Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What would the different car have been?
Out of interest, I hopped onto the Hyundai website when they released one of their tranches of Ioniq5 and ended up at the head of the queue and one click away from an order. It would have been in my second-choice colour.

Later, like Ron2, I considered buying a model 3 out of inventory. With the model Y delayed and the Qld government rebate, it was especially appealing. However, I did want the extra size and towing capability so stuck with the Model Y.

While waiting for my Tesla, my company has bought a Hyundai Kona EV for others to use (they wanted a smaller size and turning circle, and didn't want to make the leap to the Tesla UI). I flew to Brisbane and drove the Kona back. The whole process was done in about 9 days. By comparison, I look like an idiot waiting over 7 months for the Model Y, especially if it now can't be delivered and I need to cancel the order. It will be too late to arrange something else before EOFY.

Mostly from our own experience, and from hanging out on this thread (and the Model 3 one) for the last 12 months.

Plus there's always paid services like Vedaprime if you want more accurate information on delivery timeframes.
He started that service when waiting for his own Model 3 because the information from Tesla is such a joke.
Thanks for that. It's great that so many people are willing to share their information and experience on forums like this, which has been enough help for me at this point. Before ordering, I hadn't heard any negative about the comms from Tesla. Since ordering and asking around trying to get information, the standard response has been "oh yeah the comms suck". I'm happy to be part of the waiting room anyway :). I'll be sure to share my delivery schedule when I get some info, to try and help out others.

Out of interest, I hopped onto the Hyundai website when they released one of their tranches of Ioniq5 and ended up at the head of the queue and one click away from an order. It would have been in my second-choice colour.

Later, like Ron2, I considered buying a model 3 out of inventory. With the model Y delayed and the Qld government rebate, it was especially appealing. However, I did want the extra size and towing capability so stuck with the Model Y.

While waiting for my Tesla, my company has bought a Hyundai Kona EV for others to use (they wanted a smaller size and turning circle, and didn't want to make the leap to the Tesla UI). I flew to Brisbane and drove the Kona back. The whole process was done in about 9 days. By comparison, I look like an idiot waiting over 7 months for the Model Y, especially if it now can't be delivered and I need to cancel the order. It will be too late to arrange something else before EOFY.
Remembering that the instant asset write-off rule change 1 July, so for businesses the consequence of missing the 30 June cut-off can cost your business a lot more money when considering tax implications.

Turandot is due to dock tomorrow (it had better not be pushed back any later!), then go to Shanghai and back by late June. So, yeah, they are expecting to get to Shanghai, load and return to Brisbane in about the same time the ship has spent bobbing around at Port Cartwright Anchorage. Our ports are not doing very well right now.
"Not doing very well" is the understatement of the decade right there. Even though Australia prides itself on being a developed 1st world country, we still can't for the life of us - build more ports or berths. Or even run and plan things properly.

Reactions: JonDarian

I did the same thing with the ioniq 5. i could have had one months ago

Reactions: JonDarian
Remembering that the instant asset write-off rule change 1 July, so for businesses the consequence of missing the 30 June cut-off can cost your business a lot more money when considering tax implications.
That's right. I checked carefully before ordering in October and was told it would be fine by a wide margin. At the time, Hyundai had almost no Ioniq5 available and I went with the Tesla. It is increasingly looking like a bad choice.

That's right. I checked carefully before ordering in October and was told it would be fine by a wide margin. At the time, Hyundai had almost no Ioniq5 available and I went with the Tesla. It is increasingly looking like a bad choice.
Yeah I asked the same question when I got my call after ordering and was told the same thing that there were no delays and delivery should be within the estimated timeframe. I just got a response from my Tesla rep and got the same response that I don't have a VIN and my delivery date is unchanged. I will be sure to give an update to the forum when I get some more information. It feels like they rely on the fact that they make good cars, and customer service comes second. I don't think any other manufacturer is doing much better, it's just how things are these days.

Yeah I asked the same question when I got my call after ordering and was told the same thing that there were no delays and delivery should be within the estimated timeframe. I just got a response from my Tesla rep and got the same response that I don't have a VIN and my delivery date is unchanged. I will be sure to give an update to the forum when I get some more information. It feels like they rely on the fact that they make good cars, and customer service comes second. I don't think any other manufacturer is doing much better, it's just how things are these days.
Yeah, I call BS, which is why I checked the Inventory page constantly until a similar enough model came up (white interior instead of black).

So I have a totally ambiguous order for "May - Jun" (in the off chance Tesla finds a car, and the $400 is a loss anyway), and a paid + VIN-assigned order on Grand Eagle in SYD for "Jun 12 - Jun 30".

Thanks! I am looking forward to the extra space, sitting higher, and of course faster acceleration :)
Zoom-zoom! (no, wait, that's a different brand).

I test-drove a dual-motor Polestar 2 and the fast acceleration is bananas. Good fun getting to the other side of the intersection before other cars have started moving after the green light. I am sure I would tire of that soon enough, but things like merging with traffic, overtaking, etc, will still be great in the LR.

• Funny
Reactions: bean2006
Not a tax expert by any means, but in this scenario could you settle the invoice by 30 June and then claim all tax benefits for FY23, without taking physical delivery?