Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What would be the purpose of launch control in an EV anyway? It’s not as if the motors have to rev up to provide instant response or peak power? And even if they did need to do that, it wouldn’t be possible because the motors are directly connected to the wheels, there’s no clutch or torque converter

What would be the purpose of launch control in an EV anyway? It’s not as if the motors have to rev up to provide instant response or peak power? And even if they did need to do that, it wouldn’t be possible because the motors are directly connected to the wheels, there’s no clutch or torque converter
Both S and X have launch control. The electric motors, even on the Performance models, aren't programmed to deliver maximum torque from zero RPM. Launch control, amongst other things, gives a more aggressive torque curve and changes the traction control to allow some slippage.

Reactions: Lateapex
Got a vin Assigned. Melbourne MY RWD.. Del window shows May 9 to May 30. Any idea which ship? :)

Quite possibly the Turandot arriving 9th May from Shanghai. When you get your final invoice, check your build date. Turandot left Shanghai on the 24th April.

The ships are unloaded ASAP. Cars do not just sit on them. One of the reasons for delays in docking is to ensure the port has the capacity for the ship to unload. After that it depends on available parking next to the port, whether quarantine cleaning is required and what the supply of transporters to move them to distribution centres it.
A bad example is my car in Sydney. Arrived at Port Kembla late March, I won't see it until May 4th - ~6 weeks sitting in Autonexus car lot behind the huge load of Teslas from the ship before them.
It is chaotic in our ports at the moment and most of not all of it is totally out of Tesla's control. :(

Thanks for clarifying. All seems a bit of a mess to be honest. At least your wait is almost over! Counting down the days.

HI everyone. When your Model Ys arrive, can you share your thoughts on the suspension and ride? Tesla has not officially confirmed that the new Model Ys out of Shanghai have comfort suspension for the export models (they started fitting the comfort suspension from January 2023 at the factory). I am debating to order after I hear this or will order beforehand if I know the suspension is more compliant. It is by far and away my biggest concern.

(I know the performance model has the new suspension in Australia but haven't heard for the other 2 models)

HI everyone. When your Model Ys arrive, can you share your thoughts on the suspension and ride? ........

(I know the performance model has the new suspension in Australia but haven't heard for the other 2 models)
Everyone,

Just got a call from my SA who is usually pretty chill and honest. Build date is April. All builds after Feb won’t come with UMC but he said he is happy to get me a $550 voucher that I can redeem for a UMC in the Tesla store. He also confirmed model Ys RWD after March does indeed have the new comfort suspension.

At the moment it is still looking at delivery between May 9-30th.
Trade in team should contact me by Tuesday with the valuation which I can accept or decline and the final invoice will be based on that.

Hope this information helps others in here.
Hi gubes,
I haven't got my car yet, but have read repeatedly (including grizzlybear's post yesterday) that MYRWD for Australia (and therefore out of Shanghai) has comfort suspension. It seems likely that Hong Kong is receiving the same, but only Tesla could confirm that for you. I don't know when you did your test drive. If it was recent, you may already have tried the new suspension.

Hi gubes,
I haven't got my car yet, but have read repeatedly (including grizzlybear's post yesterday) that MYRWD for Australia (and therefore out of Shanghai) has comfort suspension. It seems likely that Hong Kong is receiving the same, but only Tesla could confirm that for you. I don't know when you did your test drive. If it was recent, you may already have tried the new suspension.
I test drove one a few weeks ago but it was a 2022 build and the ride was too firm for my taste. I spoke with them and they cannot confirm the comfort suspension.

I test drove one a few weeks ago but it was a 2022 build and the ride was too firm for my taste. I spoke with them and they cannot confirm the comfort suspension.
Unfortunately, Tesla being unable to tell you just what features your car will have/actually has seems to be a common problem. It will likely be another month or so before I can tell you what mine is like, but even that may not help you in Hong Kong.

8B459AF4-BC7C-44E5-A39F-7E5B932525FC.png
Long range available in inventory for QLD