Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is only one UMC available. The kit comes with two tails (swappable cords to go from the UMC body to the power socket). By some random process, some people are getting 10 amp and 15 amp tails. Others are getting 8A and 12A. The wall charger is different from the UMC. Both are available in the Tesla shop.

The UMC will work with any 10A household socket. With a 15 (or 12) amp tail, it will work with a 15 amp socket. With an aftermarket 32 amp tail (like the one in XLBo's photo), you can plug into a 32 amp socket.

If you buy the wall charger, it needs to be installed by an electrician. If you are adding a 15A or 32A socket for a UMC, you will also need to pay an electrician, although probably a bit less.

Note that a 10A UMC tail will add 6-7 km of range per hour. That may be enough of you don't drive long distances regularly and are happy to top up on a DC charger on the odd occassion when you have been driving a long way and your battery is depleted. If you only tend to drive 20 km a day, you will likely only need a 10A socket and the UMC. If you commute 200km every day, you will probably want a wall charger or 32A socket and aftermarket tail.
Thanks a lot. I think the UMC should be enough for me for now. This is what I found in Tesla's shop, is that the one you referred to? It doesn't seem to have a 15A adaptor (only 8 and 12A) though.

Thanks a lot. I think the UMC should be enough for me for now. This is what I found in Tesla's shop, is that the one you referred to? It doesn't seem to have a 15A adaptor (only 8 and 12A) though.
Yes, please see my earlier post complaining that Tesla are currently selling the de-rated UMC to most people, even though some people are getting the normally-rated tails with theirs.

Normal household general power outlets (GPO) are rated to 10A, so you use the 10A (or the 8A) tail in those. The 15A (or 12A) tail is intended for 15A outlets, which you might have in your garage or shed, but are usually something you specifically request from the electrician. 15A outlets and plugs have a larger earth tang/socket. You can't fit a 15A plug into a 10A socket.

If you aren't already aware, there is also an aftermarket (non-Tesla) 32A tail you can buy for the UMC. If your electrician can install the correct 32A socket, you can then charge at 32 amps, which is four times faster than using an 8A tail in a GPO.
In Queensland a 32A circuit can only be used for EV charging if it is on an economy or controlled tarrif:

"Our Queensland Electricity Connection Manual (PDF 4.7 mb) provides rules on the connection of equipment such as wall-mounted EV chargers. A typical 7kW (~32 Amp) single-phase EV charger can't be connected to a continuous supply (uncontrolled) tariff. It can only be connected to an economy, or controlled, tariff.

An economy tariff is available for at least 18 hours per day, and often only switched off for short periods in the morning and/or early evening, so your EV battery will still be fully or mostly charged when you need it to be."

That is for Energex and I believe Ergon is the same (I spent 6 years in Townsville).

You may find a sparky that will install a 32a socket with a nod and a wink on an uncontrolled circuit however I have asked a few who have given a flat "no way". It is a supplier regulation and technically it is not breaking any laws however the supplier can, if they found out about it, cut off your electricity supply. Otherwise your on the controlled circuit which may not operate for up to 6 hours a day.

Picked up my model Y rwd today.

A few things I lodged on the app to fix. So see how it goes.

Attachments

• PXL_20230525_024615034.jpg
    PXL_20230525_024615034.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 71
  • PXL_20230525_024028042.jpg
    PXL_20230525_024028042.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 48
In Queensland a 32A circuit can only be used for EV charging if it is on an economy or controlled tarrif:

"Our Queensland Electricity Connection Manual (PDF 4.7 mb) provides rules on the connection of equipment such as wall-mounted EV chargers. A typical 7kW (~32 Amp) single-phase EV charger can't be connected to a continuous supply (uncontrolled) tariff. It can only be connected to an economy, or controlled, tariff.

An economy tariff is available for at least 18 hours per day, and often only switched off for short periods in the morning and/or early evening, so your EV battery will still be fully or mostly charged when you need it to be."

That is for Energex and I believe Ergon is the same (I spent 6 years in Townsville).

You may find a sparky that will install a 32a socket with a nod and a wink on an uncontrolled circuit however I have asked a few who have given a flat "no way". It is a supplier regulation and technically it is not breaking any laws however the supplier can, if they found out about it, cut off your electricity supply. Otherwise your on the controlled circuit which may not operate for up to 6 hours a day.
Thanks for that. I am aware of those limitations in Queensland, but didn't want to muddy the waters for people new to this, especially as most are interstate. The best bet would be to involve an electrician early.

This is one of the reasons why it is frustrating to have the 15A tail neutered.

Every color RWD with 20", mostly white interior, is now available in NSW: New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla
Tempting af given Grand Eagle is sitting in a nice and cozy 25th position outside of port kembla waiting to be unloaded middle of June if we're lucky. Then getting it trucked to Sydney with the massive backlog of cars being unloaded from other manufacturers Im sure will add to the delays. Then getting a lucky slot to actual;ly pick it up before 30 June - sounds too much.

Wish there was more certainty around these inventory vehicles and where they physically are - tempted af with my config sitting there!

Tempting af given Grand Eagle is sitting in a nice and cozy 25th position outside of port kembla waiting to be unloaded middle of June if we're lucky. Then getting it trucked to Sydney with the massive backlog of cars being unloaded from other manufacturers Im sure will add to the delays. Then getting a lucky slot to actual;ly pick it up before 30 June - sounds too much.

Wish there was more certainty around these inventory vehicles and where they physically are - tempted af with my config sitting there!

I have a status widget. It's 45th, but 12th for the berth.

Grand Eagle-Arrival
Arrival: Tue, 6 June 2023, 11:40 AEST
Number: 45
Number at port "Aat Port Kembla Terminal (106)": 12
Remaining: 11d22h

Reactions: nattyb and Red Man
View source and search for "ActualGAInDate" and it will give you an idea of the build date (usually the same, maybe a day earlier)

Most of the ones that just hit inventory are May builds, so you'd be waiting even longer if you switched to one of them.

Reactions: Red Man
If you buy the wall charger, it needs to be installed by an electrician. If you are adding a 15A or 32A socket for a UMC, you will also need to pay an electrician, although probably a bit less.
The 32A socket and the wall connector will be the same cost to install (ex. the cost of the HPWC itself) unless they're applying the Tesla Tax. The materials and time are the same.