Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys, I put through an order on Sunday for an LR and just got matched today, with a subsequent email saying the car had arrived in Aus.

I've noticed that the build date of the car is 06/23 from the Ravs website and it was submitted to RAV on 25/07/2023. Given I ordered a fresh one (not inventory) would you guys suggest contacting Tesla to try and ask for a newer one? If anything I don't like the idea of the car sitting un-charged for a few months, but in reality, it probably takes a month to get here, I guess!
Of all the ways Tesla can (and have) screw over their customers, delivering the car 8-10 weeks after the build date is not really a problem. If you ask for a "fresh" one, I expect they will not be able to help you.

I assume you are worried about battery degradation. On the LR, degradation is driven by staying charged at high levels for a long time, discharging to deep levels, fast charging, and calendar degradation (i.e. over time). Only the latter applies in this case. If you assume the "freshest" you can get is one month from build date, then your car might be 6 weeks older than that. 6 weeks out of an 8-year battery warranty isn't much.

Of all the ways Tesla can (and have) screw over their customers, delivering the car 8-10 weeks after the build date is not really a problem. If you ask for a "fresh" one, I expect they will not be able to help you.

I assume you are worried about battery degradation. On the LR, degradation is driven by staying charged at high levels for a long time, discharging to deep levels, fast charging, and calendar degradation (i.e. over time). Only the latter applies in this case. If you assume the "freshest" you can get is one month from build date, then your car might be 6 weeks older than that. 6 weeks out of an 8-year battery warranty isn't much.
Cheers Jon, I think you're probably right!

On the other side, do you think any noticeable improvements were introduced during this time? I heard the parcel shelf is a new inclusion, but not sure of anything else?

It wouldnt be great if I missed out on a parcel shelf, but other improvements may be more important.

Cheers Jon, I think you're probably right!

On the other side, do you think any noticeable improvements were introduced during this time? I heard the parcel shelf is a new inclusion, but not sure of anything else?

It wouldnt be great if I missed out on a parcel shelf, but other improvements may be more important.
Two things I have heard recently is the addition of boombox and parcel shelf. Other than that I don't think you will miss anything.

It wouldnt be great if I missed out on a parcel shelf,
I believe June build no parcel shelf. Other than that it's all software upgrades which everyone gets. Also if you ask for a later build they won't give you one because the vast majority of cars will be allocated to the orders as then came in.

IMO the parcel shelf is more PITA for me as I often carry stuff which are high

Reactions: Nooodle
Do you think those would be on a June built car?
I have read that the boombox and parcel shelf are included on builds from late May onwards. I don't have either, so can't say if they are good or not. At least having the parcel shelf give you the option of removing the parcel shelf.

As I understand it, Boombox gives you a compulsory pedestrian warning system. That is good for pedestrians, but might be annoying for arriving or leaving home at unsociable hours. My Kona makes an obnoxious, loud bonging noise when reversing, and I am glad the MY doesn't. I don't know whether you otherwise have use for the ability to play noises outside of the car (including apparently speaking through the app if you have premium connectivity).

Have you organised your home charging?

• Helpful
Reactions: Epping2023
I have read that the boombox and parcel shelf are included on builds from late May onwards. I don't have either, so can't say if they are good or not. At least having the parcel shelf give you the option of removing the parcel shelf.

As I understand it, Boombox gives you a compulsory pedestrian warning system. That is good for pedestrians, but might be annoying for arriving or leaving home at unsociable hours. My Kona makes an obnoxious, loud bonging noise when reversing, and I am glad the MY doesn't. I don't know whether you otherwise have use for the ability to play noises outside of the car (including apparently speaking through the app if you have premium connectivity).

Have you organised your home charging?
Thanks Jon, there's a bit of conflicting advice so I wonder whether the may builds do have it!

Appreciate the advice and already have that sorted which is good news!

Hey Guys, I put through an order on Sunday for an LR and just got matched today, with a subsequent email saying the car had arrived in Aus.

I've noticed that the build date of the car is 06/23 from the Ravs website and it was submitted to RAV on 25/07/2023. Given I ordered a fresh one (not inventory) would you guys suggest contacting Tesla to try and ask for a newer one? If anything I don't like the idea of the car sitting un-charged for a few months, but in reality, it probably takes a month to get here, I guess!
You could easily cancel the order, purchase an August built ICE vehicle straight off the showroom and drive around in decades old technology.

• Funny
Reactions: Epping2023
Thanks Jon, there's a bit of conflicting advice so I wonder whether the may builds do have it!

Appreciate the advice and already have that sorted which is good news!
Think builds from 27th May onwards have both.
The boombox/PWS/UFO noise would otherwise be a $290 retrofit but is actually pretty annoying and only works in reverse - so doesn't help when you're rolling through parking lots and pedestrians walk out in front

Parcel shelf have heard mixed reviews - it's basically a folding piece of cardboard with magnets (as opposed to retractable)

Otherwise no differences since they changed to softer "comfort" suspension in March

Some of us had cars on the boat for longer than yours so don't be concerned about it sitting

Hi Guys,

I ordered Model Y White with black interior and 19in Gemini wheels on 18.08.23.
pickup location Chatswood Sydney.

Current EDD is August to Sept23.

Not being impatient her but wondering if there is a priority for delivery between Alexandria and chatswood?

Fenil

Just wanted to shout out some good customer experience from Tesla again today for me. Again, so different from a bit over 18 months ago when I ordered my model 3 and it was a cluster F from start to when I got the car.

I mentioned when they called yesterday if home delivery would be possible. I'm well inside the 250km radius they specify but live regionally and is a pain for me to get in with taking 2 trains and a bus. The lady on the phone was more than happy to ask around to see what they could do but obviously couldn't promise anything. Email this morning that home delivery approved and will be in contact to arrange once the car is nearer to the delivery centre.

Saved me a trip into Melbourne. Happy with that and like I mentioned earlier, you can only ask and be friendly. At least for me, Tesla seemed to have turned a corner big time with improving their customer service. Or maybe there is a big note on my file from last time to look after me who knows.

Reactions: Zinzilla