Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered my MYRWD on 11th July. Still no VIN. Had a chat with Tesla Sales and they reckon delivery is still Aug-Sept. I am assuming there is a ship load coming soon and they will start assigning VIN to order on unloading.
We're in a similar position. Have a Est. Delivery between August 11 and September 1, but no VIN showing yet, or through the API. MYLR in Red.

Although, looking at the application for vehicle registration in my account, there is a VIN shown there and checking it on the Register of Approved Vehicles comes up with a match.

Last edited:
they will start assigning VIN to order on unloading.
The VIN gets assigned before the car leaves GigaShanghai. But you don't get notified of it until much later.
Knowing the VIN will not make the delivery any quicker

Also have you done the payment option. You can put anything and change later.
When Idid my payment option, the VIN appeared. Im not saying they are related

Last edited:
The VIN can be assigned while the car is at sea or even after it has landed in Australia.
The VINs are assigned to the car during the car build - before it leaves GigaS
Ship loading I suspect is random to an extent. Tesla possibly says for Ship X goiing to Australia we want 1000 white MYRWD, 500 white MYLR, 200 red etc etc
A particular VIN is not known to be on a ship until the ship has been loaded and departed. Once that occurs all the VIN on that ship can then be allocated to the various customers as the ship sails.

The visibility to the new owner seems to be after the ship departs Shanghai - as you say often while the car is at sea or landed in Australia.

(My speculation)

Holy.

Ordered MY RWD Black Paint, White Interior, Induction exactly 1 month ago and have a delivery date message for pickup next week.

This is our 2nd MY, with the first one taking 6 months to deliver so wasnt expecting it this quick. Novated lease isnt finalised yet!

Would love to know its build date but doesnt seem to be visible yet

Holy.

Ordered MY RWD Black Paint, White Interior, Induction exactly 1 month ago and have a delivery date message for pickup next week.

This is our 2nd MY, with the first one taking 6 months to deliver so wasnt expecting it this quick. Novated lease isnt finalised yet!

Would love to know its build date but doesnt seem to be visible yet
Build date is on the invoice - surely if pickup is next week you must have an invoice?

I'm seeing folks with order dates close to mine already getting pickup dates - in my account I see still only generic delivery dates, and I am still waiting on a trade-in valuation. I am thinking the trade-in valuation being outstanding might be holding things up?

Is it safe to remove the trade-in request, await a VIN number, and is it then possible to add the trade-in back in? Does this delay or skew the process in any way, or hold-up pickup awaiting a valuation etc?

I'm seeing folks with order dates close to mine already getting pickup dates - in my account I see still only generic delivery dates, and I am still waiting on a trade-in valuation. I am thinking the trade-in valuation being outstanding might be holding things up?

Is it safe to remove the trade-in request, await a VIN number, and is it then possible to add the trade-in back in? Does this delay or skew the process in any way, or hold-up pickup awaiting a valuation etc?
If you have been waiting for a while, the first thing to do is to chase them about the trade-in valuation. Removing and re-adding the trade-in option takes time, so if things are imminent it might cause problems. It can be really hard to know what causes some people to get their cars before others.

Do be aware that Tesla trade-in values are usually quite low. It is convenient to swap the cars on the spot, but you may also not be paid in a reasonable time (mine took over 6 weeks).

Do you have your home charging arrangements in place?

If you have been waiting for a while, the first thing to do is to chase them about the trade-in valuation. Removing and re-adding the trade-in option takes time, so if things are imminent it might cause problems. It can be really hard to know what causes some people to get their cars before others.

Do be aware that Tesla trade-in values are usually quite low. It is convenient to swap the cars on the spot, but you may also not be paid in a reasonable time (mine took over 6 weeks).

Do you have your home charging arrangements in place?
Appreciate the feedback on this - and you've confirmed what I was concerned about - removing the trade-in and re-adding it later may throw a spanner in the works.

I will give them a call and see if I can't get the valuation pushed through.

I have already in hand a UMC and tails, though am looking to have a Fronius J22-Go installed. At worst, I can run on the UMC for a few weeks, so thankfully am "sorted" on home charging - thank you for mentioning it though, as I can imagine it's an easy step to miss coming from the ICE world!

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum here. Feeling great to be part of this community!
I've put through the order or MYLR with MSM, white interior and 19" wheel on 1st July. I still haven't got VIN or hidden VIN yet. Is it kinda normal or should I chase Tesla up?

Thanks everyone! Happy charging!

Normal. No point chasing Tesla up, the VIN assignment will happen when it happens. What's your estimated arrival date?
This is exactly what I've found out during a phone call today.

VIN assignments happen (according to the chap I spoke to) based on a number of factors - those include the specifications chosen, date of order, and which state/city you're in.

It gave me the impression that the factory does not set out to build "your" car based on your order - rather, they will build a batch of X configuration which will then be allocated to clients who have ordered that specification.

As such, someone with an later order date than you might get a VIN or shipment/delivery before you do (this is my guess, extrapolating from how it was explained to me).

Also, from what I understand, changing finance, or removing trade-in requests from the account have no direct influence on when you get your VIN allocated, and again, based on discussion, the fact that a valuation is pending doesn't matter. A VIN is allocated regardless, which then triggers the valuation to be prioritised, and completed for your approval. Based on this, it may be true that an outstanding valuation will cause a VIN to be hidden beyond any sniffing of the code/browser extension - and that may be why some folks who remove the trade in on their account suddenly see a VIN when there wasn't one beforehand.

From everything I've heard today (and the chap was quite ready to explain, and forthcoming as much as he could be), it really is a case of "Be patient, young Padawan" ;)

Best of luck to all those who are waiting!

Reactions: nivas
I

Im assuming Im one of those folks you are referring to.

I believe Ive got a pickup offer because of a cancelled order. Normally this is great, but not if the cancelled order was from an early May build, which this was.

Cant trust those guys at all. Spoke to them this morning and they told me I was lucky my car just arrived today, then after I asked for the build date he confessed it was actually built 3 months ago. They have been trying to get me to pay and schedule a pickup date without even producing an invoice - which would have obviously shown the May build!

He was well aware of the cargo shelf and boombox and the fact that despite my July order, this car is without it. But he spoke no word of it until I brought it up. He said they can retrofit the boombox, but not the shelf so the car is permanently old news.

Unreal

Be careful anyone who sees a black rwd show up in NSW inventory!

Last edited:
Reactions: JonDarian
Im assuming Im one of those folks you are referring to.

I believe Ive got a pickup offer because of a cancelled order. Normally this is great, but not if the cancelled order was from an early May build, which this was.
Interesting to note, and thank you for the information :)

I wasn't trying to "single out" anyone in particular, apologies if my post came across the wrong way!

I've just got a memory for numbers/dates, and happened to know some folks who have orders around, or after my time have progressed further. IMO that's awesome - each and every person who can swap over to an EV is helping the environment - one of the driving reasons I want to change over :)