Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to be positive but resigning to reality.

Y RWD Grey otherwise stock. Have seen plenty of people order after us and come through earlier. Had two phone calls and an email promising May so we sold the car it‘s replacing. I feel like George Jetson dropping the family off everyday in our remaining hack. First world problems!

i know Australia is useless in ports and I’ve seen first hand how the order works. (Who knows who, or doesn’t like who). Tesla Aus really need to get their act into gear though and spend a dollar. I assume the owner of that ship must be either charging excessive rates or raging at the cost of lost revenue.

I assume the owner of that ship must be either charging excessive rates or raging at the cost of lost revenue.
The whole subject of price of maritime transportation is a very complex subject. No doubt that the cost of shipping has increased post Covid - like everything else. If a ship is charted - it can be time charted (charted for a time) or voyage charted (charted from point a to point b). Unless in the business, one can only speculate as to the cost of shipping and how it is calculated with respect to delays. Possibly the delays have been factored in to the price, perhaps not, who knows- its not as though Australian port congestion is a new thing postCovid, or for that matter preCovid. Certainly it has worsened post covid.

I can't see why it is Tesla Australia who should spend a dollar - on what? How is Tesla spending more $$$ going to speed up the delivery through the ports?

Last edited:
Some good news for those in Adelaide awaiting Grand Eagle deliveries (unloaded in Melbourne). After what appears to be the standard shenanigans with moving estimated delivery dates I'm happy to share I've got a delivery date booked in:
  • Ordered: 28 Feb 2023
  • Estimated Window (orig): April - June
  • Next Window (steady for quite a while)*: 22 May - 12 June
  • .... (3-4 random window adjustments, generally contracting window but sliding to the right)
  • Final Window (steady for about 2 weeks): 21 June - 30 June
  • Delivery Date: 22 June (they offered 21 June but that didn't work for me)
* I may have had an earlier, smaller window prior to this but I can't quite remember....

MY/RWD/White (Ex)/Black (In)/Inductions

Build Date: 26/04/2023 (revised to 27/04/2023 on latest updated Final Invoice, km's also went from 0km to 8km)
RAV Entry Date: 18/05/2023 (Grand Eagle bulk entry)

Interestingly I was not offered the usual delivery options (i.e. two options over two days). I was offered one firm slot which I couldn't make on the 21st (via SMS and reflected in the App). When I called apparently that is a recent change in tactics due to the number of deliveries in the system. Not sure if it is common across Australia, just for Adelaide or just an excuse they gave for not giving me at least a couple of options! Easy to change and the app updated immediately after the SA made the change (as you'd expect). According to my SA they will generously allow me 15 minutes for the delivery appointment (but I plan to take my time and leave only when I've had opportunity to make the checks I feel I need to :)).

Good luck everyone, especially those that ordered way earlier or are up against the June 30 deadline for tax write-offs.

Reactions: Elite Display
or up to maybe 5-7 years down the track
If claiming depreciation over multiple years, it should be done and dusted to max vehicle write-off over 3 or 4 years... but you are right, they can come knocking anytime, and if they think something is sus, they look much harder at everything else.
A mate just ordered a tesla today from inventory. Tesla rep told him to pay before June 30 and claim it this year.... bad of them to say that! But im sure many will try the grey area, which may result in ato looking harder at everyone

Last edited:
The whole subject of price of maritime transportation is a very complex subject. No doubt that the cost of shipping has increased post Covid - like everything else. If a ship is charted - it can be time charted (charted for a time) or voyage charted (charted from point a to point b). Unless in the business, one can only speculate as to the cost of shipping and how it is calculated with respect to delays. Possibly the delays have been factored in to the price, perhaps not, who knows- its not as though Australian port congestion is a new thing postCovid, or for that matter preCovid. Certainly it has worsened post covid.

I can't see why it is Tesla Australia who should spend a dollar - on what? How is Tesla spending more $$$ going to speed up the delivery through the ports?
It used to be that big companies would pre book slots on ships well in advance of needing them. I would thing there would still be similar to ensure they have space when needed. But can't say who would be responsible to waisted time at our ports.
Ive also heard that due to bugs/seeds in vehicles, some ships have sailed to other countries for cleaning, then return to Oz again after... again I don't know who would get the bill for this.

Today I was told my bris order eta is 29th June. So pretty confident I won't see it this fy.
But the ACT order eta is 18th June... still think it's on the eagle.... so fingers crossed
Who told you that? Tesla rep? The eta is a specific date, not a date range?
When did you order?

I was told by tesla rep, grand eagle is a chartered vessels with many teslas in it and will be delivered from around late June and likely to take a month to finish delivering cars from that vessel..

It was first Apr-May, then May 20-30 ish then June 4-20ish then June 8-29.
My choice of delivery centre had always been Alexandria.
It’s changing almost everyday after getting vin for me,

Initially it was Apr-Jun
changes to 9thJun-29th Jun
Next day changes to 5th Jun-26thJune
Got delivery approaching message and VIN updated on 5th June EDD was still 5th June -26th June
On 6th EDD changes to 16th Jun-4th July
On 8th EDD changes to 18th June-3rd July

9th June —- no updates
:
:
:

No schedule delivery message , no action pending in account …. Wait is frustrating

Reactions: JonDarian
It’s changing almost everyday after getting vin for me,

Initially it was Apr-Jun
changes to 9thJun-29th Jun
Next day changes to 5th Jun-26thJune
Got delivery approaching message and VIN updated on 5th June EDD was still 5th June -26th June
On 6th EDD changes to 16th Jun-4th July
On 8th EDD changes to 18th June-3rd July

9th June —- no updates
:
:
:

No schedule delivery message , no action pending in account …. Wait is frustrating
This is the way!

If claiming depreciation over multiple years, it should be done and dusted to max vehicle write-off over 3 or 4 years... but you are right, they can come knocking anytime, and if they think something is sus, they look much harder at everything else.
A mate just ordered a tesla today from inventory. Tesla rep told him to pay before June 30 and claim it this year.... bad of them to say that! But im sure many will try the grey area, which may result in ato looking harder at everyone

The ATO cross check, you must have physical ownership of the vehicle. There is no way getting around this.

My chances are now slim...to not existent being on the morning crystal. Then it becomes a 7-8 year depreciation at max each year.

If you sell the car at any point, the sales proceed will be income and taxed.

Note, they cross check who owns cars now so you can't get away with selling and pocketing.

Who told you that? Tesla rep? The eta is a specific date, not a date range?
When did you order?

I was told by tesla rep, grand eagle is a chartered vessels with many teslas in it and will be delivered from around late June and likely to take a month to finish delivering cars from that vessel..
I called and spoke to them. I'd seen some cars come available interstate and thought I could snap up one of them... he told me etas as exact dates, not a range. The date was when they expect to see in depo, not a pickup date. But I'm sure these dates can still blow out as they doubted the one in depo on 18th would be ready for pickup by eofy

FWIW the Brisbane port schedule PDF seems pretty adamant that Grand Eagle will dock on the 18th. That's what uncongested ports look like, I think.

So hoping the 14th for Sydney is good (it's only Euphrates Highway unloading over the weekend), leave 16th, up to Brisbane for all y'all.
FWIW the Brisbane port schedule PDF seems pretty adamant that Grand Eagle will dock on the 18th. That's what uncongested ports look like, I think.

So hoping the 14th for Sydney is good (it's only Euphrates Highway unloading over the weekend), leave 16th, up to Brisbane for all y'all.
Doesn’t it also say morning cherry would dock on the 9th and it hasn’t.

Hmm just be careful of ATO minimum residual values if using a lease.

And I don't think it is possible to depreciate a car over 3-4 years.
Sorry my math was out after Friday drinks... :) based of $86k purchase, 4 to 5 years using diminishing value method should get you down to same as current instant write off, if using prime cost it takes longer. Again, talk to accountant as to which suits best for you situation.
I don't know how leasing devaluation works.

Reactions: Quickst
The ATO cross check, you must have physical ownership of the vehicle. There is no way getting around this.

My chances are now slim...to not existent being on the morning crystal. Then it becomes a 7-8 year depreciation at max each year.

If you sell the car at any point, the sales proceed will be income and taxed.

Note, they cross check who owns cars now so you can't get away with selling and pocketing.
Yes, good point on being taxed if selling above depreciated value. That's why it's important to choose the right method of depreciation that suits your situation