Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
but it also needs to be in use before EOFY
I read it differently.
The ATO:
  • eligible new assets first held, first used or installed ready for use for a taxable purpose between 7.30pm AEDT on 6 October 2020 and 30 June 2023
First held or installed ready for use implies registered for use for a vehicle. "OR" is also operative - meaning one OR more of the 3 scenarios. Elsewhere in other ATO rules, the ATO deems the owner of an asset to be the 'holder" of the asset. As always check with accountant and follow their advice

do you need to get the car delivered, or simply need to pay the final invoice, or ok as long as car rego is done by end of june
see above but I suggest you need an accountant to confirm for you directly and also for your other question

Last edited:
Reactions: cafz
I read it differently.
The ATO:
  • eligible new assets first held, first used or installed ready for use for a taxable purpose between 7.30pm AEDT on 6 October 2020 and 30 June 2023
First held or installed ready for use implies registered for use for a vehicle. "OR" is also operative - meaning one OR more of the 3 scenarios. Elsewhere in other ATO rules, the ATO deems the owner of an asset to be the 'holder" of the asset. As always check with accountant and follow their advice

see above but I suggest you need an accountant to confirm for you directly and also for your other question
I can't see how it could be considered installed or held, or in use, if it hasn't been delivered yet. I agree that everyone should get professional advice instead of taking advice from this forum. That said, my accountant made a point of saying to get it delivered before EOFY.

my accountant made a point of saying to get it delivered before EOFY.
My acocuntant says the same as well. However she also says its a bit of a grey area because of other sections of the ATO.
She says a Rego dated 1 week earlier will make it a lot easier to say the asset was held as of EOFY than say a Rego dated 30 June

She referenced this paragraph:
"Only the holder of a depreciating asset can claim a deduction for its decline in value.
In most cases, the legal owner of a depreciating asset will be its holder."

From what I've read, and discussed with accountant last month, it needed to be in our hands by June 30. But there is a lot of pressure to relax this stance from manufactures. So keep an eye on ato website and check with accountant before making final decision.
If opting for the grey area... make sure you have capital available for the tax man if he comes knocking next financial...

Still 11-30 June EDD here, but I am not optimistic based on the trajectory of their flimsy analysis.

Will definitely be giving them a courtesy ring when I'm back in the country to see if I can squeeze anything positive out of the situation.

The temporary full financing is not necessarily a huge benefit. There is a sting at the other end when the vehicle is sold. However, i would rather the $$$ crystallised in my bank account. There is a requirement to elect to Temp full expensing or not on the tax returns

Been lurking a while, first time poster. Got a delivery window yesterday June 8-29! Ordered 24 March in Melbourne. Stock standard white standard range.

After nil activity at all seems to be moving pretty quickly. Got the delivery window, invoice and registration form Inc VIN all on the same day.
Hey @Xolstis that is a great news

I ordered 25th of March in Chadstone hopefully I get some delivery / ETA update soon.

What is your build date ?

Hey - brand new here. All helpful stuff thanks everyone.
Anyone in Brisbane had any love with deliveries? Ordered in mid-Jan, Build 27/4, RAV 18/5. Assuming once the eagle lands in PK then have to wait until it spends the obligatory month at anchor on the sunny coast before it can come in here too. EDD Feb-May now June 10 to July 1. (Very unlikely)

The interesting aspect of the schedule with respect to Morning Crystal is that it has 2 berthing scheduled allocations.
One for late Friday 16June till Sunday 18June at B105, and then early 23Jun at Berth 104.

Maybe offloading different cargo? but its a vehicle carrier not a general cargo ship

Anyone in Brisbane had any love with deliveries? Ordered in mid-Jan, Build 27/4, RAV 18/5. Assuming once the eagle lands in PK then have to wait until it spends the obligatory month at anchor on the sunny coast before it can come in here too. EDD Feb-May now June 10 to July 1. (Very unlikely)
I'm on the Grand Eagle and I'm still showing 10-20 June. I hope you're being pessimistic.

Hi I’m in bris too.
What are your specs ?
I ordered Mid March YRWD white stock everything. And EDD is still May- June