Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered mine on the 11-Jun Model Y standard - Metalic Silver and I have been advised that the car will be ready for pickup in the last week of Sept. Surprised to be honest, given Tesla originally forecast it to be delivered by Nov 2022 to Feb 2022.

I am scrambling for finance and selling of my beloved CX5.

Anways, any suugestion on where i can get ceramic coating and PPF prebooked at reasonable rates.

I ordered mine on the 11-Jun Model Y standard - Metalic Silver and I have been advised that the car will be ready for pickup in the last week of Sept. Surprised to be honest, given Tesla originally forecast it to be delivered by Nov 2022 to Feb 2022.

I am scrambling for finance and selling of my beloved CX5.

Anways, any suugestion on where i can get ceramic coating and PPF prebooked at reasonable rates.
Just a honest question, have you done ceramic coating and PPF on your CX5?
And what is reasonable to someone could be super expensive, from what I see people here think 2k for PPF alone Is reasonable but I see as unnecessary expense specially if car is never parked outside and washed regularly

Just a honest question, have you done ceramic coating and PPF on your CX5?
And what is reasonable to someone could be super expensive, from what I see people here think 2k for PPF alone Is reasonable but I see as unnecessary expense specially if car is never parked outside and washed regularly
Ceramic is worth it if you take care of your car. If you don't, it will fail earlier than it should. Ok a standard model, is PPF worth it? It's about ten percent of the value of a standard model y. Realistically, ppf of you don't take care of the car will last longer but is it worth it if you are not keeping the car for a long time? 7k is alot on a 70k car. A diy ceramic, eg there meguiars one that you do that last a year and performs really well, may be more viable.

If you are going to get a detail, let's do it. Get a reputable detailer who is certified so you know the coating is actually being put on properly because then you must have put yourself if it's just some random guy or a dealer

Ceramic is worth it if you take care of your car. If you don't, it will fail earlier than it should. Ok a standard model, is PPF worth it? It's about ten percent of the value of a standard model y. Realistically, ppf of you don't take care of the car will last longer but is it worth it if you are not keeping the car for a long time? 7k is alot on a 70k car. A diy ceramic, eg there meguiars one that you do that last a year and performs really well, may be more viable.

If you are going to get a detail, let's do it. Get a reputable detailer who is certified so you know the coating is actually being put on properly because then you must have put yourself if it's just some random guy or a dealer
Exactly, in my opinion PPF is super expensive for what it does on a normal production car. It only make sense for classic cars where paint technology was not as good so to preserve original colour or for limited edition sports cars that are status symbols.
You can pretty much get car repainted or get vinyl wrap for cheaper if you keep the car for over 10yrs and see colour degradation but I highly doubt there would be.

Roof is the only places I mostly saw discolouration on older cars, but Tesla has glass roof , so basically even if car is Parked in sun all the time risk of paint peeling is really low

And for scratches and chips , you may still need to visit detailer to get it fixed even after applying and I think it would cost on par with fixing paint scratch

Reactions: lS3toM3
Exactly, in my opinion PPF is super expensive for what it does on a normal production car. It only make sense for classic cars where paint technology was not as good so to preserve original colour or for limited edition sports cars that are status symbols.
You can pretty much get car repainted or get vinyl wrap for cheaper if you keep the car for over 10yrs and see colour degradation but I highly doubt there would be.

Roof is the only places I mostly saw discolouration on older cars, but Tesla has glass roof , so basically even if car is Parked in sun all the time risk of paint peeling is really low

And for scratches and chips , you may still need to visit detailer to get it fixed even after applying and I think it would cost on par with fixing paint scratch
There are no old school car bra for the Tesla so I may buy a diy bumper kit but even than, it's a white car.

I got myself a diy kit for the front. Driving a fair bit on unsealed roads, so stone chips are a concern. Also got two rear ppf pieces for where the car bows out, as well as mudflaps to prevent stones from being kicked up.

Not going to bother with ceramic. Will give the car a spray of Bowden's Happy Ending once in a while, otherwise I'm not too fussed about it.

I got myself a diy kit for the front. Driving a fair bit on unsealed roads, so stone chips are a concern. Also got two rear ppf pieces for where the car bows out, as well as mudflaps to prevent stones from being kicked up.

Not going to bother with ceramic. Will give the car a spray of Bowden's Happy Ending once in a while, otherwise I'm not too fussed about it.

Definitely mud flaps. And a good ceramic to do at home. Shanghai paint appears alot better than the USA ones. From the handful I have detailed

Reactions: skyworxx
Just went to carsales.com.au and I see people trying to flip their Model Y's for around $85k, for a quick $5k profit (base RWD white colour with black interior, Gemini wheels). What does everyone think of this? No different to scalpers reselling sought after tickets to a convert, I suppose. (I dislike scalpers)

Actually, the early buyers
Just went to carsales.com.au and I see people trying to flip their Model Y's for around $85k, for a quick $5k profit (base RWD white colour with black interior, Gemini wheels). What does everyone think of this? No different to scalpers reselling sought after tickets to a convert, I suppose. (I dislike scalpers)
Actually, for the early buyers (in NSW), the base white Model Y with black interior and Gemini wheels would have costed just under $72k (with the stamp duty rebated), so that would make the quick profit to be $12k.

Reactions: pts260 and lS3toM3
Just went to carsales.com.au and I see people trying to flip their Model Y's for around $85k, for a quick $5k profit (base RWD white colour with black interior, Gemini wheels). What does everyone think of this?

I think we shouldn’t judge. A very small number of people might have bought their Model Y with the express intent of flipping at a profit. A risky business but lawful. A small number of people might have bought with the intention to hold on to it, but with EV wait times blowing out, have been opportunistic and think if they can sell at a profit why not.

And then some people might have simply changed their minds for whatever reason, or had a serious or tragic change in their life circumstances and need to sell.

Hence the not leaping to judgment.