Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve got a feeling that GC is offloading Teslas where it’s currently moored.
not possible, the bulk terminal is not set up to offload vehicles.

1700178438957.png

It depends on the person I guess.
In my experience if something is frustrating that is exactly the time to not try and resolve it. Take a few breaths, sleep on it or go yell at a tree. All people deserve to be treated with respect and compassion. The person is yelling at someone’s son or daughter for no net result and they are the ones that need to control themself while they feel wronged or a victim.
Even if something is obviously wrong, having a respectful, constructive conversation will nearly always yield a better result.
The Tesla staff person is not a disposable object that’s there to take abuse, it’s very disrespectful and the situation isn’t their fault personally so I guess treat people as you would like to be treated is my rambling message haha.
Totally agree! And in my experience dealing with difficult business situations, the best result is gained by treating people with respect, politely reinforcing your position and working to have them see it from your perspective. In the end the individual can only do what they can and escalate up the chain of command on your behalf. Getting them on your side is the best way to achieve that. Yelling at someone just sends them into defensive mode, that is a basic human reaction.

In my recent experiences with Tesla, they have all been very positive and helpful… but I am not still waiting (thankfully).

It is frustrating and I feel for all you waiting on tender hooks.

Reactions: Jules22
Ahh makes sense, my guess on why they took a month is due to Australias biosecurity Laws being very strict, a private vessel carrier failed inspection 3 times then had to go back to its country, instead of taking the time and spending the money they dumped the cars in the ocean, hoping that doesn't happen here.
That’s disgusting, they should be fined for actions like that.

So - it could be so much worse... apparently Tesla has really pissed off the unions in Sweden
"Starting Friday, dockworkers in all Swedish ports will refuse to offload Teslas, cleaning crews will no longer clean showrooms, and mechanics won’t fix charging points as the labor dispute rages on."

Hey guys, this may not be the right forum, but it speaks to customer service. I'm in the market for an EV and with the issues you are facing and the recent announcement that MG won car of the year I'm wondering which way to go.... seeing as most of you haven't actually driven your Tesla's yet I'm not asking for a product review.
By the way, I have an extremely close friend that is involved in the PCC industry at a National Level so feel free to shoot me some questions if you like and I can get some clarification for you.

Hey guys, this may not be the right forum, but it speaks to customer service. I'm in the market for an EV and with the issues you are facing and the recent announcement that MG won car of the year I'm wondering which way to go.... seeing as most of you haven't actually driven your Tesla's yet I'm not asking for a product review.
By the way, I have an extremely close friend that is involved in the PCC industry at a National Level so feel free to shoot me some questions if you like and I can get some clarification for you.
There has been exponential higher amounts of ships delivering teslas to Australia every week, so don’t let what’s happening currently influence you to think it’s normal.

There are heeeeeeaps of people in here that are seasoned Tesla drivers who might be able to give you some feedback.

I had an MG as a loan car recently and it was so crap it was bordering on dangerous, have a look at one and then go book a test drive at Tesla, you’ll sus it out :)

Reactions: elddum
There has been exponential higher amounts of ships delivering teslas to Australia every week, so don’t let what’s happening currently influence you to think it’s normal.

There are heeeeeeaps of people in here that are seasoned Tesla drivers who might be able to give you some feedback.

I had an MG as a loan car recently and it was so crap it was bordering on dangerous, have a look at one and then go book a test drive at Tesla, you’ll sus it out :)
At this point, my Tesla alternatives would be a byd seal or Volvo ex30 but they’re also going to involve a wait.

Reactions: elddum and dronus
It really depends on what you want. EV cars are all the same, but there are minor features unique to each brand.

For me, I have collected my Tesla and have driven around 500KM since last Friday.
  • Cost - Y is definitely not the cheapest (BYD) but also not the most expensive (Merc, Audi, BMW) but I find it sits somewhere in the middle and is affordable (RWD variant).
  • Features - Some features even though common, just works on the Tesla without having much though. Things like using my phone as a key to unlock, drive, walk away lock. Auto-pilot when I am doing my morning commute, Netflix/Disney+ for my kids when my wife or I goes grocery shopping.
  • Supercharging Network - Have not had a chance to use this yet but I live quite near to one in QLD. This gives me that assurance and really reduce that range anxiety that if I need to top up, I can always just drop by and get it supercharged. No need for RFID cards, Evie app, or any other cables.
  • Looks - I have a white Y and if you have not noticed from the thousands of Ys out there, black hubcaps/rims, white paint, dark window tint = stormtrooper feel.
  • OTA updates - Regular updates from Tesla (some good like 1 stalk auto-pilot that just released, some bad like Vampire hunters update instead of fixing wipers). But at least I know the car will be enhanced from day 1, slowly but surely.
These are just some of the reasons why I went with the Y and did not consider to cancel the order (Except for thinking whether I want to get a 2024 version instead during this GC debacle). I was locked in for the Y from day 1.

Some of the other EV we were considering (noticed SUV-ish as I have 2 kids)
  • Merc EQA250 (Previously owned a Merc A180)
  • Volvo EX30
  • Volvo EX40/C40
  • BYD Atto3
None of the above beat a Y imo. Happy to take on feedback.

Good question. I don't think these delays reflect Tesla's brand. This could and does happen to anyone who imports goods into Australia. Honestly I think the fact that people are checking and updating this forum daily is testament to the excitement that most of us have. I am waiting for my first Tesla so I don't have real world experience, but I can tell you why I chose Tesla having scanned the market.
  • Cost - not the cheapest but I don't know of a better, cheaper car
  • Supercharger network - reliability of third party chargers is still terrible, this will improve over time but today it's a factor
  • Assisted driving - Tesla does this pretty well (without spending for "full self driving" which is a waste of money) and all the owners I've spoken to says it makes longer drives much less tiring
  • Interior looks - clearly this is very subjective, but I think it's super clean and completely different from any ICE car I have ever driven
  • customisable - the third party accessory market (and YouTube channels) is huge - this is really appealing to me so I can make this ubiquitous car my own
Hope this helps

Reactions: Clemzstar
Took delivery of MYP this week.
After reading countless threads on the crap Tesla Vision vs Ultrasonic Sensors I was so pleased to see USS on my Aussie model.

I guess for the Aus market, Tesla has some sense…

And coming from a BMW X1 with factory 19’s. The MYP is waaayyy more comfortable. #winwin

Reactions: phaz
After reading countless threads on the crap Tesla Vision vs Ultrasonic Sensors I was so pleased to see USS on my Aussie model.

And coming from a BMW X1 with factory 19’s. The MYP is waaayyy more comfortable. #winwin
At this stage, they have to have USS if sold in Australia.

Last edited:

Oh, we still have USS!?

I’m taking delivery of my MY on Wednesday and had assumed that we didn’t have USS anymore. I think I read it somewhere on the Tesla FAQ

MG4 seems good but the BYD Dolphin appears to top it in quality at the same price.

We here are Model Y waiters, so we've opted for a different class of vehicle to the MG4 and Dolphin.

A *kinda* similar car is the BYD Atto 3. I test drove one and actually really liked it. I've heard only positive things from the owners too. I decided on Tesla as I couldn't stand the ATTO interior, nor was it much bigger than my old car. We were looking specifically for a size upgrade.

Also, the Glovis Caravel debacle is an outlyer. Even so, we *may* only miss our original EDD by a week or two. Most people are getting their cars alright on or even before their EDD.

waiting on tender hooks.
Just as an aside, it's "tenterhooks". From Wikipedia:

Tenterhooks or tenter hooks are hooked nails in a device called a tenter. Tenters were wooden frames which were used as far back as the 14th century in the process of making woollen cloth. They are now superseded by stenter pins.

By the mid-18th century, the phrase on tenterhooks came to mean being in a state of tension, uneasiness, anxiety, or suspense, i.e., figuratively stretched like the cloth on the tenter.