Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was quoted around 9%, but they won't give me a final number until the delivery date / final invoice is ready. I guess this is due to interest rates rising constantly. Nice to here they were put on hold today. ;-)
It also can be meaningless. Generally speaking with EVs if you can get out of FBT you're ahead of those paying cash as the rate isn't enough do do any damage.

ICE - Cash > Novated > Carloan
EV - Novated > Cash > Carloan

That said you could be unemployed or work for minimum wage and the maths doesn't work out.

Anyone ever had any luck changing between models?

Now that M3LR comes under novated lease FBT cap I want to swap the Y for a 3. To lose $350 deposit is nothing in the grand scheme of things but it's the principle ✊🏼
You may be able to change if you ring the sales line without losing your deposit or original order date. I'm sure I remember some people swapped M3 orders for MY orders when the Y was released (have a look in the M3 waiting room thread about June 10 last year). I have found them very reasonable and very helpful to deal with.

EDIT: went back to M3 waiting room, page 300-301 on ipad, and it seems M3 orders could not be changed to MY orders without losing deposit. see post change M3 to MY?

Last edited:
Reactions: brend0s
think real world range difference is less than 80K as one battery charged to 80% the other 100%.
No, you have to compare same % with %. With both battery chemistries there are times when you need 100%

As I mentioned before the 100% recommendation for LFP is (IMO) so the battery management can more accurately predict range but I'm not sure that repeated 100% is actually good for any lithium battery whatever the chemistry

Look at it this way:
My average use case is about 50km/day. I can easily leave the max charge state at 50-60%. When battery use is between 30-60%, the calculated range will be less accurate if an MYRWD LFP battery is in play. The MYLR (assuming it is not LFP) will be give a more accurate range when the charge state is in the range of 30-60%.

The other way to look at it is that LFP batteries require more frequent charging to 100% than the LR batteries to maintain accurate range calculation by the BMS

Last edited:
Reactions: cafz
It also can be meaningless. Generally speaking with EVs if you can get out of FBT you're ahead of those paying cash as the rate isn't enough do do any damage.

ICE - Cash > Novated > Carloan
EV - Novated > Cash > Carloan

That said you could be unemployed or work for minimum wage and the maths doesn't work out.
if you want to unlock FBT you have to go with novated leasing

Reactions: brend0s and Quickst
Help Wanted!!!
It's very tempting to move from a SR Model Y to a Long Range. But the 13K price hike seems a bit high.

For the 13K you get different battery chemistry and longer range battery, plus an extra motor up the front.
I think real world range difference is less than 80K as one battery charged to 80% the other 100%.
All wheel drive, and slightly faster 0-100 sounds tempting. But still sitting on the fence...Are there any advantages to the LR I am missing? I guess charging speed is a bit quicker with the battery chemistry? Seeking folks thoughts as whether to go one way or the other??
The car will be novated leased over 3 year period. So other consideration would be resale value, / or usefulness of the car if I keep it for say 10 years.
Based on this article from drive.com.au, there is also an addition of front LED fog lights. Does it mean that the RWD does not come with those?

Based on this article from drive.com.au, there is also an addition of front LED fog lights. Does it mean that the RWD does not come with those?
You can compare the exterior differences switching among models on the Tesla Model Y page. There is no fog light on RWD. And I can tell, at the time and brightness there are rare vehicles that automatically turned on their headlights, your RWD's headlights are already on.

If your car is delivered after July 1 there will be a new LCT threshold...

Have 2024FY LCT thresholds been officially confirmed, or is this speculation?
I noticed it's been climbing each year for the last 3 years, but was stagnant for 4 years before that. So in my mind I couldn't assume there would be a 24FY bump...