Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it’s about a quarter past seven. Anyone from the Grand Eagle group receive late night scheduling texts today? I think yesterday a few people got texted past 6pm. I’m actually hoping I don’t get texted for a pickup next week as I’m on holidays then.

Reactions: LWR15K
So it’s about a quarter past seven. Anyone from the Grand Eagle group receive late night scheduling texts today? I think yesterday a few people got texted past 6pm. I’m actually hoping I don’t get texted for a pickup next week as I’m on holidays then.
nope… nothing. very disappointing… was hoping to pick up before eofy…

very frustrating because i needed a car before eofy and when i ordered it back in april, the Tesla person pretty much guaranteed it will come by end of May…

Last edited:

very frustrating because i needed a car before eofy and when i ordered it back in april, the Tesla person pretty much guaranteed it will come by end of May…
Feel your pain I need one EOFY as well, ordered in Jan :(

Time for me to consider a plan b although I really hope I don't need to

• Love
Reactions: Hoon

If it's any consolation - we ordered in November and were told it was nearly guaranteed we'd have have it early Feb - March worst case. Yet here we are still still waiting and have been forced to re-register the trade in whose rego expires tomorrow. (our MY was on Grand Eagle into PK last week).

Mean time, I'm hearing people ordering identical specs in Mar/April this year who have been contacted already about their cars being ready for delivery from the same ship. A colleague in Brisbane ordered identical car 2x days after we did and had his car delivered in March.

I'm trying to remain patient and not to be judgemental or critical of Tesla's allocation/customer handling but its hard. Especially since my wife picked the Tesla over others mainly for being available in a reasonable time, which subsequently turned out to comparable (in some ways worse) than other brands. I can forgive all of this with what's going on in the world, however there has been zero interest / empathy at all from the sales team. I'll be interested to see if Tesla can maintain their their EV market share with the other makers coming online with volume now with comparable products/services.

If it's any consolation - we ordered in November and were told it was nearly guaranteed we'd have have it early Feb - March worst case. Yet here we are still still waiting and have been forced to re-register the trade in whose rego expires tomorrow. (our MY was on Grand Eagle into PK last week).

Mean time, I'm hearing people ordering identical specs in Mar/April this year who have been contacted already about their cars being ready for delivery from the same ship. A colleague in Brisbane ordered identical car 2x days after we did and had his car delivered in March.

I'm trying to remain patient and not to be judgemental or critical of Tesla's allocation/customer handling but its hard. Especially since my wife picked the Tesla over others mainly for being available in a reasonable time, which subsequently turned out to comparable (in some ways worse) than other brands. I can forgive all of this with what's going on in the world, however there has been zero interest / empathy at all from the sales team. I'll be interested to see if Tesla can maintain their their EV market share with the other makers coming online with volume now with comparable products/services.
Your story parallels mine. It is so frustrating.

Reactions: Hoon and LWR15K

Totally my sentiment here - absolutely appalling customer service by Tesla team. I was pretty fed up with them with the way I had to chase them up numerous times because they had put the final invoice address incorrectly despite assuring me before it was sorted. Not to mention they always give me automated SMS replies whenever I ask if there's been any progress with my order from day 1.

I really chose Tesla based on the fact their team guaranteed it will be delivered before EOFY (end of May in my case)... I would've chosen other cars or second hand car if it was going to take long time. Nevertheless, I really feel for you since you've waited since last year... that's crazy they are allocating people who ordered before you a spot. I really hope the delivery SMS comes tomorrow for all of us in Grand Eagle - fingers crossed!

I'm sure I will suffer the same fate
Mine is still showing 21/06 to 12 /07

Previously it was 12/06 - 30/06 but it only changed on the 13th.

I know people are saying this is out of Tesla's control but surely they have control over what cars there trucks are picking up.

I think its just easier to let the trucks pick up whatever rather than instruct which ones..the port congestions have been going on for a while now they should have anticipated a bottle neck. The fact that they are being so reactive to this and not even offering anything to those impacted shows the real lack of service

Reactions: Tmill
I'm sure I will suffer the same fate
Mine is still showing 21/06 to 12 /07

Previously it was 12/06 - 30/06 but it only changed on the 13th.

I know people are saying this is out of Tesla's control but surely they have control over what cars there trucks are picking up.

I think its just easier to let the trucks pick up whatever rather than instruct which ones..the port congestions have been going on for a while now they should have anticipated a bottle neck. The fact that they are being so reactive to this and not even offering anything to those impacted shows the real lack of service
Understand you’re frustrated. Unfortunately truck drivers are hard to come by, industry shortage. They can’t scale up deliveries as the trucks and drivers don’t exist.
The only part Tesla can somewhat control is production. Shipping, ports and trucks/drivers, not.

Reactions: LWR15K
Understand you’re frustrated. Unfortunately truck drivers are hard to come by, industry shortage. They can’t scale up deliveries as the trucks and drivers don’t exist.
The only part Tesla can somewhat control is production. Shipping, ports and trucks/drivers, not.
Really unfortunate, can't argue with that but given the price of model y I'd expect more I'm terms of service. The fact that all so many of us have to check the app each day to see if there is a change rather than a text or email altering us is rather annoying. I assume this is to reduce a influx of calls but unfortunately I think the service post sale has been subpar.

Really hoping they pull off a miracle here, they told me yesterday last year they delivered 150 cars on the 30th to get them out in time. But the delay in text worries me and I am now searching for another purchase with little time.

Thanks for ur message above, u did mention things I didn't consider

Reactions: Ryan07
The other part in their control is not misleading especially in terms of EOFY as many of us planned based on that and it impacts our finances quite a lot.

One thing with NAB that isn't obvious is that with a joint account (or a company account with multiple signatories) you can both do $40K each on one day, so $80K is possible i.e. the limit is per authorised user not actual bank account. At least that's what they told us, although we paid early and did it over three days from one of us.
How long did it take for the money to arrive in tesla bank acc from nab account?

Unfortunately slow deliveries aren't just a Tesla thing. Friend just got his RAV4 hybrid, been on order for 18 months. Another ordered a corolla hybrid 4 months ago, told it would be here well before eofy, last week when chasing them up, they couldn't give an eta... he's now ordered a Tesla 3P from inventory in SA, they with fingers crossed its available next week...

Unfortunately slow deliveries aren't just a Tesla thing. Friend just got his RAV4 hybrid, been on order for 18 months. Another ordered a corolla hybrid 4 months ago, told it would be here well before eofy, last week when chasing them up, they couldn't give an eta... he's now ordered a Tesla 3P from inventory in SA, they with fingers crossed its available next week...
The fact of the matter is none of the car manufacturers take the Australian market seriously because of the small size. I read Toyota sold record number of cars globally last year. They definitely didn't sell many of them here I don't think.

As far as Tesla goes, their store guys either don't have any info if one were to believe them or they are not being used in the best way possible to provide a decent customer service to people waiting for cars.

Reactions: JonDarian
Good morning guys. I ordered my RWD MY in white with 19 inch wheels and black interior on 11 May 23. Got an email yesterday saying 'Your Model Y Has Been Assigned'. Account now shows estimated delivery between 10-31st July 23.

I was wondering how are people finding their Vin numbers and checking what ship their car is on or generally get more certainty around their delivery date?

thanks

Tesla can definitely control when they decide to start making a car.

In my case they didnt begin production of my 10 January 23 order until 3.5 months later, effectively giving them very little buffer in terms of their EDD, and EOFY.

Now they place 100% blame on port congestion for the fact the car wont make 30 June, despite port congestion being an issue in Australia since last year - well before they took the order.

Reactions: LWR15K and satred
Good morning guys. I ordered my RWD MY in white with 19 inch wheels and black interior on 11 May 23. Got an email yesterday saying 'Your Model Y Has Been Assigned'. Account now shows estimated delivery between 10-31st July 23.

I was wondering how are people finding their Vin numbers and checking what ship their car is on or generally get more certainty around their delivery date?

thanks
Your VIN will be on the invoice, which is usually issued with a couple of days of the car being built, and you receiving the "has been assigned". If you want to check for it sooner, it is sometimes in the source code of your account page. You can google "Tesla Hidden VIN" for instructions, but basically you can right-click the page in a desktop browser and search for is_vin_assigned or LRW (which should be the first letters of your VIN from Shanghai. There is also a Chrome extension that will search for you, but some people have been uncomfortable about privacy.

Once you have the VIN, you can search for vehicle carrier ships leaving Shanghai and heading for Australia in within a few days of your build date (which also shows on your invoice). Usually, the ships are MolAce or Armacup. You can search the MolAce site for your VIN to confirm you have then right ship. You can't do that for Armacup, so there is always some doubt. VINs are 17 digits long, and you can enter up to 15 separate VINs on separate lines in RAV. In your case, you'll only need to enter 17 digits on one line.

When your ship reaches its first Australian port, your VIN should appear in the RAV (Register of Australian Vehicles). It can be worth discussing with other users here, as it is not always easy to read the shipping schedules, and usually someone will point out if you are making a mistake. The different ports publish their schedules and update them with different frequencies. For Sydney deliveries, you need to look at Port Kembla.

If tracking is too hard, you can sign up to VedaPrime, which uses a Discord server to provide tracking and other information.

Last edited:
Reactions: LWR15K and catham8