of WA - The best time to buy a Tesla was yesterday, the next best time is today. Just enjoy the car and don't sweat the little details.

I don't think it is dodgy at all, why shouldn't they be clearing existing inventory if Tesla have a car in stock that meets the customer spec? PWS and the parcel shelf isn't even advertised or listed as items on the site or on our invoices. Just another example of feature changes that they do from time to time. If people were intent on getting the newer features they should discuss this with Tesla before ordering to see what they can do. The cars are constantly evolving so people ordering now may or may not miss out on certain features.

Saw a good saying on the Tesla Club of WA - The best time to buy a Tesla was yesterday, the next best time is today. Just enjoy the car and don't sweat the little details.
Its 1000% sly, sorry.

Applying an old ordered car with previous config to a new order, especially when there are fundamental changes in between those builds and there is a cost impact involved to get them to the same standard, is definitely dodgy.

In Mossdaddys example above, ordering a couple of weeks ago, he will now have to fork over a few hundred bucks and his time and effort for a shop visit to get the boom box feature, of no fault or decision of his own. An afternarket parcel shelf will now need to be purchased if he wanted one. That is not just a little detail like a say a silver "T" emblem vs a black "T" emblem for example.

The appropriate thing for Tesla to do is give customers the option to get the car earlier if they dont care about the feature changes, or remain in queue according to their original order date and EDD if they do care. They have a bloody inventory portal for things like this. Taking the option out of customers hands and offloading inferior cars (albiet minor) they have been stuck with from a previous order is wrong.

And how many people ordering nearly 3 months after a May build and getting an EDD into the future, are going to think "gee, maybe tesla still has random cars not showing in their inventory portal from 3 months ago. I better ring them up before placing my order and make sure they don't randomly stick me with a car that appears to not exist".

Come on, that's not practical or reasonable.

Last edited:
Reactions: MossDaddy
Hi friends - just discovered this group through a friend, super grateful as the wait is gonna kill me I think. I ordered a blue MYLR on 22/7 to come to Canberra - no VIN yet and generic dates "July-Sept". I was reading back through the most recent posts, but not too many folks commenting getting the long range models - for those of you who have, are the waiting times longer? Anyone recently get a VIN for an LR and when did you order? And I saw some stuff about particular shipping companies taking them to particular cities, some trackable and some not - any other folks from Canberra get their car recently? Many thanks and fingers crossed!

Reactions: MossDaddy
Hi friends - just discovered this group through a friend, super grateful as the wait is gonna kill me I think. I ordered a blue MYLR on 22/7 to come to Canberra - no VIN yet and generic dates "July-Sept". I was reading back through the most recent posts, but not too many folks commenting getting the long range models - for those of you who have, are the waiting times longer? Anyone recently get a VIN for an LR and when did you order? And I saw some stuff about particular shipping companies taking them to particular cities, some trackable and some not - any other folks from Canberra get their car recently? Many thanks and fingers crossed!
From what ive read of others, add +1 month for Shanghai made cars to your expected date. What makes it hard is when they say Time X and it isnt then people get worried/upset. I ordered end of June. EDD Sept 6-23 as per the others around that time. The other issue is there is a period of silence, its super exciting to order the car, but there is a period once u order that nothing happens other than just having to wait, that was around 6 weeks for me, last few days im just getting bombarded in emails, texts on and on.
Patience and it will come. Im sure Elon wants your money!

For those with patience issues (like me), ship tracker: Tesla Ship Tracker. No idea how correct/accurate it is in terms of whether those are carrying Teslas or other cars. Interesting anyway.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230815_101536_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20230815_101536_Firefox.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 251
See my signature for details of my LR order. Ship arrives in Perth 18th of August so would expect to get delivery appointment booking a few days after that, with delivery 1 to 3 weeks after ship docks.

Sorry not sure how cars get to Canberra, assume via Melbourne/Sydney so may be worth researching that to get an idea of next ship.

Do you have any outstanding tasks like trade in offer or selecting payment option? That can hold up VIN allocation. My VIN appeared once I rejected a trade in offer.

Its 1000% sly, sorry.

Applying an old ordered car with previous config to a new order, especially when there are fundamental changes in between those builds and there is a cost impact involved to get them to the same standard, is definitely dodgy.

In Mossdaddys example above, ordering a couple of weeks ago, he will now have to fork over a few hundred bucks and his time and effort for a shop visit to get the boom box feature, of no fault or decision of his own. An afternarket parcel shelf will now need to be purchased if he wanted one. That is not just a little detail like a say a silver "T" emblem vs a black "T" emblem for example.

The appropriate thing for Tesla to do is give customers the option to get the car earlier if they dont care about the feature changes, or remain in queue according to their original order date and EDD if they do care. They have a bloody inventory portal for things like this. Taking the option out of customers hands and offloading inferior cars (albiet minor) they have been stuck with from a previous order is wrong.

And how many people ordering nearly 3 months after a May build and getting an EDD into the future, are going to think "gee, maybe tesla still has random cars not showing in their inventory portal from 3 months ago. I better ring them up before placing my order and make sure they don't randomly stick me with a car that appears to not exist".

Come on, that's not practical or reasonable.
We can agree to disagree. Tesla are constantly changing features. When I ordered my 3 all the chat was about matrix headlights, ultra sonic or video sensors and the inclusion of a UMC. Types of floormats have changed too. Current talk is the updated hardware for FSD, possible ventilated seats, highland updates....it never ends.

The key specs when you order have not changed, the minor unadvertised features may depending on what stock they have, what cars are on ships and what the factory is doing.

If those features are so important speak to Tesla about changing the order and weigh up the value vs getting your car earlier.
Three tanks of petrol probably pays for the boombox.

For what it is worth I hope Tesla come up with a way to permanently turn off boombox as I don't particularly want it on my Y. This is a common request online. Lots of YouTube videos on how to disconnect it too.

See my signature for details of my LR order. Ship arrives in Perth 18th of August so would expect to get delivery appointment booking a few days after that, with delivery 1 to 3 weeks after ship docks.

Sorry not sure how cars get to Canberra, assume via Melbourne/Sydney so may be worth researching that to get an idea of next ship.

Do you have any outstanding tasks like trade in offer or selecting payment option? That can hold up VIN allocation. My VIN appeared once I rejected a trade in offer.
Which boat are you expecting this to be?

Ordered 28/7 - got my YLR on 11.8 - PLEASE CHECK build date is post May so you get boom box + parcel shelf cover + comfort suspension.