Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As if it matters. Tesla is selling vehicles without advertising, demand is outstripping supply everywhere, why should Australian market matter much when it is a small market overall for the Shanghai factory?
That smells like a strawman argument to me.

I don't dispute Australia's market status, the high demand for these cars, or if customers in Australia ultimately matters to Tesla. So I probably don't have the answer you're looking for.

I don't know if you saw my earlier post where I put some details on where to look. The rears are easy to see, the fronts needs some gymnastics.

Ok, I managed to get a pic of the rear, sorry didn't get a chance to get the front one. Is this the new comfort?
IMG_1270.jpeg

reasonable expectation
What's reasonable?. One could say that Tesla's estimates dates can reasonably be relied upon. I say none of what a car manufacturer/dealer says can ever be grounds for reasonable expectations unless it's written down in a contract

I think everyone here knows there is nothing contractually enforceable with the delivery dates
of course, but my point is because of that, nothing they say can or should be relied upon especially when delivery dates may impact on other issues important to the purchaser

I don't dispute Australia's market status, the high demand for these cars, or if customers in Australia ultimately matters to Tesla. So I probably don't have the answer you're looking for.

I'm not looking for answers... I'm just stating an unfortunate fact. I'm sure the Australian market matters to Tesla - but only to the extent that it does - note the fact that Tesla is happy to cancel the book build of the S and X. Likely the numbers were too low to make it worthwhile - despite causing disappointment. The value that Tesla puts on some of those S,X customers who ordered?. $3000 - if they buy a 3/Y

Last edited:
Personally, i would expect that when given a range, be it dates or prices, then the expectation is that the result would be within that range.

A range is normally best case to worse case. A variation from the range should be minimal if any at all, unless you really have no idea about your product and processes... Or something completely unexpected occurring.

Are the edd legally binding...., no.

Do people have the right to expect a professional company to know their current demand vs production capacity... yes

Do companies fudge figures to promote sales... of cause.

What can we do about the blown out delivery times... nothing but complain and let others know. This way at least others will know that the times are not realistic and to lower their expectations.

Reactions: (crunch)
As I eagerly await the delivery of my White on White Model Y off the coast of Port Kembla on Grand Eagle, I'm curious if it will come with HW4. For those interested, the Tesla Info site provides current/recent inventory details, including hardware versions.

Based on my research, confirming HW4 presence using the page source code data is challenging. However, I hope we gain better clarity soon. Personally, I'm not optimistic about receiving HW4 and suspect a HW3 vehicle instead. This is disappointing, considering the lengthy wait and the potential depreciation compared to HW4 models. On a positive note, we might still benefit from ultrasonic sensors.

lower their expectations.

Basically I have no expectations. I will know when I get the vehicle.

Gigafactory 3 (Shanghai) produces approx 20,000 vehicles per week.

The VFacts data says that for May 2023, Tesla registrations were about 3100 MY and 1300 M3. (4400 Tesla approx)
That's about 5.5% of the monthly Gigafactory 3 production. That's how small the Australian Market it - It takes maybe about 2 days production time to build the May 2023 registered vehicles (maybe add a bit to change the production from LHD to RHD.

Last edited:
Basically I have no expectations. I will know when I get the vehicle.

Gigafactory 3 (Shanghai) produces approx 20,000 vehicles per week.

The VFacts data says that for May 2023, Tesla registrations were about 3100 MY and 1300 M3. (4400 Tesla approx)
That's about 5.5% of the monthly gigs 3 production. That's how small the Australian Market it - It takes about 2 days production time to build the May registered vehicles.
No expectations is probably the smartest way to be when ordering a tesla, and lots of other items atm.

With such a small market in Australia, you'd think that they would be able to manage demand better.

They could do better with their estimate. Why even say edd June/July when can't deliver Apr/May deliveries in June. Be much smarter to have started saying July - Oct. If it arrives August, people would rave about how good delivery was...

Reactions: houdini
probably just website update, what else can we expect? I know my car is on Grand Eagle and won't dock until at least this Sun.
Elon has hired drones for delivery so the website is upgrading to reflect that (on a serious note, the sister company does send rockets into space so this mess up of delivery delays is unacceptable)

Fingers crossed it's a positive change!
I made the payment today so this glitch is giving me palpitations.