Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Ron,
The description in the Minister's media release mentions that businesses can claim up to 5 times per year. The eligibility announcements will be firmed up in the near future, but I think it is safe to say that businesses are eligible. No MY is cheap enough at the moment, but it is SO close!
Thanks Jon, from what I’ve read it needs to be under $68k so the model 3 would be eligible but not the Y! Yeah I’m in SA, the cut off here is $68,750 so was wondering if you’ve worked out a way that I could use here ;)

Hi Ron,
The description in the Minister's media release mentions that businesses can claim up to 5 times per year. The eligibility announcements will be firmed up in the near future, but I think it is safe to say that businesses are eligible. No MY is cheap enough at the moment, but it is SO close!
I have also bought it through Business.

Got hidden VIN today. EDD changed to TBD.
Model Y RWD Blue on Black.. Gemini wheels.
Ordered 28th Oct...Brisbane.

How's the car generally mate? Mines still in transit to NQ.
Ordered and received a UMC after seeing the dates for its discontinuance on here. We missed out by about 10 or 11 days by memory.
Full Bore, good that you are finally getting your car. When it comes, would you mind commenting on the delivery experience, since I am also in NQ?

For anyone who has received their car, would you mind telling me how well you can see the night sky through the roof? The recent rebate announcement for Qld has us thinking about switching to a model 3 (yep, after 6 months of waiting!), and being able to use camp mode in the bigger car is one reason in favour of the Y.

I have also bought it through Business.

Got hidden VIN today. EDD changed to TBD.
Model Y RWD Blue on Black.. Gemini wheels.
Ordered 28th Oct...Brisbane.
I tried to look for vin through source code, but nothing available. It looks like it’s hidden till it’s not assigned and the moment it’s assigned it will be communicated could be a delay of a day max what I feel. Any thoughts please

For most, that just do everyday running around (to work, shops etc), the charge to 80-90% daily is irrelevant. You can charge to 100% as long as you don't leave it there for too long; so for road trips, where extra range is important, it gives you an extra 80km. Then add the safety factor of all wheel drive plus the quicker acceleration and the price difference doesn't seem too bad to me.

There is zero safety benefit to AWD, it just means more traction under hard acceleration. The traction control on EVs are so good it doesn't matter. I've done plenty of testing, stomping the accelerator on a wet greasy road in the RWD has a nice soft kick in of traction control.

Reactions: Ryan07
Got a message yesterday saying that my car is ready shortly and to get my finances sorted. Can see a VIN on the registration paperwork they sent me.
However EDD is still TBD
Tesla Y RWD Gemini Rims, White on White in Sydney. Ordered on 31st of December 2022.

RWD/Black/Black/Gemini/21 Jan/SA

Got the hidden VIN on Tuesday and the delivery date has changed to 30 Apr - 21 May.

No rego details yet! 😣

There is zero safety benefit to AWD, it just means more traction under hard acceleration. The traction control on EVs are so good it doesn't matter. I've done plenty of testing, stomping the accelerator on a wet greasy road in the RWD has a nice soft kick in of traction control.
Anecdotal evidence but interesting theory, I drove our son's WRX for 8 months and I'd argue that.

Reactions: houdini
Got a RWD standard white telsa VIN assigned today, by email. Dec date I did the deposit.

I am going to buy, depreciate it, claim back GST and sell it in NSW. Sydney area.

Just dont need the car, got a few already, anyone else doing this? will I be able to sell? i am thinking a sale price around 60-62K with < 500km on the clock will be ok. MY23 of course. ...

I checked on carsales.com.au and there are 30 adverts..but they are all people at 70K and the adverts have been there for 6 months etc. So really there are no active sellers..

• Funny
Reactions: grizzlybear
Anecdotal evidence but interesting theory, I drove our son's WRX for 8 months and I'd argue that.

There is a definite confusion between more traction and safety here. I already said in a modern EV that the safety benefit between AWD and RWD was zero. I didn't say in a high powered AWD ICE car vs a high powered RWD ICE car there were not benefits to AWD, but even then, driven in a safe manner, the "safety" of AWD vs RWD are minimal when the RWD car is fitted with traction control.

All emergency situations, you are either swerving or braking, both of which AWD, (all other variables being equal) will have no influence on safety.

Got a RWD standard white telsa VIN assigned today, by email. Dec date I did the deposit.

I am going to buy, depreciate it, claim back GST and sell it in NSW. Sydney area.

Just dont need the car, got a few already, anyone else doing this? will I be able to sell? i am thinking a sale price around 60-62K with < 500km on the clock will be ok. MY23 of course. ...

I checked on carsales.com.au and there are 30 adverts..but they are all people at 70K and the adverts have been there for 6 months etc. So really there are no active sellers..
Are you sure that's how the GST works? My understanding is that a business has to be registered for GST in order to claim it back, which means it has to include GST when you sell it. That said, if you wanted to sell for $62K to someone in Queensland this financial year, I know someone who would look pretty hard at the deal!

How's the car generally mate? Mines still in transit to NQ.
Ordered and received a UMC after seeing the dates for its discontinuance on here. We missed out by about 10 or 11 days by memory.
Really good! I absolutely love driving it.

The controls take a little while to get used to, especially the control stalk and one pedal driving, but the learning curve is worth it.

I'm a bit bummed we missed out on a UMC by less than 2 weeks, but I was fortunate enough to borrow one from a M3LR owner for a few months. It's surprisingly capable for daily use. If you have a DC fast charger nearby for the occasional long drives you probably won't need a wall connector.

Anyone took delivery recently can comment on whether the the Model Y still has the Ultrasonic parking sensors?

I picked up our MY RWD 3 days ago. Build date was 9th March. It definitely has ultrasonic parking sensors.

Tesla Tom also found the same thing on his new MY.

Reactions: Full Bore
Got a message yesterday saying that my car is ready shortly and to get my finances sorted. Can see a VIN on the registration paperwork they sent me.
However EDD is still TBD
Tesla Y RWD Gemini Rims, White on White in Sydney. Ordered on 31st of December 2022.
Congrats! Same config here in Melbourne ordered on 6/1/23. May have to wait another couple of months given the current delays in Port Melbourne.