Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered MYRWD with 19 inch wheels and black interior on 24/06 with pickup in Sydney and no trade in.

No update from Tesla on VIN. No VIN assigned in the backend either.

Estimated date is June to August. Not sure how close am I go being adobe a VIN.
I ordered a Blue MYRWD with black interior on 29/06 with pickup in Sydney and no trade in.

EDD June-August

No updates from Tesla, and no hidden VIN.

Glad I’m not the only one!

Yeah, been there, done that. I even just tried again. I have an email from Tesla on July 16, saying:

"I have been advised that there is a known characteristic with vehicle software 2023.20 or newer that is causing UMC updates to fail. This is currently being investigated by our tech/ engineering and we are hoping for this to be fixed via a future firmware update

Please connect to a strong Wi-Fi connection whenever possible to allow future firmware updates to download when they become available."

I had hoped that the firmware update my car received this week would include the bug fix, but it didn't.
Thanks for this Jon! I have been puzzling over this since having the car (6 weeks) and tried the recommended process several times also. My wifi doesn't reach the garage so I wondered if the UMC update would come from the premium connection or not, same with the latest upgrade (20.9). The 20.9 upgrade did download presumably over the air and prompted me to install it so I've done so. I have tried connecting the car to my phone wifi via iphone hotspot but it seems the Tesla doesn't support that protocol (said it couldn't establish an IP address).

Anyway I now know I have to wait for a fix to get the UMC to upgrade. It did come with 10/15 connectors.

cheers.

In speaking to someone from Tesla today, the process seems to be that you put in your order, and list your trade-in with photos etc.

The trade-in valuation is done once a vehicle is assigned to your order - but the absence of a valuation does not delay getting a vehicle assigned to you. This gives me the impression that not putting in a trade-in, or taking one out when one is in there as "pending" would not speed up the assignment of a vehicle to you.

Once a vehicle is assigned - and assuming the above is true, then I suspect a flag is thrown internally and your trade-in is assessed, and an offer is made.

In speaking to Sydney Tesla today, and in referencing my particular order (details in sig together with order and amendment date), the expectation was that we would have a vehicle around mid September. Frankly, I am surprised by this, as I would have thought delivery and unloading would take around 4 weeks from Shanghai? In other words, a vehicle would need to be allocated in the next fortnight to my order to match that time frame (if I am right on shipping time), yet others above have no VIN despite ordering weeks ahead of my order...

Make of all this what you will, simply passing on what I was told today :)

Thanks for this Jon! I have been puzzling over this since having the car (6 weeks) and tried the recommended process several times also. My wifi doesn't reach the garage so I wondered if the UMC update would come from the premium connection or not, same with the latest upgrade (20.9). The 20.9 upgrade did download presumably over the air and prompted me to install it so I've done so. I have tried connecting the car to my phone wifi via iphone hotspot but it seems the Tesla doesn't support that protocol (said it couldn't establish an IP address).

Anyway I now know I have to wait for a fix to get the UMC to upgrade. It did come with 10/15 connectors.

cheers.
The UMC update comes from the car. It is just that the current car firmware is not allowing the car to update the UMC firmware. In theory, you should be able to have the car disconnected from wifi and out of mobile coverage and still be able to update the UMC.

I don't know about updating the car's firmware over premium connectivity. Tesla seem to recommend using wifi, and that is the only way I have done it. I will have try hotspotting from my phone sometime. I have read that it works, so was assuming it would be a backup option (I have let premium connectivity lapse).

In speaking to someone from Tesla today, the process seems to be that you put in your order, and list your trade-in with photos etc.

The trade-in valuation is done once a vehicle is assigned to your order - but the absence of a valuation does not delay getting a vehicle assigned to you. This gives me the impression that not putting in a trade-in, or taking one out when one is in there as "pending" would not speed up the assignment of a vehicle to you.

Once a vehicle is assigned - and assuming the above is true, then I suspect a flag is thrown internally and your trade-in is assessed, and an offer is made.

In speaking to Sydney Tesla today, and in referencing my particular order (details in sig together with order and amendment date), the expectation was that we would have a vehicle around mid September. Frankly, I am surprised by this, as I would have thought delivery and unloading would take around 4 weeks from Shanghai? In other words, a vehicle would need to be allocated in the next fortnight to my order to match that time frame (if I am right on shipping time), yet others above have no VIN despite ordering weeks ahead of my order...

I think you are right. Your vehicle is assigned regardless of your trade-in status. What people here describe is that outstanding matters like trade-in valuations seem to prevent the hidden VIN appearing. In my case, I never had a hidden VIN, even though I waited until after my VIN was assigned to request a trade-in. Tesla took weeks on the trade-in valuation, but then had it within a day of me chasing them up. If you are in a hurry, it may be worth nudging them.

In your case, they may or may not allocate a VIN while your car is in Shanghai, or en route. They do manufacture in batches, which makes it hard for us to predict when production and delivery will happen. Overall, though, my advice to prospective owners is to assume that Tesla's information and future predictions about the car, delivery, support and Supercharger availability are wrong, if not outright deceptive. The most charitable description is that the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Thought I’d just share my experience here over the past few months. I ordered my Y RWD 9th of May. Trade in offer by 22nd of May. My car was actually built on the 12th of May but I didn’t get a VIN allocated until I declined the trade in. Deliver window was initially July 16 - Aug 5. A couple of weeks ago it got pushed back to July 31st - Aug 21. There are a few car carrying ships due to arrive at Port Kembla in the next few days. They have all gone via Brisbane as usual so good chance these are Tesla ships and my car could be on one of them. This is my second Tesla from Shanghai so pretty similar experience to last time 2 years ago. Just a longer shipping time.
Very similar experience and time line to me. Except I finally accepted the trade in offer and that's when things started moving i.e. vin assigned etc. Pick up today!

Hi everyone, Im an Aussie who lives in Hong Kong (Hong Kong forum virtually non existent). The cars we get would be very similar spec to Australia.

I just took delivery of my model Y standard range red on white interior on Saturday. I was constantly on this forum to see what people thought of the suspension as the test car I drive was too firm…bordering on harsh.

Well I’m pleased to report for anyone sweating on this, that the suspension is MUCH better than the car I tested. Overall the build quality is very good with no major panel gaps. I also noticed the quality of the carpeting and insulation is better than the test vehicle if perhaps I’m just imagining that. Also, my car came with ultrasonic sensors (thank God) and they “gifted” me a UMC . No idea if it has HW4 but not fussed on that either way.

Overall the driving experience is nice coming from a 2015 Tesla Model S and overall more comfortable and practical. I can tell that Tesla has made huge strides on build quality since then. The steering is very weighty which I personally like although some may not.

Car rides smooth with low noise levels and the steering is nice.

Overall this car was a bargain from a HK context and you get a lot of car for the money and it looks like they have addressed the cars 3 biggest weaknesses since launch (initial build quality issues at release, overly firm suspension and noise levels). Its no wonder this is the top selling car in the world now.

Hi everyone, Im an Aussie who lives in Hong Kong (Hong Kong forum virtually non existent). The cars we get would be very similar spec to Australia.

I just took delivery of my model Y standard range red on white interior on Saturday. I was constantly on this forum to see what people thought of the suspension as the test car I drive was too firm…bordering on harsh.

Well I’m pleased to report for anyone sweating on this, that the suspension is MUCH better than the car I tested. Overall the build quality is very good with no major panel gaps. I also noticed the quality of the carpeting and insulation is better than the test vehicle if perhaps I’m just imagining that. Also, my car came with ultrasonic sensors (thank God) and they “gifted” me a UMC . No idea if it has HW4 but not fussed on that either way.

Overall the driving experience is nice coming from a 2015 Tesla Model S and overall more comfortable and practical. I can tell that Tesla has made huge strides on build quality since then. The steering is very weighty which I personally like although some may not.

Overall this car was a bargain from a HK context and you get a lot of car for the money and it looks like they have addressed the cars 3 biggest weaknesses since launch (initial build quality issues at release, overly firm suspension and noise levels). It’s no wonder this is the top selling car in the world now.
Good to know. I ordered mine with 20” wheels. My current 2021 Model 3 is pretty harsh so as long as it is better than that I’m happy. It seems like a good time to get one. I don’t care about HW4 either but with the eyes on the Shanghai factory I think we would know instantly if they were shipping with HW4. If you want to know, the best ways to tell are the bright red tinge to the camera lenses and the length of the indicator section of the side repeater cameras. HW4 has a short indicator lens where as HW3 indicator is almost the full length of the repeater.

Yes that was my experience. The VIN is allocated as soon as possible. Accepting or declining a trade in doesn’t affect that. The only thing it affects is you being able to see the VIN on your account. Looks like I got lucky ordering my car in May. My fingers are crossed for you.

Reactions: Midnight Man
Very similar experience and time line to me. Except I finally accepted the trade in offer and that's when things started moving i.e. vin assigned etc. Pick up today!
I posted earlier but the quote didn’t show. That’s great news! I ended up accepting the trade in the end as the second hand price was dropping. With my delivery getting delayed I thought it best to take a hit and lock in a trade in. I got it added to the order again. My car is on the Sunrise Ace which docked last night. Hopefully get a text in the next few days. They will have a record amount of cars to process. There are also more ships docked and about to dock soon. Sunlight Ace is also currently docked.

delivery of my model Y standard
Ultrasonic sensors not as good as ICE cars. No rear cross traffic alerts, and I noticed it did not notice a side pillar when I was reversing. Didn't hit it - I just used the side cameras

The steering wheel feel can be adjusted in the settings

HW4 not coming out of GigaShanghai yet. If yours does the cameras would have a reddish tinge in the lens - sort of like a Terminator red eye.

Overall this car was a bargain from a HK context and you get a lot of car for the money and it looks like they have addressed the cars 3 biggest weaknesses since launch (initial build quality issues at release, overly firm suspension and noise levels). Its no wonder this is the top selling car in the world now.
Hi @gubes ,
Good to hear that you are happy with your choice. Have you looked at the suspension part numbers to know whether they are different? I know a few people were tracking part numbers to work out what changed in the suspension upgrade.

This is my rear shock..

Attachments

• PXL_20230622_232857201~2.jpg
    PXL_20230622_232857201~2.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 65
Considering this is a Model Y waiting room, can everyone please share their timeline for Model, Order Date, VIN allocation date and EDD/DD. It would be good for people like me who have been checking for hidden VIN everyday.
I ordered mine on 11th July for MY RW and still waiting on VIN.

Considering this is a Model Y waiting room, can everyone please share their timeline for Model, Order Date, VIN allocation date and EDD/DD. It would be good for people like me who have been checking for hidden VIN everyday.
I ordered mine on 11th July for MY RW and still waiting on VIN.
Glad I am not alone :). Every few hours - Check VIN in browser, Check waiting room to see any updates.

• Funny
Reactions: GazzaU1