Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Viking Passama... now a week behind schedule. Hasn't docked in Brisbane yet but should see some movement soon.
- Paganella is waiting to doc in Brisbane. Should be today (24/04) according to Public Pages
- Morning Crystal is due to arrive in Brisbane on 29/04
Port of Brisbane is going to be very busy. Palmera is expected to anachor at Pt Cartwright around 27 April, although Molace are forecasting it to dock on 28 April. Palmera has picked up Teslas that were dropped at Singapore and has since docked at Perth and Adelaide.

My RWD model Y ordered on 11 July is finally getting closer! Would be appreciated if they could drop it off on the Sunshine Coast while it’s at Pt Cartwright :)

Congratulations. You've waited long enough. Isn't there a ship arriving basically now in Brisbane? Maybe they were behind in allocating cars? Or maybe you are right and it's a cancellation.
Thanks! I searched the RAV database with my hidden VIN - it was entered on the 3rd of April with a build date of March 2023. Most definitely a cancellation.

Does anybody remember what the cutoff date was for UMC being included in the vehicle? It would be a nice bonus if one came with the car given the earlier build date

Reactions: JonDarian
Thanks! I searched the RAV database with my hidden VIN - it was entered on the 3rd of April with a build date of March 2023. Most definitely a cancellation.

Does anybody remember what the cutoff date was for UMC being included in the vehicle? It would be a nice bonus if one came with the car given the earlier build date
No UMC included for builds after February, sorry.

Any idea how many cars it will have and what’s the last Melbourne order delivered. Can we assume it will be able to fulfil the orders upuntil Feb 2023 or March 2023
Very unlikely. There are still many people who ordered between September-January (Feb-May window) waiting for cars. Can't see April-June window orders getting theirs before June.

Reactions: grizzlybear
There is a definite confusion between more traction and safety here. I already said in a modern EV that the safety benefit between AWD and RWD was zero. I didn't say in a high powered AWD ICE car vs a high powered RWD ICE car there were not benefits to AWD, but even then, driven in a safe manner, the "safety" of AWD vs RWD are minimal when the RWD car is fitted with traction control.

All emergency situations, you are either swerving or braking, both of which AWD, (all other variables being equal) will have no influence on safety.
Has anyone taken the MY RWD to the snow? Wondering if the regen braking when going down hill is an issue or not - eg if the driver lifts off the throttle when it's icy around a corner? Would the car limit the amount of regen braking if it detects loss of traction during lift off regen braking?

That looks awesome. How much was it to get this done?

I think people are misunderstanding that it can't be charged to 100%.
It definitely can be, it should just be used straight away so you will still get the longer range. Just don't do it all the time and keep it at 100%

What Power Hungry said ^ is spot on.

Haven't done a shipping update for awhile. Will get onto it soon.
so you think 80km extra range that for the average punter is never required and part time awd (sorry, I call BS on the ‘safety’ factor) truly justifies the extra spend? Furiously disagree. the Spread of chargers likely means you’ll have to top up as frequently as most ev drivers. 80kms extra range is not compelling IMHO. But each to their own.

and I don’t think I misunderstand the battery charge Re100% charging. My point Is most people won’t be in a position to truly take advantage of the extra range or charge to 100% and use immediately like you state without adversely causing battery degradation.

But hey, you can accelerate 2 seconds faster wooooo.

so you think 80km extra range that for the average punter is never required and part time awd (sorry, I call BS on the ‘safety’ factor) truly justifies the extra spend? Furiously disagree. the Spread of chargers likely means you’ll have to top up as frequently as most ev drivers. 80kms extra range is not compelling IMHO. But each to their own.

and I don’t think I misunderstand the battery charge Re100% charging. My point Is most people won’t be in a position to truly take advantage of the extra range or charge to 100% and use immediately like you state without adversely causing battery degradation.

But hey, you can accelerate 2 seconds faster wooooo.
I reckon you are going a bit hard here, Ryan. The best thing you said was "each to their own". There's no need for you to furiously disagree, you can just disagree and make your own decision. In some places like regional Queensland, that extra 80km range can actually open up more routes (from memory, a MY RWD won't get from Charters Towers to Emerald, but a MYLR might). It might also be the difference between getting somewhere and home again without charging en route, saving time.

For most people, long range travel won't be a spontaneous decision and they'll have time to charge to 100%, meaning that they do get the benefit of the extra range when it matters the most.

And while MYRWD accelerates nicely, the extra acceleration (at all speeds, not just from zero) of MYLR is fun and allows faster overtaking.

I understand your point about AWD, but gently disagree. It doesn't help you brake or turn, but it does give more capability on slippery surfaces. That might lead some people to drive faster than they should on slippery surfaces, but that is the fault of the driver, not the car. That said, really good tyres are more important than AWD.
Anecdote: my wife once pulled onto a road shoulder on our front-wheel drive station wagon. She had failed to recognise the dry crust over soft mud, so broke through and became stuck. With her two driving wheels unable to gain traction, her options were limited. In an AWD, she would have been fine.

After considering all of the factors, my expected usage and financial priorities, I stayed with the MYRWD. It sounds like you did the same. I reckon I might feel differently if it had a range similar to the M3LR. However, since there are many factors to the decision, I'm not going to tell a MYLR that they are wrong, let alone mock their decision.

I reckon you are going a bit hard here, Ryan. The best thing you said was "each to their own". There's no need for you to furiously disagree, you can just disagree and make your own decision. In some places like regional Queensland, that extra 80km range can actually open up more routes (from memory, a MY RWD won't get from Charters Towers to Emerald, but a MYLR might). It might also be the difference between getting somewhere and home again without charging en route, saving time.

For most people, long range travel won't be a spontaneous decision and they'll have time to charge to 100%, meaning that they do get the benefit of the extra range when it matters the most.

And while MYRWD accelerates nicely, the extra acceleration (at all speeds, not just from zero) of MYLR is fun and allows faster overtaking.

I understand your point about AWD, but gently disagree. It doesn't help you brake or turn, but it does give more capability on slippery surfaces. That might lead some people to drive faster than they should on slippery surfaces, but that is the fault of the driver, not the car. That said, really good tyres are more important than AWD.
Anecdote: my wife once pulled onto a road shoulder on our front-wheel drive station wagon. She had failed to recognise the dry crust over soft mud, so broke through and became stuck. With her two driving wheels unable to gain traction, her options were limited. In an AWD, she would have been fine.

After considering all of the factors, my expected usage and financial priorities, I stayed with the MYRWD. It sounds like you did the same. I reckon I might feel differently if it had a range similar to the M3LR. However, since there are many factors to the decision, I'm not going to tell a MYLR that they are wrong, let alone mock their decision.
I changed from AWD to LR and I'm completely happy with my decision. I'm surprised there are so many here that are giving LR buyers a hard time. I don't give a toss what anyone says, I reckon the LR is the 'sweet spot' of the Y range.

Just took delivery of my new Model Y on last Saturday and wondering if you guys could provide some guidance.
A few issues that I noted.

1) Panel gaps - i presume panel gaps are normal for Tesla... even if i noticed a few, I guess i cannot complain too much.

2) Driver side wireless charging not working properly - raised this issue when picking up the car as it wasnt working at all. SA came and put his phone on the charger and somehow it worked so he dismissed my claim saying that it could be the phone case issue.
Now i tried 3 different iPhones at home still not charging...! Anyone experienced similar issue?

3) There is paint chip which i did not discover on the delivery day as it was hidden under the charge port.
Raised a service request but i am not sure if they will cover it as i was driving a couple of days after delivery.
Anyone discovered paint chip after the delivery? If so, did Tesla fix it for you free of charge?

4) Wood trim - side wood trims feel absolutely fine - but the front wood trim has some grains that is really rough and i can feel it with my fingers.
It isnt such a big issue - anyone think i should raise a service request for this?
Also front wood trim on the left hand side is higher than that of right hand side... not sure if this can be fixed?

I really love the car, but so far quite disappointed by the service experience.
SA tried to walk me out by dismissing all my claims saying that these are normal at delivery.
Frustrating as the Bluetooth was keep disconnecting as well - my SA came and saw Bluetooth was connected and he said it is working and walked away.
Sat down for 10 mins to replicate it and took video which clearly shows it was disconnecting and reconnecting.
Spoke to another agent on site - he came in to reset both the car and my phone and after spending 10 minutes it was working properly. so clearly there was issue...

I was prepared to take my time to look at everything but feel like kind of shooed away by the agent on that day and noticing more and more cosmetic issues... annoyed as the car itself is excellent to drive.

Hello. May I ask whether the suspension is different than the one you may have test driven before purchasing the car? I am wondering whether cars delivered now are the ones from Shanghai with the comfort suspension.

I agree. Some are still waiting from last August and many from Sept to Jan and Ho is part of the Feb to May waiting list.
Do we have anyone who had EDD in Jan-Mar or Feb-April and have not got VIN or delivery delayed. If not we can be hopeful until we get our EDD window changed. also what I heard is Tesla has a tendency to delivery only in the last month of the quarter.

also what I heard is Tesla has a tendency to delivery only in the last month of the quarter.
Tesla like any other manufacturer likes to rush the deliveries at the end of quarter to meet the targets. It’s standard and hence you see frequent incentives in the US with quick turnaround times.

I’m not sure if the current order statuses though. However, I do see a lot more posts online of vin assignment for orders from Jan and even Feb in a few states, certain configurations.

I think your example of regional QLD is clutching at straws. The issue isn’t range on the car. The issue is access to chargers. When more chargers (and fast chargers) become available… the extra range of 80 measly kms is pretty redundant. Think those folks are more likely to be sticking with traditional ICE vehicles until then.

BTW - not sure if AWD is much of an argument either. Ask the guy who thought their AWD X would allow him to go for a drive on the beach recently.

Glad you could agree with one of my statements re: each to their own. Sorry to any sensitive LR folk, or sensitive folk in general.

Sorry to any sensitive LR folk, or sensitive folk in general.
It’s not about being sensitive. It’s about being respectful. You can get your point across in an argument without attacking the person.

This is a community forum built. No one is asking anyone to be here but we volunteer our time to help others and ourselves.

Being respectful goes a long way.