Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took the plunge and booked Model Y

Delivery Location: Mulgrave, VIC
Colour: Blue
Model: RWD

Current estimates says it will be July-Sept timeframe, but I think its going to take more than that, so keeping my expectations low. Will update here if I get any updates before that :cool:

Yeah welcome to the wait fam. Ordered mine at the beginning of the month, still haven't got any updates yet.
Btw, there is a blue RWD on the inventory list, just comes with induction. If you're keen for that one, it should be in your hands within a couple of week. Tempted?

Picked up the Model Y RWD today from Alexandria & have done about 200KM so far.

Honestly, my impression so far is being in love. This car has met and exceeded virtually all my expectations. The build quality etc (appears) excellent. The only thing I've found annoying is the car yelled at me a few times about having to correct the steering as I ventured out the lane. When this happened I really didn't believe I had ventured out, but maybe I marginally did. Seems a little aggressive.

What I'm less happy about is Tesla's customer service. I spoke with Tesla multiple times advising I lived outside Sydney and to please try and charge my car. They kept saying there were notes all over my account in regards to charging to 100% before pickup. I turned up today and the car was 18% charged. I drove to a supercharger and managed to charge, but it was poor on Tesla's part.

Reactions: dietereater
Unfortunately, everytime I approach the car from the front, and see the damaged paint, I feel queasy, which reminds me about the massive price drop a week after I got my car. I am still sold on the benefits EVs, but not sure I'll buy Tesla again.

What happened to the paintwork? Genuinely curios, as I have a White MY RWD on order that will spend it's life running up and down the M1 from Sydney to Newcastle and back...

What happened to the paintwork? Genuinely curios, as I have a White MY RWD on order that will spend it's life running up and down the M1 from Sydney to Newcastle and back...
It's unclear, it was delivered to my home with stains on the bonnet. Half-a-fingerprint-sized dark marks scattered around as though from drops of liquid, along with scuff marks as though someone tried to scrub them off. It's not something that can be washed away. It is a business vehicle, and I can't justify the cost of professional paint correction. This is on the expensive red, multicoat paint.

Yeah welcome to the wait fam. Ordered mine at the beginning of the month, still haven't got any updates yet.
Btw, there is a blue RWD on the inventory list, just comes with induction. If you're keen for that one, it should be in your hands within a couple of week. Tempted?
Saw that one, had to pay extra for 20inch wheels and I was ok to wait, so didn't bother. Also I was wondering why no one is picking that one up!

Well, I am trying to be positive. The EV experience around town is much nicer than the ICE experience. I really like one-pedal driving. Being able to open the car, set climate, etc in the app is good, and works most of the time. Phone-as-key is also working well.

I am not doing a lot of driving, so the 8A UMC is enough for now. I do look forward to smarter charger scheduling.

The turning circle and poor rear visibility do continue to annoy me a bit, but at least I knew about them ahead of time. Thank God for reversing cameras and ultrasonic sensors.

I am still disappointed by the highway range, poor implementation of auto-high beams and steering assist. Autopilot is helped by using my current speed instead of the posted speed (which the car misreads).

Unfortunately, everytime I approach the car from the front, and see the damaged paint, I feel queasy, which reminds me about the massive price drop a week after I got my car. I am still sold on the benefits EVs, but not sure I'll buy Tesla again.
How bad is the damaged paint? Is it so bad that a paint correction done during ceramic coating can’t fix? I’m finally picking my car up tomorrow and then sending it for a Graphene coating and tinting of the front two windows the following day.

That would require paying a professional, which wasn't in the budget, and I don't think should be needed for a new car.
Could try it DIY if it isn’t too bad. A bit of Meguiar’s M205 or Ultimate Polish should fix a lot of things. Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound if it looks like the other stuff isn’t cutting enough. Spray it over with Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Spray. I know it’s a bit of effort but not too much money and hopefully it fixes your eyesore.

Reactions: satred
Just picked up my MYLR from Alexandria. It was quite a pleasant experience. I got there about half an hour before my appointment time and they fit me straight in. I was shown the vehicle and then pretty much left in peace alone with the car. Was not rushed in any way. I got a white MYLR and could not see any paint defects or build quality issues. Panel gaps were all even and everything seems to work. All in all pretty happy with the delivery experience. Anyway, farewelling this waiting room guys. I must be one of the last of the Grand Eaglelites. Thank you all for making the waiting experience more enjoyable. Certainly has been educational.

Also picked up from Alexandria this morning - a lot of MY LR from Grand Eagle and Morning Crystal it seems

Car is perfect and no rushing by the staff, I spent 20 minutes going through the checklist before leaving
Original order on 16/1/23 for the RWD, changed to LR on 4/4/23 and finally picked up on 19/7/23.
This one is a 26/4/23 build date with no boombox or parcel shelf

Plate number is EZY - was dreading getting an FAxxxx plate but of the other cars there seem to be EZxxxx then skipped to FBBxxx
IMG_4740.JPG
IMG_4730.JPG

can someone please help me out here, our car was supposed to be picked up today but now may have to cancel and forfeit our deposit when we ordered in december 2022 because of the banks not transferring due to the word 'south' missing from my suburb. Called Tesla to amend but has somehow now caused our final invoice to increase by $13 (and our NL has said will need to do a whole new app taking 2 weeks) ? Can i just ask if this price is supposed to vary in NSW because of a different suburb? even though the post code is the same? Is everyones licence plate fees different ? not the supposed $129?
1689752704129.png

can someone please help me out here, our car was supposed to be picked up today but now may have to cancel and forfeit our deposit when we ordered in december 2022 because of the banks not transferring due to the word 'south' missing from my suburb. Called Tesla to amend but has somehow now caused our final invoice to increase by $13 (and our NL has said will need to do a whole new app taking 2 weeks) ? Can i just ask if this price is supposed to vary in NSW because of a different suburb? even though the post code is the same? Is everyones licence plate fees different ? not the supposed $129?
View attachment 957634
You are not alone on the $13 fee increase. I had to fix Tesla up for that with a credit card before picking my vehicle up today. Tesla explained that the license plate fee across NSW went up by $13 on Tuesday hence the fee increase. I’m pretty sure it has nothing to do with your different suburb issue. Just bad luck timing.

• Informative
Reactions: Epping2023 and cafz
You are not alone on the $13 fee increase. I had to fix Tesla up for that with a credit card before picking my vehicle up today. Tesla explained that the license plate fee across NSW went up by $13 on Tuesday hence the fee increase. I’m pretty sure it has nothing to do with your different suburb issue. Just bad luck timing.
Omg so now i have to go through my whole novated lease process again to get approval on a $13 increase that i cant even pay off myself because of the novated lease.... i think ill need to cancel the car then as the car wont wait for me to get approvals from my NL... i wonder what happens for all the others paying by NL from tuesday onwards if NL doesnt allow for you to pay for extra? this has honestly been the worst process ever D:

Saw that one, had to pay extra for 20inch wheels and I was ok to wait, so didn't bother. Also I was wondering why no one is picking that one up!
It's gone to the lucky owner now.
Well a month to get VIN and another month for delivery day. This thread shall keep us both sane.

That would require paying a professional, which wasn't in the budget, and I don't think should be needed for a new car.
Did you try asking Tesla about it? Maybe it would be covered by the warranty?

Omg so now i have to go through my whole novated lease process again to get approval on a $13 increase that i cant even pay off myself because of the novated lease.... i think ill need to cancel the car then as the car wont wait for me to get approvals from my NL... i wonder what happens for all the others paying by NL from tuesday onwards if NL doesnt allow for you to pay for extra? this has honestly been the worst process ever D:
I hear you on the process sucking. Sometimes everything conspires against you. The best you can probably do is ask Tesla and the NL company what options you have. It seems to me that you might be able to pay the $13 using your own credit card, then get the NL amended to the correct value. You will then have overpaid by $13, and Tesla will reimburse you.

Good luck, I understand the stress and disappointment.

Reactions: Nrcl