Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
for all the ones buying the car with novated leasing. do you get charged for luxury tax? it's not a big amount (fortnightly),but I thought it should't be there. I called my leasing company they said it's something to do with ATO ruling.
The other thing is they can only claim GST up to $5,855.55 which is less than the GST amount on the final invoice from Tesla.

Have you experienced the same?

View attachment 938761
My upfront GST saving is 5885.55, I assume yours is just a typo? Otherwise, I'd be concerned. And yes, there is a also a luxury car depreciation allowance provisioned, which is $18.26, which the leasing consultant said is a must have according to the regislation and sent me some text which I didn't bother reading

Reactions: XLBo
Out of interest --> anyone else here with their car still stuck at Port Kembla (from the Morning Cherry that was fully unloaded and departed on the 4th of May back to Shanghai) with delivery to Port Melbourne?

Seems like some of us are kind of first in, last out

My upfront GST saving is 5885.55, I assume yours is just a typo? Otherwise, I'd be concerned. And yes, there is a also a luxury car depreciation allowance provisioned, which is $18.26, which the leasing consultant said is a must have according to the regislation and sent me some text which I didn't bother reading
it's a typo. Thanks for your clarification.

for all the ones buying the car with novated leasing. do you get charged for luxury tax? it's not a big amount (fortnightly),but I thought it should't be there. I called my leasing company they said it's something to do with ATO ruling.
The other thing is they can only claim GST up to $5,855.55 which is less than the GST amount on the final invoice from Tesla.

Have you experienced the same?

View attachment 938761
I am with the SG fleet. I got a $36 Luxury Levy for 3 years. Tesla Model Y with MSM color and 19" wheel.
I spoke to them and they told me that the GST can be claimed up to a car value of $64,741.
Also, they sent me the ATO link to understand.

I am not sure about other Novated Lease.

how about your GST amount? claimed in full? Luxury Lease impact - 67.05 / month seems a lot. if you 67.05 x 12 x (number of years)

Input Tax credit 5886 (This is for GST claiming I believe)
Luxury Lease Impact Costs 67.05 / Month..
When I checked back then, they mentioned this as per ATO guide lines. Dont know its a true statement.
I am with Lease Plan belongs to SG fleet

Which is yours?

Input Tax credit 5886 (This is for GST claiming I believe)
Luxury Lease Impact Costs 67.05 / Month..
When I checked back then, they mentioned this as per ATO guide lines. Dont know its a true statement.
I am with Lease Plan belongs to SG fleet

Which is yours?
the luxury car payment is a tax thing based on the car cost exceeding the depreciation car cost limit (which is different to the luxury car tax limits and completely separate). This limit also restricts the amount of the GST charged that you can claim back l, hence why it isn’t 1/11th of the purchase price.

Reactions: RM2023 and XLBo
I was strongly encourage to use theirs for the first year as it covers the full payout of the loan and then look to swap to a different insurance company the next year... I did note it was like an extra $1k more but came with some added things like no excess for windscreenn and it's pre-tax so that's nice..
I didnt know about the full payout. Is that incase of a write off? I believe You can claim your own insurance as a cash claim. They will be able to budget the insurance cost in misc cost incase you are going with your own. They will be able to get this pretax I believe. Its better to check with them for the options. They are charging $258/month for the insurance alone which seems vey high to me o_O

Reactions: Ben MYBlack
I am with SG Fleet too.

Luxury Lease Impact Costs Definition from Leaseplan

Luxury Lease Impact Cost A lease is classified as a luxury lease when the amount financed under the lease is greater than the luxury taxation limit (currently $59,136). Novated leases which have a finance value greater than $59,136 are treated differently for tax purposes. This treatment imposes additional costs on your employer due to the tax deduction foregone. This cost will form part of your standard payroll deduction for your lease vehicle. This cost should not be confused with the Government imposed taxation surcharge which is payable as part of the vehicle purchase cost and shown separately on your quotation as part of the capital cost of your lease e.g. Luxury car tax.

I didnt know about the full payout. Is that incase of a write off? I believe You can claim your own insurance as a cash claim. They will be able to budget the insurance cost in misc cost incase you are going with your own. They will be able to get this pretax I believe. Its better to check with them for the options. They are charging $258/month for the insurance alone which seems vey high to me o_O
Yes, in case of a write off, it doesn't just cover the car but the extra $21k to payout the lease or whatever it is. Agree it's overpriced but for peace of mind, i'm happy to pay a bit more then next year lower the cost.
You're right, they include it as misc and pay you back for the insurance prem. My Sales person said it had to be a yearly premium but who knows if that is true or not...

• Helpful
Reactions: RM2023
Luxury Lease Impact Costs Definition from Leaseplan

Luxury Lease Impact Cost A lease is classified as a luxury lease when the amount financed under the lease is greater than the luxury taxation limit (currently $59,136). Novated leases which have a finance value greater than $59,136 are treated differently for tax purposes. This treatment imposes additional costs on your employer due to the tax deduction foregone. This cost will form part of your standard payroll deduction for your lease vehicle. This cost should not be confused with the Government imposed taxation surcharge which is payable as part of the vehicle purchase cost and shown separately on your quotation as part of the capital cost of your lease e.g. Luxury car tax.
Thanks, RM. Sounds like I could get charge extra later on